Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Simple Wiring for Ground Station with One Battery

Forum Member

Question: Simple Wiring for Ground Station with One Battery

Hi there everybody,

I have been a reader on the forum for a while but am finally getting around to setting up an FPV system and plane. Also, I have been flying a Phantom for years but I have very limited experience with the technical aspects of the hobby. I realize this probably has a simple answer but I can't find it for the life of me (I'm also not sure if I'm drastically overthinking this).

I am ready to solder up my ground station but every setup I have found has 2 batteries: one for the display and one for the VRx.

Can I simply solder them up to an XT60 in parallel with one battery? Is it more reliable to have two?

Both the display and the VRx require 12V.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I've attached two photos.

Jack

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FPV Ground Station.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	72593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FPV Ground Station 2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	72594

Forum Member
    I don't see any reason you couldn't do this. Most probably use two batteries just to not have to make a connector. I currently use two batteries to power two 1.3 rx's, eagle eyes diversity and a 5.8 repeater. I plan on making an adapter to run off of one bigger battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    A system with one battery seems so much simpler to me (especially when voltage is the same across the system). I'm surprised that almost every basic GS I've seen uses multiple batteries.

It seems as if I am overlooking something, but what you said regarding the connectors makes sense as well.

Jack

Forum Member
    Single battery (lead acid 8A)
    Voltmeter for main and aux-out 12v
    Ammeter for main and aux-out 12v
    built-in secondary display
    built-in microphone (records ground audio into DVR)
    built-in DVR w/remote
    Built-in active 4-way video splitter (each output gain custom adjusted for purpose)
    x2 "ride-along" ports, (bottom left on top panel)
    four industrial phono jacks recessed in the side (12v power output, vRX/tracker input, pilot monitor video output, pilot monitor audio output)
    15 foot shielded sub-woofer phono cable for tracker/vRX separation
    12 foot non-shielded a/v cables for pilot monitor
    x2 tripods
    Skylark AAT
    diversity vRX with madmushroom and 5-turn helical
    Every single component in the GS is isolated by a Flytron Mickey LC noise filter

Many of my earlier FPV videos were shot with this, capturing the unsuspecting spectators and their reactions.

Last edited by squishy; 20th May 2016 at 12:53 PM.
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Forum Member
    I want to add a battery fail-over circuit to it with a second battery, so if anyone has a simple link to such a thing, possibly with a charging circuit built into it, I would totally bust this thing out again and make it even better (haven't used this GS in a long time, it just sits now). I have been using a single tripod solution with a 10inch monitor with built in DVR, diversity all that jazz. But I do like the old days of having to set this up and run cables and calibrate the tracker, this was the way we use to get penetration with 5.8ghz using super high gain helicals..

Forum Member
    I'd remove those switch covers... they look cool but they are just asking to be flipped closed accidentally and turn something off.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    I want to add a battery fail-over circuit to it with a second battery, so if anyone has a simple link to such a thing, possibly with a charging circuit built into it, I would totally bust this thing out again and make it even better (haven't used this GS in a long time, it just sits now). I have been using a single tripod solution with a 10inch monitor with built in DVR, diversity all that jazz. But I do like the old days of having to set this up and run cables and calibrate the tracker, this was the way we use to get penetration with 5.8ghz using super high gain helicals..
    Maybe someday my GS will be that robust, but for now I'm just hoping it turns on.

Looks like the only thing I'm waiting for is some new flux in the mail then I should be ready to solder and put it all together!

Jack

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    I'd remove those switch covers... they look cool but they are just asking to be flipped closed accidentally and turn something off.
    They are pretty positive and snap up tightly, only time they have been hit is by something falling on them. I like that they have protected the toggles over time and they also light up when powered on so I could see if I left my GS on after a beer down the flight line or whatever..

Forum Member
    Hi, for anyone looking for a power setup for your ground station here are two products I used to power my ground station with a 5500mah lipo.

This lipo setup supply's power for the following components in my ground station. I used troubled lipos that no longer serve my aircraft coupled with a cell battery checker lets me know early when I need to change the battery. It works for me...

Below items are hooked to the 8-block Terminal:
    ..ground screen monitor
    ..diversity receiver
    ..5v power for my DVR used with the step-down converter
    ..power outlet for my Fatshark goggles (four outlets total)
    ..Pyle video splitter
    ..12v voltmeter

step-down converterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	step_dn_converter.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	72624
    8-block terminalClick image for larger version. 

Name:	terminal_block.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	72625
    voltmeterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	voltmeter.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	72626

video splitterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pyle.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	72628
    Last edited by PlaneWrecker; 20th May 2016 at 09:16 PM.

Forum Member
    From my understanding I don't need a voltage regulator even if the 3s battery runs between ~11.4 - 12.6V? At first glance I didn't see one in either of your setups. All of a sudden I became concerned with the fact that my LiPo won't be turning out 12V consistently (not sure why I didn't think of this sooner). I think the display has a little bit of range in voltage input, but I can't find if the 1.2GHz Lawmate VRx has a Voltage range which makes me a bit (hopefully unnecessarily) concerned.

I finished the wire harness but haven't plugged a battery in yet..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GS Wire Harness.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	72641

Just ordered a $2 voltmeter from HobbyKing to add to the system as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneWrecker View Post
    ..5v power for my DVR used with the step-down converter
    I really want a DVR but my first number of flights probably won't be recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy
    built-in microphone (records ground audio into DVR)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy
    Many of my earlier FPV videos were shot with this, capturing the unsuspecting spectators and their reactions

That sounds like an awesome idea!
    Last edited by jckmcgraw; 21st May 2016 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast