Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I threw away 500 bucks!!!

Navigator

I threw away 500 bucks!!!

So a few days ago, I had my vortex out in an open soccer field just flying and practicing my controls, etc. At one point, it got up a bit high in the air. About 75 feet. Normally I keep the flashing tail lights in my view at all times, so I don't lose it. Somehow or another I lost it in the sun, and couldn't see the tail light anymore. Once I found it, I couldn't tell what direction it was going in. So... To make a long story short, it eventually got so far away, I lost telemetry, then signal. So I'm sure once the signal dropped, failsafe kicked in, and it dropped. Well, me freaking out about losing it, I spent over 2 hours in the woods area behind the field with my radio trying to reconnect or whatever to find it. No luck. So... My Vortex, X4R, Lipo battery monitor, and 1 lips GONE.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to ever have this happen to them?

That's my story for the day. Now going to look for a new one.

Pat

Co-Pilot
    Keep looking. It's hard to find and the battery probably disconnected or died, but keep trying. If it's a wooded area, look in the trees. These things love getting caught in the leaves.

SuperLover of the future MototechRyan's Avatar
    Search party. I've spent hours looking by myself, then bout 15 mins with a search party found it.
    "every time you turn one on, an angel dies" ~ FinalGlideAus

I got one plane back a year later, there is always hope. But more eyes are always better as the above poster said- beer as a reward also helps chances Lessons learned from glider pilots-when you loose orientation the only stick you touch is yaw and keep calm. Wait to see what way the craft is moving and adjust yaw accordingly.
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

Navigator
    Comiserations, I can only offer you membership to the lost drone club (a virtual club), I think of it like an initiation process, or like falling from a horse, painful, and a bit distressing and it happens to the best of us at some point in our flying lives, but there is always a chance of recovering it, maybe with nothing more lost than your lipo. I have had exactly what you described happen to me, blinded by low sun, I found mine sitting happily one metre from a huge dam on my neighbours property, I hadnt lost telemerty so I just lowered throttle, a miracle not to have plonked in the drink flying blind. I have three other loss experiences, one never (yet...4 years later) recovered, it went to full throttle after arming, out of control with a full pack, it vanished to an invisible speck in a clear blue sky. I know all my immediate neighbours on acreages who kept an eye out, but I had to conclude it went up at around 1500 feet/minute for about ten minutes, so little wonder.. I expect it's still up there somewhere..hovering in drone heaven..

Quote Originally Posted by Chemdawgds View Post

Please tell me I'm not the only one to ever have this happen to them?

Pat
    You're not, it's far more common than you might think.

If a friend has a Phantom type MR with FPV it can help in the search.
    Isolate the potential area it could move in, and search from above as well as on foot.
    “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Navigator
    I have a phantom 3. I might just have to go there with that and search the treetops.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a phantom 3. I might just have to go there with that and search the treetops.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I lost a mini worth ~600$'s, lay out a grid and search that way too, the more you think it through prior to searching the less agitated you will become.
    at least, that's how it is for me.
    “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

That's my story for the day. Now going to look for a new one.

Pat
    I have always had a deep fear of losing a craft due to the cost of replacing a unit with a FLIR on it, so early on and after doing a ton of research on lost model trackers, I bought one of these.

http://www.com-spec.com/rcplane/index.html

Out the door it seems a bit pricey, but it works as advertised, we did extensive field testing in a highly RF congested area (Broward County Florida) and had no problems with locating a hidden 30 mw transmitter 3+ miles out.

Haven't tried it out here in Hendry yet, but with the lower noise floor we have I am willing to bet that range will double or maybe triple.

And while cell trackers are considerably less money they require a account with a monthly bill and GPS trackers are nice but need to see the sky which can be tough if your unit lands upside down or the GPS antenna cracks on impact.

Also the idea of using a Phantom to locate you craft is a good idea, because if the trees in your area are like the ones around here at this time of year, the canopies are lush and dense and there is a good chance you will see your unit from above in one looking down, a lot easier than from below looking up.

If a flyover on video reveals nothing, do a re-flight and take lots of stills, many times back at home or in the shop you will see something on a still you never noticed on a video.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Oh by the way if you don't find the unit, do post links to any videos or stills you capture here, I have seen your misery posted here before and when the person who lost the craft posted their content here other members have seen things that where overlooked and some units have been successfully located using that method.

The more eyes you have looking at your content, the better the chances are someone will see something that just doesn't look right and what doesn't look right, my be just what you are looking for.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    I think the first chance I get I'm going to do just that. Take out the phantom and really take some photos of the tree tops, etc.... I would be absolutely amazed if I actually do find it. I'd be completely tickled...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast