Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Simple Wiring for Ground Station with One Battery

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    I want to add a battery fail-over circuit to it with a second battery, so if anyone has a simple link to such a thing, possibly with a charging circuit built into it, I would totally bust this thing out again and make it even better (haven't used this GS in a long time, it just sits now). I have been using a single tripod solution with a 10inch monitor with built in DVR, diversity all that jazz. But I do like the old days of having to set this up and run cables and calibrate the tracker, this was the way we use to get penetration with 5.8ghz using super high gain helicals..
    Try one of these?
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854050

I ordered 5 from Amazon for a few dollars, but haven't been able to take one to work and see how much current it can handle.

I have been using a 1 battery GS since my first FPV flights. My 1.3gh receiver has an audio voltage alarm in it too.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rfriedman; 22nd May 2016 at 03:22 AM.

Forum Member
    I use a terminal block, you can get them at Radio Shack or cheap online, make small jumpers and connect asd many devices to the battery as you please.

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    I use a terminal block, you can get them at Radio Shack or cheap online, make small jumpers and connect asd many devices to the battery as you please.
    I'll have to pick up one of those once I start adding to my ground station.

Is it crucial that my 1.2ghz lawmate VRx has exactly 12V of power from the battery, or is between 11.4-12.6 close enough? I can't find any specifications on it besides it saying 12V input power.

Forum Member
    The '12 Volt' spec is usually a nominal 12 volts... anywhere from 10.5 to 14.5 sometimes more or less, it is best to actually bench test the lower point if you have a variable power supply... that way you can see what happens when voltages start to sag too far especially if you're going to put a meter on the GS. Another thing you can do is open the case up and see just what the pwr in feeds, usually it will go to some sort of voltage regulator... from there you could look up the specs on said regulator

Forum Member

Question: Simple Wiring for Ground Station with One Battery

I don't have a lawmate, but most items in the rc world, when they say 12v, are 3s compatible. I would have to assume lawmate is as well!

Edit: he beat me to it, and a much better answer at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by InvertedG-Force; 22nd May 2016 at 09:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Some cheap video transmitters fade out under 10.7V, so take the 12V/3s spec with a grain of salt.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Thanks for the input! I'll keep it within +-0.6V of 12 and it sounds like I should be ok.
    Last edited by jckmcgraw; 24th May 2016 at 08:47 PM.

Forum Member
    Hi guys I've got a very similar question to jckmcgraw's one.

I'm waiting for my fpv gear to arrive in the mail and in the meantime I'm thinking of how to power up, the soon to be GS, off one 4S 5000mah Lipo - with a XT60 connector.

I would like to keep it very simple so for now the ground station will consist of a 1.3GHz VRx/Antenna + LCD monitor, both at 12V, and the plan is to use a 3-way 2.1mm Male Barrel Connectors to feed them off the 4S 5A LiPo. For that I would plug the 3-Way 2.1mm barrel Connectors chord to a XT60 Male to 2.1mm Barrel Connector and then to the battery.

3-way 2.1mm Male Barrel Connectors
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=3979

XT60 Male to 2.1mm Barrel Connector
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=3730

Now a lot of questions have suddenly arisen in my mind:

1) What do I need to do/add to make sure I feed 12V to both devices?

2) Is the 3-Way 2.1mm barrel connector chord able to feed 12V to each component at a constant rate, or properly so to say - I don't really know much about electronics. But I am enjoying learning as I go further in this hobby.

3) If I use a 3S LiPo, regardless os capacity 1500-5000mah, will it solve the problem? That's the last resort because I've already got the 4S 5A LiPo. So please if someone could point me in the right direction on how I could solve 1) and 2) that would be great.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Forum Member
    I'm fairly new to all of this (as you can probably tell), but I think I have a grasp on most of it at this point. Take everything I say with a grain of salt just in case..

A 4s LiPo battery puts out somewhere between 14.2 - 16.8V (these numbers may be slightly off— I just multiplied 4*4.2=16.8 & 4*3.55). A 3s battery puts out somewhere between 11.4-12.6V. If your electronics can handle a wide range of voltage including the 4s battery range then you could use the 4s battery. Otherwise I think you need a voltage step down or a 3s battery.

For #2: I would assume that the connector is soldered up in parallel in which the voltage stays the same across the system
    For #3: Capacity of a LiPo battery just determines how quickly the voltage reading drops (how long the battery lasts)

Hopefully some of this helped, but I would recommend double checking with some other sources as I am new to all of this as well.

If anybody sees something incorrect about what I posted please let me know!
    Last edited by jckmcgraw; 10th June 2016 at 11:09 AM.

Forum Member
    That pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast