Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings for RunCam Sky+ (PZ0420 super had ccd based camera)

Forum Member

Settings for RunCam Sky+ (PZ0420 super had ccd based camera)

I was flying my 250 today late afternoon with a low sun angle. I found at some angles my image was fine and others the ground was almost completely dark. Almost impossible to fl, I could just barely reorient using a few white birch trees for reference until I could get to a position where I could make stuff out again. I'm still running stock settings on the cam. Suggtions for what to change to get better results with lower sun angles?
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    YouTube.

Forum Member
    Turn the wdr setting to "on".

Then also check out the runcam forums for more info.

Forum Member
    Turn off wdr then don't search the forums. Also, never take thee lens cap off. The lens gets dirty if you do

Forum Member
    Yeah, RTFM. I have searched for documentation but didn't find much for RunCam. What I didn't realize is that the RunCam is setup-wise exactly the same as the PZ0420. And what I was looking for is recommendations in writing more so than a video tutorial. I'll like totally ADD and have a tough time watching a four minutes video which conveys information that could be expressed in writing in one paragraph.

Yesterday I tried it with WDR on and brightness set to about 55 and it was infinity worse. The ground was almost totally black. I didn't bring the setup cable with me to the field as I don't think it's practical to fly quad with it attached and it's a real pain to get attach and detach. But I definitely have to spend some time just messing around with it in the yard until I get settings that work.
    Last edited by learn2turn; 29th April 2016 at 08:45 AM.
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    Just checked my camera. The settings I set yesterday never saved, wdr was still off and brightness was at 40. I set it to On and 55 wdr on a couple days ago. I changed the settings again to On and 60; power down and powered up and they held and look good when testing out in the yard. 60 is a tad bright but I'd rather have the sky wash out and have better visiion in the shadow of the trees. Will bring the cable this time in case I need to adjust at the field.

-l2t
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    Just checked my camera. The settings I set yesterday never saved, wdr was still off and brightness was at 40. I set it to On and 55 wdr on a couple days ago. I changed the settings again to On and 60; power down and powered up and they held and look good when testing out in the yard. 60 is a tad bright but I'd rather have the sky wash out and have better visiion in the shadow of the trees. Will bring the cable this time in case I need to adjust at the field.

-l2t
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    Let us know! I bet turning it on does wonders verses the crazy guy who said turn it off after I mentioned turning it on. But hey what do I know. Lol. Just have a few of these cams. .

Forum Member
    Flew a few flights yesterday around 5:30PM. For the most part much much better. I now get a good image almost all the time. Only when very close to directly into the setting sun, I still get black out. I wonder about that as I've seen FPV videos with the sun actually in the frame that don't black up. But there were also thin clouds in the area of the sun, maybe that makes such a big white spot that the camera gets confused. I do recall that I did order an IR-filtered camera.

-l2tr
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    This is the model I ordered -- http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=4787

None of the tutorials I found on line made any changes to backlight compensation. I don't know that turn it on would be better or worse. Curious if anyone has tried it.
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast