Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Request for more durable goggle cable

Forum Member

Request for more durable goggle cable

Fatshark,

I would like to request a stronger google cable be built. The current one I use for my dominator V2's has already gone bad again.
    Having a sketchy cable makes me afraid to move my 1.3 crosshair while flying because my current cable is on its last legs and periodically cuts out. This shuts off the dvr, and can do it for a split second without me realizing.

Here are the common problems I am having with the last 2 cables:

1) The rubber at the splitting connector does not get supported by the connector and puts too much stress on the thin wires inside.
    2) The power cable sees a lot of stress. It should be thicker both at the base by the SMA connectors, and the short one that plugs into the goggles.
    3) You can see the goggles go green and bezerk after a power/video interruption. This doesn't go away unless I power cycle them.

Clearly, the existing cable can use some improvement. Specifically, I would love to see more reinforcement at the connectors, and overall thicker gauge wire used. Consider using insulated cable on all cables with the ground around all the cables as this will both reduce interference and make it stronger. I know the main wire run has this, but really all parts should if possible. My current cable still picks up UHF frequencies in the audio just like the taranis speaker buzz. Lastly, a higher strand count wire will help make it more durable to bending over time. The + power wire right next to the goggles (which keeps breaking in mine) only has about 7 strands. I would be happy to send you a little piece of deluxe wire from hansenhobbies, which is the highest strand count I have seen yet in their 22awg flavor.
    http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...Connectors.pdf
    http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...vo/sw_dx26_jr/

I would not mind if the cable was shortened by a little bit to accommodate the increase in weight without pulling down too much on the user's googles.

Thankyou for your consideration!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rfriedman; 28th May 2016 at 12:34 AM.

Forum Member
    But that doesn't look like a cable I make. What is the model number of the cable you are referring to?
    FatShark - RC vision systems - [url]www.fatshark.com[/url]

Forum Member
    FSV2001
    Here is a link to it on your website:
    http://www.fatshark.com/product/fsv2...le-with-power/

Forum Member
    i have the same trouble with my cables too maybe use silicon wire. i replace mine ever 10-15 of use

Forum Member
    Interesting to see this post as I have just spent several nights troubleshooting a problem with my Dominator HD's that were cutting out. I found that I had a broken wire just before the power connector which caused an intermittent connection.

I cut the connector and the first 100mm of the cable off and spliced in a new one. After doing this, I've seen what poor quality the cables are inside. Really thin wire and low strand count. I'm hesitant to continue using the Fatshark cables. If there was a higher quality version out there I'd definitely be interested!

Subsonic

Forum Member
    I've found almost every molded bayonet-connector cable I've used (from all sources) to be very poor quality so this isn't just a Fatshark thing. The strand-count is low and the insulation is stiff -- making a perfect recipe for internal fractures that create intermittent operation. I'm starting to make my own cables up now using silicone wire and soldered bayonet connectors with external heat-shrink support as well.

Forum Member
    Well, I barely sell any of those cables anymore so its already been marked in my system as a non-reorder item and end of life. Problem solved in a way. Most people are powering off the battery and using a standard AV cable if connecting to a base station. Future goggles will have a new solution but it won't be back compatible.
    FatShark - RC vision systems - [url]www.fatshark.com[/url]

Forum Member
    Doesn't fatshark/immersion use its own pinout? Since the ground was moved, I have had a hard time using "standard" AV cables.
    If anyone has a link to a higher quality AV cable, please share.

I have thought about using cat-5 and making one myself, but I doubt cat-5 will handle repeated bending any better.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    sounds like a new video is do

Forum Member
    This is one of the reasons I use a relay... among others.

Looks like the newer goggles ship with a similar cable but has eliminated the barrel connector for power.

I doubt fatshark is going to make a cable like this that includes power since most of their sales nowadays are probably geared toward using the goggle module receivers on 5.8 for quad racing. If you are not happy with the 1000mAh or 1800mAh pack run times then you could put a larger one in your pocket with a longer power cable going up to your head.
    Last edited by SecretSpy711; 31st May 2016 at 02:04 PM.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]