FPVLAB

Thread: *Help* Styrofoam - foamboards?

Forum Member

*Help* Styrofoam - foamboards?

Hello all Beginner here, and wondering which type of foamboards are used thickness? any help would be great Thanks

Forum Member
    We're not much for foamboard planes on this forum. The Flite Test guys use dollar tree foam board. However, most of us prefer molded EPO or hot-wire EPP. You will have much better performance and durability if you make your own hotwire and cut planes that way. It is really easy to do, too. Check my blog on RCGroups for a full tutorial on it.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    Styrofoam ROCKS!!

Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Forum Member
    if you want to use foam board check out the youtube channel Experimental Airlines.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ExperimentalAirlines

The flite test guys actually got with Adams (the company that makes it for Dollar Tree) and got them to make some special waterproof foam board which you can buy from flite test in sheets, or buy their kits. Foamboard is usually cheaper and takes less skill than hotwire cut EPP or other types of foam, but it's also a lot less durable in a crash. On the other hand, it may be quicker to repair depending on the damage.

Alex makes it seem easy but only because he has been doing it for so long and has all the tools at his disposal. He's right, it's not hard, but if you are just starting out, you may not have the tools like a covering iron to apply the lamination film that is required for most EPP foam builds, or a power supply or variac to run the hotwire. There is nothing wrong with a foamboard build.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]

Forum Member
    Thank you IBCrazy & SecretSpy I will have a look into the hot-wire and EPO - EPP ,will also check out your blog ibcrazy and the youtube channels secretspy I was looking into the setup below if anyone could explain if this would be expensive and hard to setup? +-+-+-+ PLANE SETUP +-+-+-+ ***************************************** Skyhunter Castle 60Amp ESC Hitec MG Servos TBS59 Camera Ezuhf 8 Channel RX 1258 800mw VTX RUBY Autopilot with OSD +-+-+-+ GROUND STATION +-+-+-+ ***************************************** Ready Made RC VRX PepperBox Range Video GS DVR Recorder Spektrum DX 18 Link: Thanks guys

Forum Member
    Sorry forgot to mention ,I do not want to record video Thanks

Forum Member
    you've never flown anything RC before? If that's the case I'd highly recommend starting with something geared towards beginners like a Skysurfer or Bixler instead of a skyhunter, and stick to omni antennas before venturing out with a pepperbox. Also you don't need the autopilot in the beginning, it will only complicate things. Spektrum DX18 is overkill and too spendy. I'd recommend a Taranis.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]