Thread: Drak with add on Canards

Forum Member

Drak with add on Canards

As I fell in love with the Drak after Chris showed me the renders with the Canards, and after some succesfull flights it time to add the canards.
    I know Sepp and JetPilot already had succesfull flight with it, I also like to have them, but controlled by the PixHawk to be able to add a setting (switch) for the high AoA during landing (as Chris requested ). Friend of mine managed it to program a F35 VTOL correctly from loiter to transit into flight, so software skill should be there. My only and most worrying concern is the COG and how she handles with the handles. Looking at the theory of Canard, you will understand why not that much planes uses it.
    Please share all needed info: placement of the canard, where the COG move and how did you manage it. Pics, drawing on beermats will be usefull

Rgds, RicoFrico

Someday I *will* build Drak, and I'll definitely have operational canards on. I had DIY Deltastorm (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779331) with canards and it could do a stable hover againts the wind and land slowly and graciously like a swan.
    First suggestion about CG would be to listen what Chris says, parents knows their babies, second is to check other's and third is to double check yourself using this- http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_canard.htm. Drak has wings swept forward, so in (SS) section probably you'll have to enter minus value. I'm not 100% sure about this, so wait for somebody else to confirm or deny.
    From all different CG suggestions take the middle and start from there. At least that's what I'll do. Someday...
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.