Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulation Creates Challenges, Confusion for Drone Hobbyists

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar

Regulation Creates Challenges, Confusion for Drone Hobbyists

I did another media story, this is the 4th I believe. I think everyone needs to do these and keep up the fight for public perception.
    http://fox40.com/2016/05/23/regulati...one-hobbyists/
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Good job squishy! Seems like you represented us well.
    FPV - The World is My Airfield

this is one of a few I did a few months back:

The ban has since been lifted.

Be aware that if you start talking to the media you'll piss some of the um, more conservative hobbyists off. They don't like anyone talking to the news shows. I got word from a member of the local AMA club that at this point they would prefer that I do not show up at their field. (NOT the one I am a member of though).
    There's no place I can't be / Since I found FPV / But you can't take the sky from me

Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    I did another media story, this is the 4th I believe. I think everyone needs to do these and keep up the fight for public perception.
    http://fox40.com/2016/05/23/regulati...one-hobbyists/
    Didn't you get banned from you flying spot?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
    this is one of a few I did a few months back:

The ban has since been lifted.

Be aware that if you start talking to the media you'll piss some of the um, more conservative hobbyists off. They don't like anyone talking to the news shows. I got word from a member of the local AMA club that at this point they would prefer that I do not show up at their field. (NOT the one I am a member of though).
    Why would some be pissed off? If you are promoting safe flight, what is so bad about that ?
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

Quote Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
    Good job squishy! Seems like you represented us well.
    Thanks man. Ali, the reporter, did a good job of listening and hearing my whole story. they had the footage and info to roast me but they did a great job of telling the truth, I'm happy with how it came out. These are always a crap shoot and a risk for us all so I'm super happy I didn't fail yall...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
    Why would some be pissed off? If you are promoting safe flight, what is so bad about that ?
    They think it will piss off the FAA and make things even worse. Also, they don't want public attention drawn to the hobby.

Clearly I believe their attitude to be ridiculous but if it makes them mad there's not much I can do about it. I got some people angry with me when I did an interview with a couple of newspapers about three years ago as well.

FWIW I got called by the FAA after this story and spoke with an official at HQ in DC. In a nutshell he told me that the UAS people never wanted us grounded but the security agencies insisted on it. He also said that they would get us back flying as soon as possible and they kept that promise. Everything is pretty much back to the way it was before.
    There's no place I can't be / Since I found FPV / But you can't take the sky from me

Quote Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
    Be aware that if you start talking to the media you'll piss some of the um, more conservative hobbyists off.
    Oh I know, but you know how I roll too, I'm as subversive as they come, my FPV style is "F$#@ OFF I'm innovating here" typically, but I know a lot about this crap and I translate it well being an instructional designer and technologist by day.

My hope is that this story inspires others to go out there be honest. Tell them your not registered because it's lame and don't want to be in a public database with so much drone hate in the world, tell them you fly and have to break laws in order to be safe and sane while regulations that make no sense are argued about by people who know nothing about it. Go tell them you're a pirate FPV pilot, not labeled by choice, but because of what your hobby simply is and public perception of it. Only you guys have the knowledge and tools to change public preception and steer it toward competence and reality...the toys are leaving Frys and Best Buy at an alarming rate and those people literally do not care about your hobby..Soon they will be the ones speaking for you on TV because you are all too afraid...what then? you gonna complain that some laymen with zero knowledge is being interviewed and making a fool of all of you? I won't let it happen..not in my town this is my hobby and if someone is gonna make it look bad on TV, I'll do it..and all of you should be out there doing it too...dropping the truth..creating the need for change..
    Last edited by squishy; 24th May 2016 at 04:26 PM.

I have been physically assaulted by a drunk local community leader on a flight-line (baby boomer) for this article which came out just ahead of the 1st US nationals and had photos of a secret fly spot and brought attention to the subject: https://www.newsreview.com/sacrament...t?oid=17551837

Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    Excellent job.

Did you happen to get an air check of that report?

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast