Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: FPV racing and why itís stupid.

+1 for Chad!

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar
    There was a time when FPV was not a thing, it wasn't a hobby, culture or industry. It was barely a forum section in a giant RC airplane forum. Then there was a big Drone Race and all the people wanted to know more. The event turned the tide of drone news stories in the USA from negative to positive. There was once a motivation for FPV pirates to go mainstream, for a day.

In a time before FPV or drone regulations I was being shadowed by the FCC, AMA and FAA, who took notes on what we were capable of and how we operated. I was responsible for the safety and integrity of the 1st drone racing flying field, I or James Curtis gave the go or no-go for every single drone that took off that day at the California Exposition Center in Sacramento. He along with a few others, developed the 1st freestyle scoring method which resulted in a timeless show (go watch Steel's freestyle flight from 2015 Nationals). The entire time I was stressing that we make it difficult and reflect the true capabilities of FPV and not some dancing monkey drone show for sponsors.

I secured the use of a local practice field, I worked with the event organizers and venue. I spent countless days helping put it together along with a small list of selfless people. We even pulled an all-nighter to build the finishing gate. I showed up before everyone every day, and left only after the after-party ran out of beer, working 12+ hours a day for a week, without pay.
    I left a pirate flag on the field, and fought with the organizers to keep it there among the many sponsors of the event as a sign of where we came from. When there was a dispute, I handled it, when Chris Thomas the founder of MultiGP started drama, I had to handle it. When a quad flew off into the stands out of control I had to talk to the noob. Same noob jeopardized the entire event by flying the horse track the day before. I was the one who secured the drug paraphernalia left on the flying field, and I covered for everyone.

I was there at the venue flying FPV and testing the RF months before with my crew the Flight Club after the bay area guys had trouble even flying the spot and crashed into the water-park. Developing the position of the flight line and pits and coming up with RF solutions that fit with the sponsors wishes and dealt with the problem of trying to fly FPV in a metal box. I was the one who gave a list of names to the organizer, people to bring to the event to give it legitimacy in the eyes of the hobbyists. Drone racers didn't exist yet, Charpu had released his epic freestyle videos just that year and only a few legit races had taken place before this time.

I ran the field that day, coordinating a team of NASA interns for retrieving quads and positioning safety marshals and rotating the resources through the roles. When the local guard unit helicopter flew in to check out the drone races from a few hundred feet, I'm the one who called a halt to all the flying while the FAA looked on to see if we were safe and knew what we were doing.
    There simply was never anything like it before, we were the 1st, and no matter how I was treated afterwards, I enjoyed being at ground zero in creating something new and I'm proud of my part in it and shoving it over those initial hurdles. People cried because of my decisions that day, and I still call it a success.

Say what you will about me, I'm a hypocrite for being so hell bent against drone racing after having a hand in inventing it. But that's because I know it's just an empty invention. It is a concoction we came up with to put drones in the news without it being a negative story, there was a major motivation for all that work. I never worked for drone racing, I used it for a greater good, to help FPV become legit and help the hobby overcome its negative stigma.

Many racers don't know the world before drone racing, but it was rough out there trying to fly FPV, I had more than a few interactions by a crazed public while simply trying to enjoy my hobby, now that doesn't happen. Drone racing has done its job, it's served its purpose and now that we have the world's attention, let's correct the message. In the words of Loppy "We do this for the ride, because it's so bitchin". The purity and innocence of a child's passion for flight transcends your shallow events and racing competitions. Pay attention to who flies FPV for the right reasons, and who is asking for money.

I went out on a limb, and did an interview for a small local Sacramento newspaper in 2015. I was physical assaulted by local RC pilots, twice, and spent a night in jail because of it. They thought I was busting out their pirate flying field or taking the spotlight and selling out the hobby. Let's take a walk back down memory lane shall we...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/18/...ertain-future/

Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Shall we break out a crying rag for you?

Or do you just want to get high and bitch?

In other words what is the point of your post about a failed sport?
    Everybody loves a bunny.

I watched the video in the engadget article and the similarity between esports and dronce racing never came to my mind before but it's actually really obvious. Now people get racing contracts after they learnt to fly on a sim.
    And probably this will get more common because flying as hobby will get harder and harder with the planned regulations.
    Nearly all governments are working on more regulations regarding drones and air space in general.
    Big companies support this because they will be the one who can afford the licences and technogy to operate drones (and make money).
    And if the drone racing leagues continue to get the high sponsor deals they will also have no problems to continue operation under new regulations.

But that does not help the hobby. I agree that to some extent the drone racing events helped to mitigate the "bad drones" image but if I tell people that I fly fpv the first reaction is still "so you spy on people?"

Co-Pilot
    Hell yeah... spying is where it's at. Do you mean you can use these drones for other purposes too? Like what... knocking down airliners?

Yep... for those who haven't seen it, watch the house committee discussion on "counter-UAS measures" and see how the hobby is being thrown under the bus in order that the DoD, FAA, AIA, CTA and CDA can all have their way.

The FAA *really* wants to get Sec 336 repealed so that it can do whatever the hell it wants to regulate hobbyists and their claims that they're pro-hobby and would never use the power they request to harm the hobby is BS. No authority ever seeks a power that it will never use, history has proven that.

And, since this discussion involved the future of the hobby, where was the AMA? Where was *any* representation for hobbyists?

There is huge bias and prejudice going on here. When one senator actually started speaking up for the hobby and asking what hobbyists had done to deserve harsh regulation he got shut-down by the chair of the committee. WTF?

I'm going to do a rant on this.. with selected excerpts from the discussion but boy, it was an eye-opener and shows that everyone wants 0-400ft and they don't want us in that airspace at all.

So why is the hobby sitting around on its thumbs and doing nothing to be heard?

I think of FPV as a stage or a space where emptiness and the air itself lives like a blank canvas waiting for your innovation and creativity. It’s overflowing with nothing but potential possibilities that no one should ever try to define. Within this stage we are free to create, experiment, preform and experience something no other stage allows, flight itself.

Even before Icarus and his failure to choose the proper glue for his fixed wing, humans looked to the sky longing to fly. Early man watched as they slowly walked a long, the birds traveling far and wide above them. Humans were obviously wise to their own disadvantages. It’s understandable, the dream of flying (not figuratively but literally). We wake in the middle of the night having dreamt of what it may be like to fly or fall. We are drawn to the sensation of flight, it’s who we are and where we come from. We imagine what it’s like to be free from the bonds of the earth, and look down upon our prison with a freedom only birds take for granted. Everyone has this dream.

FPV exists because of the drive to seek these sensations and experiences. Technology has grown mature enough to allow us to easily and cheaply reach these goals even while safely on the ground. The FPV aircraft is an extension of the human body, a remotely controlled robot of sensors all designed to provide the sensation or immersion of flight. The heavier-than-air aircraft we use, all struggle to stay in the air for short amounts of time. They require power and constant control inputs to fly. We insert the human mind into the feedback loop of its control system, and the aircraft becomes an extension of self. We must immerse ourselves in the act of flight to keep our aircraft in flight. Once there and successful at it the sky is, quite literally, the limit. This is what FPV is, it is human flight in its purest and most accessible form and it’s driven by a passion to reach that place, if even for a moment. Many call it flow, but flow state is a requirement of FPV flight, something greater.

There is room for everyone on this stage and no rules or restrictions as to how you personally use it. There exists a community of people who live there, or visit often and they have formed a culture through proximity to each other. Those who succeed at FPV speak a language, for they have looked down, they have felt flight and danced in the wind. This stage is under constant threat, from inside and out. Beware of those who wish to take from it and those who add to it. Listen for anyone wishing to define it as something it’s not or wishing to tell you how to do it. Guard against distractions which aim to steer you away from that primal goal and do not stop to smell the drama for very long. Remember why FPV exists, help preserve its empty space, and then help the noobs understand why.

What is FPV? I cannot answer that for you, I can answer it for myself. FPV is the one of the greatest discoveries of our lifetime, it combines technology with one of our deepest drives. It has produced a renaissance of thought and a drone revolution which will change the way humans live in the future. BUT, do not forget to protect where it came from, the empty space. Recreational FPV is the heart and soul of FPV and it always has been. Feed it, give back to it so we can watch the next generation create beyond the impossible, they will need a stage.

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Hell yeah... spying is where it's at. Do you mean you can use these drones for other purposes too? Like what... knocking down airliners?
    It has already happened.

[bquote]And, since this discussion involved the future of the hobby, where was the AMA? Where was *any* representation for hobbyists?[/bquote]

As an organization they are just too small to make a difference, they like the ARRL are spinning into a self imposed oblivion.

[bquote]So why is the hobby sitting around on its thumbs and doing nothing to be heard?[/QUOTE]

Because they are too fractured, too lazy and with no funding, lack any form of voice in D.C..

How many times has someone posted "we need to form and organization and fight back," only to expect someone else to do it, with no backing from the OP anyone else.

As such the regulatory bus will run them right over and they will not even understand what hit them.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

You should check out this then, many have tried, but it's people like you, the FPV pilots who don't show up!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2151405051803658/

Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    You should check out this then, many have tried, but it's people like you, the FPV pilots who don't show up!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2151405051803658/
    If anyone is trying to build a FPV Lobby through facebook they are assholes.

And by the way, it is not like me, who is a member of the AUVSI who is the problem, it's people like you who think there is possibility to influence what's happens in D.C., with a facebook account.

Look in the mirror, and there you will see the root cause of why FPV is dying and stupid.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

ummm, wow dude...you are a bitter asshole eh?

I never said I was starting an organization via FB, I pointed you to info about a group trying to form, they have a github, substance and are trying to form a real non-profit to help. It's naysayers and assholes like you who defeat anything before it even begins with your shitty attitude, that's not helping if you want to call out such things...at least I still believe in it...if you don't GTFO... AUVSI is and has been a giant problem standing in the way of the hobby and lobbying for bullshit while wasting away the dollars afforded...thanks for being honest about the lobbysts you support, they are loaded with false promises, failed projections and leeches like any corrupt union...I would much rather join a grassroots non-profit fighting for the rights of hobbyists over the AUVSI...what a shit show..not to mention they are only interested in the commercial operations which feeds their pockets...they have nothing to do with the hobbyist except for being an enemy of them...

FPV isn't dying and it's not stupid either, but if you think so, why the **** are you here?
    Last edited by squishy; 30th July 2018 at 12:27 PM.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast