Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Long range miniquad?

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    320

    Long range miniquad?

    So I see a video on FB talking about a minirotor aimed for long range flights but haven't seen anything mentioned here.

    https://www.facebook.com/BanniUK/?fref=nf

    What have you got up your sleeve, Mr. Pirker? ;-)

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    47
    Long range means long time, that calls for efficiency beyond current miniquad performance. There are people scrimping and shaving to get 12 minutes, but that won't take you far, unless it's a down wind one way trip.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    we can easily get 15mins, probably about 25mins with a decent battery. all we've flown this far is 1300mAh and 1800mAh 4S. there is more info also floating around on various pictures on facebook. we expect to launch an entire line of quads in 2 weeks, some of them for racing, some of them for endurance, some of them for both

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    47
    I like the prospect of long range mini's, it sounds like you are doing some amazing stuff, I have fully equipped 600's and a 650 that I can get nearly an hour from, but I have only achieved it with motor prop efficiency over 13 g/w with custom lithium ion packs, and custom kingbilly, balsa and aluminium frames (around 85g), when running lipo's, i get around 45 minutes max, and the 600, same design but slightly smaller gets around 35 minutes with 6ah pack, easy enough with big quads running really slow props, yet I have tried with many different 22xx motors and 1806's (dys, emax and sunnysky) and cannot get past 6g/w, including up speccing bearings to high precision 693-zzMC2 with hard chromed reduced runout ball races, and dynamic balancing and re-gapping the stator, that can achieve reasonable gains, but still limited with high speed low efficiency props. The props are the big killer, even after dyno testing nearly 20 different 12" props for the big quads, only one stood w a y out as the most efficient, and it was the cheapest P.O.C that nearly got rejected as it seemed too flimsy. All the 4 & 5" props seem to be way closer in performance to type than the bigger props, 2 blade,3 blade, bullnose versions etc, however one standout so far was eachine bullnose 5046, but I have only tested abut 6 types so far in these sizes. Still, I like a challenge, just seems this one is a bit more difficult, even coreless brushed motors that totally defeat brushless for efficiency within DOR are killed by those tiny prop losses.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairx View Post
    I like the prospect of long range mini's, it sounds like you are doing some amazing stuff, I have fully equipped 600's and a 650 that I can get nearly an hour from, but I have only achieved it with motor prop efficiency over 13 g/w with custom lithium ion packs, and custom kingbilly, balsa and aluminium frames (around 85g), when running lipo's, i get around 45 minutes max, and the 600, same design but slightly smaller gets around 35 minutes with 6ah pack, easy enough with big quads running really slow props, yet I have tried with many different 22xx motors and 1806's (dys, emax and sunnysky) and cannot get past 6g/w, including up speccing bearings to high precision 693-zzMC2 with hard chromed reduced runout ball races, and dynamic balancing and re-gapping the stator, that can achieve reasonable gains, but still limited with high speed low efficiency props. The props are the big killer, even after dyno testing nearly 20 different 12" props for the big quads, only one stood w a y out as the most efficient, and it was the cheapest P.O.C that nearly got rejected as it seemed too flimsy. All the 4 & 5" props seem to be way closer in performance to type than the bigger props, 2 blade,3 blade, bullnose versions etc, however one standout so far was eachine bullnose 5046, but I have only tested abut 6 types so far in these sizes. Still, I like a challenge, just seems this one is a bit more difficult, even coreless brushed motors that totally defeat brushless for efficiency within DOR are killed by those tiny prop losses.
    yes, it's a big challenge. I feel there is a big barrier after 25-30mins, where simply adding more battery doesn't add much more flight time (law of diminishing returns ). our goal for this wasn't to be absolutely insane on flight time, but to offer a "miniquad" experience for more than 15mins at a time ... to allow you to get to some place 2-3km out, have a bit of fun, and then fly back. For range, everything comes into play, not just weight ... drag at fast-forward-flight, weight of the airframe, negative lift, etc. Simply tuning your "hover-time" has no value to us. We want to FLY!

    I feel the Vendetta and our custom prototype used in Austria are very cool contenders. With the Vendetta you sacrifice a bit of performance for usability. Here's what you can expect with the Vendetta 7" arm kit:

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,122
    Trappy -- I've been digging that 7" arm concept ever since that video came out in May. Is that part of what you're expecting to roll out in a couple weeks?
    [FONT=Verdana][I]Shut up and fly.[/I]
    [/FONT]

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
    Trappy -- I've been digging that 7" arm concept ever since that video came out in May. Is that part of what you're expecting to roll out in a couple weeks?
    Vendetta 7" will be first. It has been in the works the longest.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    Vendetta 7" will be first. It has been in the works the longest.
    Sweet! TBS gets more of my $$!
    [FONT=Verdana][I]Shut up and fly.[/I]
    [/FONT]

  9. #9
    Fretsaw Jedi Roboforcer X2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    Thread title to me associates with "Lamborghini that fits my family of 6 and full week's worth of shopping"
    You sure can have a bit of both, but neither will be at it's best. And Vendeta sure does look like a good modular copter, all you have to do is DIY new arms and re-tune it after setup change.
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    444
    There is a frame made in the USA at the moment that has an aero foil shape for frame and special arms that could suit this purpose nicely. .. just need to dig that link out..

    It is made from moulded carbon.

    M

    Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th August 2015, 01:28 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27th April 2015, 09:28 AM
  3. Short range with EzUhf on a miniquad
    By minim in forum ImmersionRC
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 25th October 2014, 08:04 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th August 2013, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •