FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wing to start with?

Navigator

What wing to start with?

Ok so I am a team Jeti pilot for fixed wing 3D and IMAC (http://www.mini-iac.org/). I have been flying quads for about 3 months now and want something fixed wing FPV. I had a buddy give me a Taranis and EZUHF setup.... From what I am reading I will need 1.3GHZ for the video link, but what about the aircraft? The Crash Test stuff looks good, as well as sweep wings... but I am not sure I should start out with a big wing even though I can already fly?

If you want to start small check out the Swift II, avaliable at RMRC.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=4084

Though they seem to be out of stock.

Other alternatives are the TekSumo or Popwing.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Don't worry about the size of the wing. Bigger is going to be more stable. Just remember that FPV ships are heavier.

Crash Test Hobbies makes a nice wing. I'm not a fan of SweepWings, though. Derrick has a good suggestion on a Swift II if you don't mind foam elevons and having to re-trim the plane frequently.

If you want a mid-size nimble wing, look into a TBRC Reflex or a Video Aerial Systems Anubis. There is also the Crash Test Assassin.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Don't worry about the size of the wing. Bigger is going to be more stable. Just remember that FPV ships are heavier.

Crash Test Hobbies makes a nice wing. I'm not a fan of SweepWings, though. Derrick has a good suggestion on a Swift II if you don't mind foam elevons and having to re-trim the plane frequently.

If you want a mid-size nimble wing, look into a TBRC Reflex or a Video Aerial Systems Anubis. There is also the Crash Test Assassin.

-Alex
    Alex and Derrick,
    Thank you for the reply guys. I will take a look and see what I can come up with. Do I need a gyro to stabilize the smaller ones?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowgto View Post
    Alex and Derrick,
    Thank you for the reply guys. I will take a look and see what I can come up with. Do I need a gyro to stabilize the smaller ones?
    Usually you're ok in the 36" and larger range. They get quite squirrelly as you approach 24", though. It depends on what you want.

32-42" is a good size for aggressive obstacle dodging with a good flight time. 24-30" is great for running small gaps and is usually almost indestructible. 44-54 is great for long range and stable flying while maintaining maneuverability.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Usually you're ok in the 36" and larger range. They get quite squirrelly as you approach 24", though. It depends on what you want.

32-42" is a good size for aggressive obstacle dodging with a good flight time. 24-30" is great for running small gaps and is usually almost indestructible. 44-54 is great for long range and stable flying while maintaining maneuverability.

-Alex
    ROCK STAR! Thank you!

Navigator
    I have the 26" crash test hobby scythe on 2s. The setup I have isn't particularly fast, but I fly for a good 15 minutes and can put it through multirotor gates. People on rcgroups seem to be pushing it to over 100mph. Nice thing about it is that it's indestructible and even if you do break it there are 2 in the kit

Navigator
    One word. PopWing.

Cheap, easy to setup and light weight so less damage-causing inertia when you crash. You will crash.

Just built a really nice lamm'ed, TBS-equipped PopWing that maidens tomorrow.

It is what I learned on with great success.

Pilot
    Love crash test hobby wings they are tough to break. I haven't been able to break my piņata despite untold crashes and bad landings. The reason is they are designed for air combat.

Alex, you are a great guy.

Alex makes some of the best FPV wings out there, and he didnt even mention it. I'd throw the VAS Chimera wing on that list. Great plane, can be built light or heavy. Good speed window.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast