Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Fatshark Killer

Yeah, summed up that you can use a google cardboard ;-) and get 1080P from a fatshark tx... with ZERO latency... well ok about 150ms latency and not really 1080P.

So, nothing really groundbreaking here I've been using a to d converters for my computers and phones for a few years now and there is always latency... granted some are better than others but usually you get what you pay for ;-)

One other thing I found with using the usb otg devices is my battery life on the phone takes a dump real quick. And when you get a phone cal it preempts most apps not to mention a few other side effects so make sure you shut the phone part down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    Yeah, summed up that you can use a google cardboard ;-) and get 1080P from a fatshark tx... with ZERO latency... well ok about 150ms latency and not really 1080P.

So, nothing really groundbreaking here I've been using a to d converters for my computers and phones for a few years now and there is always latency... granted some are better than others but usually you get what you pay for ;-)

One other thing I found with using the usb otg devices is my battery life on the phone takes a dump real quick. And when you get a phone cal it preempts most apps not to mention a few other side effects so make sure you shut the phone part down.
    Good to know I use this for my tablets, Gopros (time lapse) and phones.
    That battery is cheap, built well and fully charges a Nexus 7 tablet twice, and an iPhone once before needing to be recharged.
    I think the main thing I see here is, people are trying to find another way, I'm not the only one sick and tired of re-branded sub standard crap.
    As for latency...
    He states there is none, or so little he doesn't feel the difference between the FS goggles and this unit, but there's one thing you may not have considered.
    No more shitty DVR's, now you can use your phone/tablet as your DVR just by plugging in the phone version, or the USB version to a cheapo laptop (Android lappys ~200$'s.)

Another thing, he is using a capture app and states there is little latency difference between this and the goggles, all we need is someone to write and app that just sends the signal to the screen no extra processing.
    Then no latency at all.
    Last edited by CongoSavanne; 28th August 2016 at 09:50 AM.
    “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

You can actually see some of the latency in the video he posted, too bad he didn't put a stopwatch in the view...

And for processing latency to the screen to be reduced with a different app.... doubt that will happen soon if ever just because of all the 'layers' to get to the hardware that can't be accessed directly without basically coding from the ground up.

I'm in the process of asking around if it is possible to get zero/low latency video capture on a tablet/phone.

But don't forget this makes for a good DVR solution either picking up the primary signal or via redirect on your external Rx set up (rebroadcast via 5.8 add on)
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Quote Originally Posted by CongoSavanne View Post
    I'm in the process of asking around if it is possible to get zero/low latency video capture on a tablet/phone.
    You want zero latency but a monitor, a tablet or phone is not the way to go.

But don't forget this makes for a good DVR solution either picking up the primary signal or via redirect on your external Rx set up (rebroadcast via 5.8 add on)
    It's makes more sense to use a DVR instead or even a rugged laptop like a CF21 would be better.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Good video, and I found a new channel to sub. Thanks!

About the contend. I rather use my goggles, but the method seems good to recording if you don't have dvr in your goggles. Spending around 500$ on goggles is a no brainer for me. Its only a fraction of what any of my aircraft costs, and I expect to be using my goggles for around 3 years (depends on what new comes along). If I needed a cheap alternative I would buy a visor style display.

Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    Good video, and I found a new channel to sub. Thanks!

About the contend. I rather use my goggles, but the method seems good to recording if you don't have dvr in your goggles. Spending around 500$ on goggles is a no brainer for me. Its only a fraction of what any of my aircraft costs, and I expect to be using my goggles for around 3 years (depends on what new comes along). If I needed a cheap alternative I would buy a visor style display.
    I feel like there's something coming that could make most people happy, clearly I am not an outlier in my attitude towards what is currently available.
    Again a focused community effort is what I think is needed, I'm also done with nay sayers, it's clear to me that this field has progressed right along regardless of what people do or do not think can be done.

We would still be in a cave tossing sticks with feathers attached if we listened to them.
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by CongoSavanne View Post
    We would still be in a cave tossing sticks with feathers attached if we listened to them.
    Or could it be the "naysayers" just have a better idea of what is involved, the cost to execute such for such a small market and an understanding of the profit margins needed to survive?

There is no need for a community effort, if your idea of a Fat Shark killer is so good, you should be able to find someone to seed the project and a few engineers to help you guide it along.

Sadly too often the term "community effort" actually means "I need someone else to do it for me" and it's quite likely that is not happening any time soon.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Well. I am not a nay sayer, but I can't see it happening. This is very different from open source controllers and such. If people in the community who have the knowhow would make an effort, It would please me very much. Making better goggles is obviously a bigger challenge considering production costs than cutting a better quad frame or flying wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    Making better goggles is obviously a bigger challenge considering production costs than cutting a better quad frame or flying wing.
    And that's the rub, it's not like coding a new app, there's a whole slew of engineering disciplines which need to be part of the process and then there is the cost of prototyping, heck a basic injection prototype mould is going to run $3500 which is nothing compared to the steel ones needed to do a production run.

Then there's optical, so you another injection mould, want precision glass lenses, think $350K just for a small production lens grinder.

And on and on.

Bottom line Fat Shark is not going to be beat on price and beating them on quality pits one against Zeiss and that's not going to work either.

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 28th August 2016 at 03:15 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011