Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I threw away 500 bucks!!!

A couple of years ago I found this procedure on YouTube. For me this really works. It gave me back a lot of confidence after almost loosing my first multi-rotor. I did have a FC board that allowed me to hover without any of my own input other than throttle. I take no credit for this procedure.

After you loose orientation......

1st Move the left (throttle) stick until the multi-rotor maintains a steady altitude.

2nd Move the right stick to the right or left. You can move the stick quite a bit. Staying with one direction through out this process has made it easier for me.

3rd If you cant see the multi-rotor move to the right or left (or it moves very little) after moving the stick. Use the left stick to rotate or yaw the multi-rotor. Once again for me I always rotated in the same direction. It just seemed simpler to me at a time when my mind was racing

4th Repeat step 2 and 3 until you can see the multi-rotor move either to the left or right.

5th If the multi-rotor moved in the same direction as you moved the right stick then the multi-rotor is facing away from you. If it moves in the opposite direction then the multi-rotor is facing towards you.

6th If the multi-rotor is facing away from you move the right stick back and the multi-rotor will move towards you. If the multi-rotor is facing towards you move the right stick forward and the multi-rotor will move towards you.

Then just fly it back to you.

After doing these steps while hovering right in front of you it will become very clear. I tried to explain this as best as I could. The video is far easier to understand. I have never typed multi-rotor more times in one post. lol Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Chemdawgds View Post
    I think the first chance I get I'm going to do just that. Take out the phantom and really take some photos of the tree tops, etc.... I would be absolutely amazed if I actually do find it. I'd be completely tickled...
    And make sure you have some way to track the phantom ;-) because there is nothing worse than losing the SAR craft while looking for another one.

Navigator
    One similar incident I had with my walkera X350 may be of some use, figuratively anyway. I was flying on a sloping property with woods either side, fpv, but without realising it I had drifted beyond a row of heavy pines and suddenly lost my video, no problem I thought, it was pointing my way (i thought) I'll just push on with and it will come back.. A few seconds passed, then I cut throttle a bit, and as I had been flying uphill from where I took off, I avoided GPS RTH as it would have plunged into the trees.. I waited, and waited with throttle now down, but with nothing but dead silence, I flicked the RTH anyway but it never returned. Anyway with a search party of four we finally (4Hrs) recovered it undamaged in a gully, nearly invisible and under a canopy of trees, but amazingly, it was nearly a mile further away from where I fully expected it to be. We only found it at all because due to the deep gully we had to walk more than a mile up before we could cross to come down the other side, it was just down from where we crossed. I couldn't believe how far it had gone in so little time, so estimate big distance if you are trying to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairx View Post
    One similar incident I had with my walkera X350 may be of some use, figuratively anyway. I was flying on a sloping property with woods either side, fpv, but without realising it I had drifted beyond a row of heavy pines and suddenly lost my video, no problem I thought, it was pointing my way (i thought) I'll just push on with and it will come back.. A few seconds passed, then I cut throttle a bit, and as I had been flying uphill from where I took off, I avoided GPS RTH as it would have plunged into the trees.. I waited, and waited with throttle now down, but with nothing but dead silence, I flicked the RTH anyway but it never returned. Anyway with a search party of four we finally (4Hrs) recovered it undamaged in a gully, nearly invisible and under a canopy of trees, but amazingly, it was nearly a mile further away from where I fully expected it to be. We only found it at all because due to the deep gully we had to walk more than a mile up before we could cross to come down the other side, it was just down from where we crossed. I couldn't believe how far it had gone in so little time, so estimate big distance if you are trying to guess.
    Always set RTH altitude to higher than that of your surroundings, I can't speak for Walkera but the phantom stops and goes up to the altitude you set then it RTH, unless you are above your RTH altitude then it just comes home.

Worst case set it to 400 or 500 feet, unless you're in the redwoods chances are you won't hit a tree.

People treat RTH as some sort of last resort emergency thing, different strokes, for me I use it routinely as I can kick back and enjoy the ride without fussing.
    But then I calibrate before every flight.
    Last edited by CongoSavanne; 28th August 2016 at 10:06 AM.
    “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Navigator
    Yes, you are spot on, however, that was many years ago with a very basic Walkera quad that had had no altitude settings for RTH, it simply had a preset height programmed in with no options, It is something people should always consider when flying in hilly terrain, or even with buildings etc.

Navigator
    Well since I spent a ton of time looking for it. With no luck, I decided to buy another. Found a used one for a good price. With new receiver and lipo batt monitor, I'm still 200 bucks under the last one. Reckon a set of lumineer 2206 motors are in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Getting a locator?
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemdawgds View Post
    Well since I spent a ton of time looking for it. With no luck, I decided to buy another. Found a used one for a good price. With new receiver and lipo batt monitor, I'm still 200 bucks under the last one. Reckon a set of lumineer 2206 motors are in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    As long as you've given up put out some flyers with a small reward.
    “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Navigator
    G P S

lost plane finder with uhf beacon

ground station with video recorder

telemetry with gps coordinates

nothig else matters

Navigator
    It does here.. totally impenetrable horizontal scrub forests with deep ravines, inaccesible gorges and giant tree canopies, just a hundred feet away in the wrong direction and it's gone forever. Horses for courses..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast