image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: QAV-R 90 Day Build

  1. #1

    Lightbulb QAV-R 90 Day Build

    First off I'm new, hope this is in the right place :P

    I'm just ordering a QAV-R airframe & since I caught the bug last week have been non stop cramming with as much data on my future build as possible. Starting last week thinking racing quads are kind of cool to now being totally stoked & having a decent understanding of all the parts & how they work together. I can probably manage spreading this build with all the fpv hardware over a few paychecks so my goal is 90 days till the first flight.

    After getting the airframe I'll be looking for PDB(if alternate like the QUADREVO w/OSD), ESCso, Flight controller & motors. I known what I could use to end up with a fast quad but I'd like any suggestions you might have on what I should use to get this quad to really scream!

    Originally I was looking at the Skitzo 2500kv with 30A BLHeli ESCs but just noticed the RX1806-13 2500kv with an extra 1/2 amp & I'm now even looking at the Cobra 2800kv. I'm a computer programmer by day so I think I can handle any technicals needed & I'm not afraid of spending more for better results but I'm still not 100% on the most ideal setup.

    Also over at http://fpv-flightclub.com/product/lu...avr-build-kit/ they're suggesting the Dodo Rev 3a being a F3 controller & seems to make more sense. All in all I've seen a lot of builds/videos that might be typical what works well configurations or even just what someone knowing less than I do throwing together parts they'really pretty sure about.

    Either way I want my quad to fly like it's the 10th one I've built after learning hundreds of mistakes & every little thing about the different hardware without spending my mortgage or equivalent. I'm extremely great full for any help in this journey I'm taking

  2. #2
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    41
    If you haven't seen this site, it's worth checking out for motor and ESC comparisons: http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/results/

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilki View Post
    If you haven't seen this site, it's worth checking out for motor and ESC comparisons: http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/results/
    Thanks! This looks really helpful with all the motor results. Not many ESC tests yet but still a good amount of data.

  4. #4
    I'm really liking what I've seen of the F60 2450kv http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/t-m...07-2450kv.html only thing is the weight at 35g it's much more than the 21g I was looking at with the Skitzo but the performance is insane enough to it might be worth it. I can't seem to find anywhere to order it yet. What do you think?

  5. #5
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by siforek View Post
    I'm really liking what I've seen of the F60 2450kv http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/t-m...07-2450kv.html only thing is the weight at 35g it's much more than the 21g I was looking at with the Skitzo but the performance is insane enough to it might be worth it. I can't seem to find anywhere to order it yet. What do you think?
    Yeah those F60 2450KV motors look like they have a lot of potential! But yeah I agree, the weight is something to consider, and also, more thrust means more amp draw means you might want to go for a heavier battery? It could be amazing, or it could handle like a flying brick :P

    I think given that you said in your original post that you want to have a quad that flies well without wishing you had other parts, I think you should do a standard build that everyone loves:
    2205 2300KV motors
    1300mAh 4S
    5040 tri blade props

    So many people have this setup and love it for acro flying. With this setup you know you'll get a decent flight time and a respectable amount of power.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilki View Post
    Yeah those F60 2450KV motors look like they have a lot of potential! But yeah I agree, the weight is something to consider, and also, more thrust means more amp draw means you might want to go for a heavier battery? It could be amazing, or it could handle like a flying brick :P

    I think given that you said in your original post that you want to have a quad that flies well without wishing you had other parts, I think you should do a standard build that everyone loves:
    2205 2300KV motors
    1300mAh 4S
    5040 tri blade props

    So many people have this setup and love it for acro flying. With this setup you know you'll get a decent flight time and a respectable amount of power.
    That makes a lot of sense. 5040 sounds good but why wouldn't I go with the Skitzo at 21g? Or RX2206-11 2350Kv at 26g?

    I'm thinking I'll try the Tattu 1550 75c to give me a bit more than the standard 1300s. When I compare the weight of other commonly used motors there's a lot around the 27g range & my thoughts are that by cutting a few grams here & there on other parts I'll be able to end up with the same total weight .

    The FrSky D4R-II is 5.8g but I was already planning on using the XSR, so there's 2g, the Lumenier TX5G6R Mini 600mW is 7.5g, almost half that of a Fatshark 250mw, etc. It'll help I'm sure but obviously weight on the motors/exterior vs weight on the core is going to fly different. I guess that's why people change parts after flying & seeing their first had results. I just saw those numbers http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4O1mxZ6USik & got really excited

    Another think, I see a lot of builds with 200-250mw TXs that seem to have good range but just assumed 600mw would be best. Why would someone use 200 over 600 & what is race bad really?

    Thanks again. Can't wait to post some videos of this badboy.

  7. #7
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by siforek View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. 5040 sounds good but why wouldn't I go with the Skitzo at 21g? Or RX2206-11 2350Kv at 26g?

    I'm thinking I'll try the Tattu 1550 75c to give me a bit more than the standard 1300s. When I compare the weight of other commonly used motors there's a lot around the 27g range & my thoughts are that by cutting a few grams here & there on other parts I'll be able to end up with the same total weight .

    The FrSky D4R-II is 5.8g but I was already planning on using the XSR, so there's 2g, the Lumenier TX5G6R Mini 600mW is 7.5g, almost half that of a Fatshark 250mw, etc. It'll help I'm sure but obviously weight on the motors/exterior vs weight on the core is going to fly different. I guess that's why people change parts after flying & seeing their first had results. I just saw those numbers http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4O1mxZ6USik & got really excited

    Another think, I see a lot of builds with 200-250mw TXs that seem to have good range but just assumed 600mw would be best. Why would someone use 200 over 600 & what is race bad really?

    Thanks again. Can't wait to post some videos of this badboy.
    Ryan(who owns that miniquadtestbecnch site) said the Luminieer 2206 2350KV motors didn't perform as well as others. Honestly, it's all splitting hairs at this point. You've done enough research that anything you buy is going to be great fun.

    As for VTX, I've had quite a few, from 25mW to 600mW 5.8ghz transmitters. For proximity flying, I found them all to perform very similarly. The last 4 transmitters I've bought were the banggood ET200, they are small, cheap, and I like the ease of changing channels with the button.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilki View Post
    Ryan(who owns that miniquadtestbecnch site) said the Luminieer 2206 2350KV motors didn't perform as well as others. Honestly, it's all splitting hairs at this point. You've done enough research that anything you buy is going to be great fun.

    As for VTX, I've had quite a few, from 25mW to 600mW 5.8ghz transmitters. For proximity flying, I found them all to perform very similarly. The last 4 transmitters I've bought were the banggood ET200, they are small, cheap, and I like the ease of changing channels with the button.
    Yeah I've actually been chatting with him a bit & should see the Skitzo results soon. I guess really what I want is something between the 2. Ideally no more than 27g but at least 1000+ thrust w/5040s.

    Technically 600mw is going to travel more than 25mw & on 5.8ghz I figured 600 would be better to penetrate walls, trees etc. But you're saying you've got similar performance from either? Wouldn't 25mw usee less power? I assumed that's the trade off & naturally 600mw is going to go farther even with a small antenna. Or am I wrong?

  9. #9
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by siforek View Post
    Yeah I've actually been chatting with him a bit & should see the Skitzo results soon. I guess really what I want is something between the 2. Ideally no more than 27g but at least 1000+ thrust w/5040s.

    Technically 600mw is going to travel more than 25mw & on 5.8ghz I figured 600 would be better to penetrate walls, trees etc. But you're saying you've got similar performance from either? Wouldn't 25mw usee less power? I assumed that's the trade off & naturally 600mw is going to go farther even with a small antenna. Or am I wrong?
    600mW is outputting more power for sure, but from my experience it's hard for me to tell the difference.
    My 25mW transmitters are immersionRC, so maybe they have a higher build quality and filtering making them comparable to the higher powered but cheap banggood transmitters.
    Something that has blown my mind and does appear to make a big difference is this receiver:

  10. #10
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    41
    And the results are in: http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/lum...04-2500kv.html
    As usual Ryan's comments on the motor and recommendations for uses are 100% spot on IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 156
    Last Post: 5th August 2015, 04:41 PM
  2. My Z3 build
    By mashednz in forum PILOT'S LAB
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 4th May 2015, 12:06 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th November 2014, 12:27 PM
  4. How to build the Disco Pro Gimbal -> Build log
    By Oliver Miami in forum Team-Black Sheep
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27th April 2014, 07:10 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th May 2013, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •