Thread: FPV video cuts off when gunning the throttle on 4S lipo batteries

Forum Member

Talking FPV video cuts off when gunning the throttle on 4S lipo batteries

Recently, I have issues where the fpv video cuts off during flight when gunning the throttle on 4S using lipo batteries rated at 60C and higher. WOT no longer than 5 second burst. My Vtx is soldered directly to the PDB with no 12 volt regulator. The fpv camera hooked to the Vtx has an output of 5v to the fpv camera. I have no problems running my fpv system on 3S. I was thinking that I may need a dedicated PDB with regulated 12v to VTx and FPV camera to solve this issue. I bought a Redrotor all-in-one PDB with regulated 5v and 12 v outputs pins for the fpv camera and vtx. It also has a built -in OSD and filter. I will attempt to use a multi-meter to check drops in voltage from the camera and vtx.

I was wondering if anybody else on this forum has been experiencing this problem.

Here is my current set-up:
    Lumenier 4S lipo batteries rated at 60c 1300 mah
    RMRC 200 mw VTx
    Lumenier 650 TVL FPV camera 5 – 20v 1/3 Sony Super HAD II CCD
    Lumenier 4Power Mini PDB
    Cobra motor 2204 2300 KV motors
    Lumenier 30 amp esc’s with one shot bl heli
    DAL 5x4.5 Triblades
    Naze 32 Rev 6
    Betaflight 2.5 airmode on, one shot enable on

Any help is much appreciated.
    NH2LB

If you securely mount the multirotor, position the multimeter to read the vtx leads, then gun the throttle what happens?
    Locals Only Brah.

Forum Member
    Yea I think u need a regulator maybe even a cap . And it could be a loose connection somewhere due to the g force under full throttle. And a 60c battery under full throttle on that setup depending on your props might sag a bit in voltage
    TBS Vendetta --210 Charpu edition withpowercube/core pro/unify pro -- Tbs Triumph Tx -- IB Crazy Mad Mushroom Rx
    Taranis Plus & XSR receiver -- Tattu 4s battery -- HeadPlay HD :rolleyes:

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadski View Post
    Yea I think u need a regulator maybe even a cap . And it could be a loose connection somewhere due to the g force under full throttle. And a 60c battery under full throttle on that setup depending on your props might sag a bit in voltage
    I had a chance to change out my Lumenier 4Power Mini PDB to the Redrotor all-in-one PDB with a regulated 12v video output pins to fpv camera and to VTx. I only had a chance to have 2 trial flights with this set-up yesterday which did not reproduce the problem of blackening out my fpv video during flight while gunning the throttle on a 4S lipo battery. The DAL 5045 Triblades under full throttle using Cobra motors can easily draw 25 to 30 amps which may account for the drop in voltage to the fpv camera and or vtx. I will also test this set-up with HQ 5x4.5 2 bladed props as well. I will update this post once I am able to sort out this problem but so far everything is running fine with the new set-up.

I appreciate your recommendation.

If you securely mount the multirotor, position the multimeter to read the vtx leads, then gun the throttle what happens?
    I decided to take the safer route by just changing out the PDB instead of placing a multimeter to test voltage drop on a secured multirotor with triblades. Taking the props off with the same set-up may not actual reproduce the effect without actually testing the motors under load with the DAL 5045 Triblades.
    NH2LB

Forum Member

FPV video cuts off when gunning the throttle on 4S lipo batteries

Nice one fpvguam, a black box would really help see how close to the limit you are pushing it those 4.5 pitch props are hard on the motor especially the tri blade
    TBS Vendetta --210 Charpu edition withpowercube/core pro/unify pro -- Tbs Triumph Tx -- IB Crazy Mad Mushroom Rx

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadski View Post
    Nice one fpvguam, a black box would really help see how close to the limit you are pushing it those 4.5 pitch props are hard on the motor especially the tri blade

I am racing a Lumenier QAV 220 R and an Impulse RC 5 inch Alien race quad with the same FPV set-up with similar PDB boards. Both have a tendency of blacking out the fpv video when I push the quad to its limits on 4s lipos with a high C rating and 5045 Triblades. I get that extra thrust with the Triblades at the expense of my on-board electronics. I am considering just sticking with the DAL or HQ 5x4.5 dual bladed props. I will try more testing with the new Redrotor PDB first before making that decision. The TBS blackbox sound like a good idea, but there is so little space to work with on a 220 – 230 size racing quad. Might be a good enough reason to get the TBS Vendetta!
    Last edited by fpvguam; 7th March 2016 at 10:33 PM.
    NH2LB

Forum Member

FPV video cuts off when gunning the throttle on 4S lipo batteries

Have you tried a 5x4 instead of the 5x4.5 blade ? Those 5x4.5 are the most powerful tri blades you can get. try going down to just 5x4x3 and see if your vtx is still dropping out .
    Last edited by Quadski; 7th March 2016 at 10:31 PM.

Forum Member
    I might give those 5x4x3 Triblades a try. I really like to stick with the Triblades. Thanks!
    NH2LB

Forum Member
    Here's an update on this thread. I had a chance to go through 10 4S 1300 mah flight batteries with a 60c rating after changing out my Lumenier 4Power Mini PDB for the Red Rotor RROSD Pro. My FPV video was clear and constant with no drop outs at all when testing my multirotor to its limits and gunning the throttle on my transmitter. The Red Rotor PDB has a dual stage filter and regulated 12 volt/5 volt power outputs for the FPV camera and a regulated 12 volt output for the Vtx which apparently solved my problem of video drop outs. All I can say is that I am very impressed with this all in one PDB with OSD. It can handle up to 6S with a constant 100 amp draw from motors. I was able to use my DAL 5045 Triblades on my Impulse RC Alien 5" Quad during the entire testing period.

To save you time and frustration like I went through, I would recommend to spend a little more money on a good PDB with built-in filter and regulated power outputs dedicated to the FPV camera and Vtx.
    Last edited by fpvguam; 11th March 2016 at 07:59 AM.
    NH2LB