Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS Unify Pro 5.8G Heat

Navigator

Cool TBS Unify Pro 5.8G Heat

I apologize if anyone has already brought this up, but I just set up my Unify Pro 5.8G VTx and it works great. I'm super happy with it, but I noticed that it gets pretty hot to the touch even within just a couple of minutes of powering on the quad-- is this normal? This is before I have actually flown the quad, so I'm just cycling through the menus. I do have a TBS Triumph antenna connected to the VTx and Fatshark Dominator goggles that I am using.

I'm running it through my TBS Core Pro Race, which is connected to my TBS ZeroZero camera, and TBS PowerCube, so the default power voltages should be correct. I'm powering the full quad with a Lumenier 4S 1300mah battery.

I'm absolutely loving all of this TBS gear so I hope the VTx heat is normal. Thanks for all of the great products and service that y'all provide!

Navigator
    All video transmitters heat up and can even burn out if left powered on without sufficient airflow. Keep that in mind when you are looking at the options in the OSD on the ground. Just getr' up in the air and you're good to go!

Navigator
    Good to know, thanks for the info! I had a 500mw 5.8G Immersion RC VTx before and it would get hot, but not this hot and not that fast. Just curious, thanks!

Navigator
    Yea, the Unify Pro gets toasty warm in a hurry even on low power...

Navigator
    Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one having this issue. I put the VTx in a spot with decent airflow, so hopefully it survives.

Navigator
    I want to put the unify pro in enclosed pod (minimal air flow) thanks to it's small footprint. 25mw/200mw only, think it is possible for short flights <3min? Cheers

Navigator
    My original TBS Unify Pro 5.8 vtx came with clear heat shrink, but the most recent 2 came naked. Has TBS stopped wrapping this VTX due to heat or something? I currently have it in the back of my Blackout Mini H well protected (I think) so I'm not too concerned, but if its advisable to heat shrink these please let me know. Also where can I get some thin clear heat shrink? The stuff I have now is too thick. I tried it on my one vtx and i'm concerned it may hold too much heat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	71536

Quote Originally Posted by powis89 View Post
    I want to put the unify pro in enclosed pod (minimal air flow) thanks to it's small footprint. 25mw/200mw only, think it is possible for short flights <3min? Cheers
    not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyLemur276 View Post
    My original TBS Unify Pro 5.8 vtx came with clear heat shrink, but the most recent 2 came naked. Has TBS stopped wrapping this VTX due to heat or something? I currently have it in the back of my Blackout Mini H well protected (I think) so I'm not too concerned, but if its advisable to heat shrink these please let me know. Also where can I get some thin clear heat shrink? The stuff I have now is too thick. I tried it on my one vtx and i'm concerned it may hold too much heat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	71536
    you can request some heat shrink from us, I'm not sure how this could be forgotten! Must be an isolated incident, I got a batch like this when I was in Dubai and haven't heard of any other reports so perhaps you got one of those (it was an emergency batch)

Navigator
    Thanks Trappy, any indication on arrival of backordered 5G8 unify pro's?