Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossfire + Pixhawk

Navigator
    I can't find where in the parameter tree to enable mavlink on the telemetry port. The menu on the manual seems to be from an older version. Using a Pixhawk mini and trying with either Q GCS or mission planner

Navigator
    Use mission planner, and the settings been the same for years... the Sr settings are more towards the bottom

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by rronald View Post
    I'm running the full sized Crossfire to two planes (at separate times).

Plane #1 is a XUAV Clouds. The receiver is the TBS Crossfire Diversity receiver.
    Plane #2 is a RMRC Nano Goblin. Appropriately enough, this one has the TBS Crossfire Nano receiver (using the Immortal-T antenna).

Both work pretty well...most of the time. However, that's not good enough for full confidence.

I can't keep the telemetry link up with either plane. Before switching to Crossfire, I was using Mission Planner on a laptop running over the Silk Radios. Rock solid for dozens of flights. Never had them drop out.

With the Crossfire setup, the telemetry link rarely make it more than a few minutes before it drops out. I get a loss of telemetry warning on my Taranis X9D and the link to the laptop is lost. Plus, it does not reconnect on its own. I can reconnect manually most of the time, but it takes quite a while to do so (about a minute or two to download all the parms) and it's a royal PITA to be looking at the laptop, trying to re-establish the link while also flying a plane. I've also tried the Tower app on an android phone and get similar results. These drops are not due to Bluetooth problems, they occur because the link between TX and RX is momentarily interrupted. Immediately before the event (.1 second) and immediately after the event (.1 second), the link quality is great (often at 100%) and the SNR is excellent.

Even worse, the dropouts often impact the RC link as well.

Thus for a 30 minute local flight (never more than 1KM away and always with enough altitude to maintain LOS), I can typically expect to loose telemetry 3-4 times and will usually get a few short failsafe events. Most of the time a second w/o control is not a major issue, but someday I fear, it's going to catch me too close to the ground.

TBS was kind enough to replace my diversity receiver. The first flight seems to indicate that the new receiver could be better. There were no telemetry drops. However, there were still a couple of RC control drops, albeit very brief (a couple occurrences of 1 or 2 tenths of a second). And it seems odd that I would have the same problem with two totally different receivers (including different designs, etc.).

Does anyone succeed in keeping Mavlink connections up for entire flights?

hey rronald, do you have any updates on your telemetry links issues or did you get it resolved somehow? are you using "norma" or "forced telemetry" mode? not that i have a solution, just curious as i am debating whether to install silk-radios in adition to the crossfire (which would be a bummer)...

Navigator
    I'm in the same situation.

With Crossfire I cannot have a robust telemetry link.
    Dozens of flights with the same issue.
    tested with mini PixFalcon, Pixhawk (clone and genuine boards).
    The transmitter is a Taranis X9D Plus.

The rc link (embedded in the mavlink) seems quite solid

Quote Originally Posted by rronald View Post
    I'm running the full sized Crossfire to two planes (at separate times).

Plane #1 is a XUAV Clouds. The receiver is the TBS Crossfire Diversity receiver.
    Plane #2 is a RMRC Nano Goblin. Appropriately enough, this one has the TBS Crossfire Nano receiver (using the Immortal-T antenna).

Both work pretty well...most of the time. However, that's not good enough for full confidence.

I can't keep the telemetry link up with either plane. Before switching to Crossfire, I was using Mission Planner on a laptop running over the Silk Radios. Rock solid for dozens of flights. Never had them drop out.

With the Crossfire setup, the telemetry link rarely make it more than a few minutes before it drops out. I get a loss of telemetry warning on my Taranis X9D and the link to the laptop is lost. Plus, it does not reconnect on its own. I can reconnect manually most of the time, but it takes quite a while to do so (about a minute or two to download all the parms) and it's a royal PITA to be looking at the laptop, trying to re-establish the link while also flying a plane. I've also tried the Tower app on an android phone and get similar results. These drops are not due to Bluetooth problems, they occur because the link between TX and RX is momentarily interrupted. Immediately before the event (.1 second) and immediately after the event (.1 second), the link quality is great (often at 100%) and the SNR is excellent.

Even worse, the dropouts often impact the RC link as well.

Thus for a 30 minute local flight (never more than 1KM away and always with enough altitude to maintain LOS), I can typically expect to loose telemetry 3-4 times and will usually get a few short failsafe events. Most of the time a second w/o control is not a major issue, but someday I fear, it's going to catch me too close to the ground.

TBS was kind enough to replace my diversity receiver. The first flight seems to indicate that the new receiver could be better. There were no telemetry drops. However, there were still a couple of RC control drops, albeit very brief (a couple occurrences of 1 or 2 tenths of a second). And it seems odd that I would have the same problem with two totally different receivers (including different designs, etc.).

Does anyone succeed in keeping Mavlink connections up for entire flights?

have you guys tryed t run a factory reset for the rx and the tx?

for the how to:
    both: set the op mode to open (not ce.....)
    big tx: rx - navigate to the rx menu, scroll down -> factory reset -> ok, ok
    tx - main menu / general scroll down -> factory reset -> ok, ok

smal tx: here you will only find the reset option only for the tx or the r (not sure which of them it was) -> this will reset BOTH units

___important___
    powercycle your tx and the rx after this!
    now you need to redo your settings (output map, channel map, failsafe, op mode....)

if you do not powercycle and go to ceck your settings, the old ones are still activ, till you disconnect your battery for the first time!

Navigator
    I cacymarc, thank for the suggestion...I'll try it...

But the issue is still present also with a brand new rx.

For the sake of clarity...I've tried with bothe the latest stable and beta fw versions...the issue is still the same...

Quote Originally Posted by cracymarc View Post
    have you guys tryed t run a factory reset for the rx and the tx?

for the how to:
    both: set the op mode to open (not ce.....)
    big tx: rx - navigate to the rx menu, scroll down -> factory reset -> ok, ok
    tx - main menu / general scroll down -> factory reset -> ok, ok

smal tx: here you will only find the reset option only for the tx or the r (not sure which of them it was) -> this will reset BOTH units

___important___
    powercycle your tx and the rx after this!
    now you need to redo your settings (output map, channel map, failsafe, op mode....)

if you do not powercycle and go to ceck your settings, the old ones are still activ, till you disconnect your battery for the first time!

imho there are only two options for this:
    1. the reset kills your problems. you are not the first one with range problems, that the reset solved instandly.
    2.1 your tx anterenna is broken (if you use the standart t-style antenna)
    2.2 the connection from the pcb to the sma plug (inside the modul) hase become loose(micro tx)

Navigator
    I'm pretty sure I can remove from the list points 2 & 3...

tested the same rig on an iNav S800...no issue at all (more than 20km distance LOS)

Quote Originally Posted by cracymarc View Post
    imho there are only two options for this:
    1. the reset kills your problems. you are not the first one with range problems, that the reset solved instandly.
    2.1 your tx anterenna is broken (if you use the standart t-style antenna)
    2.2 the connection from the pcb to the sma plug (inside the modul) hase become loose(micro tx)

Navigator
    Im in the same boot.
    It is not a range problem.

For me it is just a problem between crossfire and mavlink. It works, but it is really unstable. Also the bluetooth connection is horrible!

I love my crossfire on my mini quads and planes which don't have mavlink. But with mavlink it is just unreliable!

Quad newbie
    I have found that the pixhawk can be tricky getting failsafe/rth setup using RC over mavlink. I have therefore set all of mine to have control over pwm, leaving just the mavlink telemetry over the data link.

Seems to suit all my use cases without problem.

Steve.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    W7STE