Thread: April 1st (not a joke) Hurry, if you want batteries internationally or via air!

April 1st (not a joke) Hurry, if you want batteries internationally or via air!

We just received our last shipment of batteries before the new IATA regulations go into effect & it will either take longer or cost more to get these same batteries in the future.
    Several changes are going into effect on April 1st, 2016 regarding how Lithium Polymer batteries may be shipped via air. First, all international shipments of lithium batteries not in or with equipment (batteries by themselves) are prohibited as cargo on passenger aircraft. This means there are now over 100 countries to where we will not be able to ship batteries. Second, a 30% state of charge limit will be placed on batteries that will be traveling via air. We believe this is not only unsafe as the battery is not stable at 30% charge, but long periods at this charge dramatically increases the chance that a cell will go bad.

Email from RMRC

Navigator
    I get the logic about the 30% state of charge but really? Not good for the battery at all. How did they come to that conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    I get the logic about the 30% state of charge but really? Not good for the battery at all. How did they come to that conclusion?
    The qualifier is "long periods", I use 3.8 per cell as a storage charge.

30% of single cell at full charge .3 x 4.2 = 1.26 per cell, I think you can see that would be bad for the cell over the long term, meaning manufacturers will have to move batteries faster, or discharge them prior to shipping, then we would need to bump them up to storage levels.

It might also mean that re-sellers here in the US will pass the problem to the customer by ordering direct from factory (China) for your order, now you wait longer, that is if you can get it via air at all.

Sucks for people buying batteries from China, and for us because we will all pay more for batteries, but it DOES mean that US manufacturers will be able to sell more batteries since they can ship Ground or Parcel Air where the regs don't apply, thus they won't have to raise their prices for North American region sales.
    FPV - The World is My Airfield

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
    Sucks for people buying batteries from China, and for us because we will all pay more for batteries, but it DOES mean that US manufacturers will be able to sell more batteries since they can ship Ground or Parcel Air where the regs don't apply, thus they won't have to raise their prices for North American region sales.
    Are there any domestic lipo manufacturers?

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    Are there any domestic lipo manufacturers?
    Not sure about full manufacturing, but there are many that are assembled in the USA. E-Flite, Thunder Power, Hyperion and SPC Racing are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Possibly the ReadyMadeRC in house brand? Not sure about that one.

Most of these guys have the raw cells made in Chinese factories and then assemble and charge them here in the States, where they can be shipped overland instead of flown. Remember too that when the raw cells are shipped over from China, very often they are literally brought over on a cargo ship, where the Air cargo regs simply don't apply.

All these regs are going to affect is the cross-border retail shipping of batteries and the "overnight" availability of batteries from distant sources. Still sucks, and like most regs they are ill-conceived and stupid, but we can work around them.
    FPV - The World is My Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by CongoSavanne View Post
    30% of single cell at full charge .3 x 4.2 = 1.26 per cell, I think you can see that would be bad for the cell over the long term, meaning manufacturers will have to move batteries faster, or discharge them prior to shipping, then we would need to bump them up to storage levels.
    Not exactly 4.2(full)-3.0(dead)= 1.2*.3=.36+3=3.36 per cell

Navigator
    The point about bare cells coming over on a boat is what I was missing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
    Not exactly 4.2(full)-3.0(dead)= 1.2*.3=.36+3=3.36 per cell
    It's easier to deal with one cell, the standard long term storage charge = 3.8 so at your figure 3.36 it is still well below the recommended level.
    I chose to use 4.2 as that gives the highest 30% level which is still too low, illustrative not necessarily "accurate".

After receiving a battery I immediately use my charger's cycle charge-discharge-charge, balance, test the battery's cells and then discharge to 3.8.
    Which I do after getting so many questionable cells from HK, and I no longer buy batteries from HK.

I've been trying a source called "Hobby People" for batteries as they are sold in a local shop, so far so good and the price is right.

@Wearyman do you know if those bare cells come with a charge?