Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a sponsorship to excel in the hobby(I have FPV flying experience)

Navigator

Getting a sponsorship to excel in the hobby(I have FPV flying experience)

Hello. My name is Sunshine, and I'm from Charlotte, NC. I am unofficially known as Coolkid FPV. I just graduated straight out of high school and I am about to head out to college. I wanted to excel in a career relating to aviation and FPV drone racing is where I wanted to start aside from engineering.

I wanted to know how to get a sponsorship from a company like Lumenier for example if I want to get started into the hobby. I got into the hobby since January of this year by getting a kit from my local hobby store, but I spent more time fixing and repairing my quad than actually flying it although I do have FPV flying experience through Liftoff FPV. I know it is my fault for not checking to see if my quad is working properly. I am still a noob at cleanflight and betaflight but when one or more of my parts are damaged, I couldn't afford replacements because I am on a budget. I still live with my parents and they are complaining about spending too much money on replacement parts and when my KISS 18a ESC and Cobra 2204-2300kv motor burned up, I decided I wasn't going to spend anymore money on replacement parts and quit the hobby until I speak out about who I am was going to quit this hobby unless I receive a sponsorship. I spent thousands of dollars on FPV equipment and I keep wasting them because I was curious about the hobby and eager to fly. I wanted to fly FPV like Skitzo of Charpu with a real quad not just in Liftoff. I wanted to be a Lumenier Team Pilot because I want to experience more FPV and not just in the simulator. My parents can no longer support me anymore financially.

If anyone knows what it takes to be a Lumenier Team Pilot, That is great and I will thank anyone who can help me excel into this hobby. Personally, I am not asking for free stuff. I just need someone or something that will financially support me and in return, I will be glad to make FPV videos on YouTube especially as a future engineer.

Also, I would love to design quad frames for Lumenier. I have experience in CAD design primarily Autodesk Inventor. I used to design and 3D print a quadcopter frame for my senior project. Below is supposed to be my 3D printed quad frame that looks similar to the Lumenier QAV210 frame as it was inspired by it. Thank You and If you want me to tell you what my recent problem is, I will be glad to tell you. I will give you my recent specs, and CLI settings from Betaflight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	73814
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	73813  

Navigator
    yeah sure give me you bank details and ill send you a couple of grand

Quote Originally Posted by coolkid1105 View Post
    I wanted to know how to get a sponsorship from a company like Lumenier for example if I want to get started into the hobby.
    It doesn't work that way, you have your cart in front of your horse, to earn a sponsorship you need to build up a reputation as someone who can consistently win at whatever you choose to take on and then you might become what is known in broadcasting as a valued property.

Yes property, because to a sponsor that is what you are, not a person, but something that is part of a larger marketing plan and something that can and will be brushed aside when the next more valued property comes along and takes your place, at which point the sponsor might not even remember your name nor where to send your last check.

I would suggest if you really have your heart set on making a living in this hobby is get a job at a local hobby shop where you can learn the in's and outs on someone else's dime and after a number of years of that you can sit back and decide if it is really something you wish to continue to peruse.

Doing so will provide you with a number of valuable learning experience's and may open a few doors, it will also allow you to slow down a little and maybe discover what you are actually getting into is not easy, in fact it's hard work combined with long days and lots of time away from home, many times with little, if any, monetary reward. You will also discover (hopefully) that not everyone who smiles, shakes your hand and makes promises is neither your friend nor is someone you will really want to deal with.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

There was a guy called Skitzo I think it was and he had a similar post and had only been flying a short time. He put out videos that showed amazing skills and his editing was good too. I think he ended up with Luminier but he must have put in a lot work to go with his natural talent. Working at a hobby shop would be a great idea as they could sponsor you at local events to get you started.
    Last edited by Kreskin; 6th August 2016 at 09:06 AM.

If you wanna play you gotta pay............pretty simple really mow lawns ,shovel snow, flip burgers ,whatever if you really want it you will find ways to make it happen
    4 wheels moving body 2 wheels moving soul

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar
    The sponsored pilots are a fallacy...they are putting on a show for you to want to be them and buy the stuff..

don't believe the hype, just go fly and enjoy FPV..if you don't, you are in it for the wrong reasons and need a new "hobby"..
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    The sponsored pilots are a fallacy...they are putting on a show for you to want to be them and buy the stuff.
    Come on now that could never happen. ;-)

"I spent thousands of dollars on FPV equipment and I keep wasting them because I was curious about the hobby and eager to fly. I wanted to fly FPV like Skitzo of Charpu with a real quad not just in Liftoff. I wanted to be a Lumenier Team Pilot because I want to experience more FPV and not just in the simulator. My parents can no longer support me anymore financially."

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 8th August 2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    Thanks for all the advice. Because I am on a budget, and out looking for a job, I'm just going to suspend the hobby until I can get paid. Just because I am suspending the hobby, doesn't mean I am quitting the hobby in general. I will still be practicing in Liftoff and I will get my hands on a Tiny Whoop soon.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Definition of hobby: An enjoyable activity requiring a significant source of money. See: money pit.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Posts like this just make me shake my head. Even skitzo's first post did. I'm not trying to be mean, but you gotta put in the time, money and effort to prove you're worth it, otherwise nobody is going to look at you. From the sound of it, you're not there yet. If you show through your videos and posts that you know what you're doing, and if you post enough of them and are consistent, you will be approached. Until then, get a job to pay for your hobby, keep at it, practice, and learn. And, don't let FPV racing takeover your entire life.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com