Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There has to be something better for FPV DVR!

Co-Pilot
    Some camcorders will record from an external video source -- not so common these days though.

Bruce,

If you do find one that records onto SD or micro SD from an external source, please post here.

I did try one old camcorder, but it could not recognize the SD cards and said "No memory" even though it had an 8Gb card.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfriedman View Post
    Bruce,

If you do find one that records onto SD or micro SD from an external source, please post here.

I did try one old camcorder, but it could not recognize the SD cards and said "No memory" even though it had an 8Gb card.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    The cheapest I have found locally in a pawn shop was a canon from this list. http://www.4kam.com/camcorders_with_av-in_av_input.htm
    But it doesn't need to be a card does it? A DVD would be as good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use one of the Sony MC6's for recording my long range flights.. its only marginally better than a japan DVR derivative but it is better... I can record straight to DVD's so less chance of losing stuff accidentally.
    Unfortunately they aren't cheap as peeps use them for VHS etc tape to DVD conversion businesses. Im pretty sure the MC6 has been superseded by a newer model.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vrd-mc6

Heres a vid I recorded on it, When I'm close to the receiver (end of vid) the pic quality is awesome, But It can only record as well as the signal is received.

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 26th May 2016 at 04:18 AM.

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    maybe this?
    http://www.4kam.com/4Kam_DV4_solid_s...o_recorder.htm

I am tempted to just go to my local goodwill or ARC store and see if they have any Hi8 camcorders. The compression seen in the fatshark dvr and also my old RMRC dvr leaves much to be desired.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Navigator
    I did exactly that and got a Sony handycam DVD recorder for 30 just to test the theory. I was doing a straight comparison between the DVD recorder as supplied by RMRC and the handycam. This model handycam can record from to in, not all handcams can. I rigged both recorders via a splitter to the video out from my MFD AT. So this is what I found regarding the handycam recording at short play
    For
    25% better quality
    Easy to play back to tv

Against
    A real faff to set up to record
    DVD disk only records for 15 mins so a longer flight would not be recorded without changing disc.
    You have to finalise the disk to get the image off
    I had a real problem downloading the files to windows movie maker (See below)
    As above no loop recording

The editing issues may have been my somewhat long in the tooth computer. However I found that with Sony Movie Studio 9 I could take files direct from the camera. I am now in the process of building a new " super computer" from components so the editing issue might go away. As a side note I really like Sony Vegas /movie studio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigator
    Easycap and an Linux, android, capture setup might be easy enough, with more settings higher data rate.

Generally you won't get better than Mini-DV (s-video if possible) although usually you can only choose and NTSC or pal for your tape based recorders

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Some camcorders will record from an external video source -- not so common these days though.
    Yes, my friend! there are
    http://www.ebay.com/p/AIPTEK-DZO-V58...ilver/99977005

The Aiptek-dz0-v58n is the one you want too as it will record even static on the external video input. No blue screening, and the -n camera will handle a larger sd card than the non -n version. Great DVR for FPV. Used it for long range for years.

Also maybe consider using the LaserBGC fpv module with an external receiver and just save the video to your smartphone.

RMRC has a really nice DVR with a built in 5.8 ghz receiver. I bought one a while back and for SD recording it works great!

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=3895

It isn't cheap, but well, you get what you pay for.
    FPV - The World is My Airfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast