Thread: Filter advice for small 130 quad

Forum Member

Filter advice for small 130 quad

My 130 quad has an ET200R VTx and an HS1177 camera. Both run directly off the 3S or 4S lipo. The V+ out on the VTx is only 3.61V so it's too feeble to run a CCD cam. My power board only has 5V out, not 12V so it won't run the VTx.

It's totally flyable as it but I do get some noise when the motors spin. I'm may want to improve it.

One thought is to wire the camera off the 5V PDB and leave the VTx on the lipo. I'm not sure which of the two needs filtering.

Another option would be to get a filter for both. I'd want something really small and light. I don't know if using a small regulator like https://www.pololu.com/product/2108 would do it or if I'd want a try LC filter (bigger,heavier).

Suggestions?

-l2t
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    Hi Ken,
    There a number of different ways you can do it. That Pololu 9V regulator would work well. I have a DIY option posted here: http://www.etheli.com/VideoPowerFilter

You can also get pre-made filter boards:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=4083

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=138

--ET
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]It's not about spying, it's about flying.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=black]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=black]etheli.com[/COLOR][COLOR=black] / [/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=black]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]FPV[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]^[/COLOR][/B]

Forum Member
    I think I'll go with a small solid state module as the bigger 'lytics and coils would be to bulky for this build. And I learned a $35 lesson as after about four flights my camera went DOA. And except for that little bit horizontal fuzz, the 130 was flying great and I was thinking about using it in the next race. So I fried a little chip in the HS1177 and I'm browsing for another one and I see on the Helidirect listing for it -- Attention: what we are finding now with the active braking esc's that a very popular we were getting damaged cameras due to the voltage spikes that can happen when the active braking kicks in, sometime up to 35 volts. So we have been suggesting that the cameras are powered from a bec or voltage regulator, often feeding them with about 9v and also add a capacitor to the bec.

So I order a couple 9V polulos. I'll probably through a really small 'lytic in parallel just for good measure. Not sure if it would be better to put the cap in the input or the output of the regulator.

-l2t
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    A capacitor in parallel with the battery will help to prevent voltage spikes from the ESCs, and the 9V regulator is definitely good to have.

--ET
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]It's not about spying, it's about flying.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=black]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=black]etheli.com[/COLOR][COLOR=black] / [/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=black]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]FPV[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]^[/COLOR][/B]