Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS Zephyr II Battery Tray - New Product

TBS Zephyr II Battery Tray - New Product

Well yesterday the battery tray arrived! I wasted no time getting it together.

I test fit it into the Zephyr this morning and it IMMEDIATELY stiffened up the area around my battery tray..

If you recall I cartwheeled my Zephyr avoiding some dogs, and my Maiden put a squish on the Zeph as well - so she's felt loose.
    Not any more.

This is the cat's meow for the Zephyr guys -

Edit: Had to dremmel some extra gorilla glue out from the previous repairs - I love my Dremmel...

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

looking sweet Scott, just so the others aren't confused, this is a beta soon to be released. maybe 1 week to go. we're just cutting up a few and sending it to distributors also so we don't run out of stock right away. the battery bay is there to make your ZII durable. on our tests we dived in vertical from 30 meters on purpose. the forces get spread evenly and the 6mm plywood takes most of the beating, protecting the battery and the ZII. Use lots of gorilla glue when glueing it in, the glue will enter through all these tiny holes in the ZII Bay and make it really strong. Let the glue set and then just pluck it out with your fingers.

@Scotttu: make sure you cut open a few slots left and right of the rear bay to dig your electronics in. that will give you plenty of weight out the back so you can trim her in nicely up front. I see a EzOSD, current sensor and CCBEC there. these go to the left and right of the rear bay. The ESC stays in the ESC bay. That way you have a nice, RF friendly layout with all your expensive components (OSD, ESC) protected and out of harms way.
    Last edited by Trappy; 29th March 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Trappy - I definitely used a lot of gorilla glue putting her in, waiting for it to foam out right now...

Will do on the electronics, I have to now. LOL I don't have that cool heat rod that you have but I will find a way to bury as many electronics as I can, including the PSU - which i may de-solder so I can shorten the VTX cable.

I still have to run cables over top of the batteries though, is there a better solution?
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

if you still can, you need to cut a channel below the ZII bay that's how you run the batteries. otherwise run them behind or infront of the bay, there's plenty of space there.

What happened to the 'batteries in the wing' philosophy?

basically, for us, that went out the door when CK put the battery bay in the center ... batteries in the wing is still better, but then you have a huge hole in the center of the plane that you can't fill. if you put the batteries into the wing then even more you need the ZII bay to stiffen things up. but I'd recommend to put the batteries in the center, this is how CK designed the plane ...

Co-Pilot
    Damn shame this never came a bit earlier. My latest Z2 I lined the bay with ply and gorilla glue and it increases the strength massively. This battery box from TBS is sure to be a real winner.
    Last edited by londonguy; 29th March 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Hi scotttu,

There is a slot on the ZII bay for your T-connector. you need to put it in there (not glue) and then when you insert the batteries or remove it just pop it out of the slot. You can get the current sensor 100% inside, it won't get hot or suffer from it.

Your servo cable can be routed through the ESC bay. The CC-Bec can go right next to the current sensor (also 100% away to the side). The PSU needs to be cut into the foam so it sits vertical, you can do that by shortening the pink cable and routing that also into the rear bay. Somewhere along where you route it just cut a deep slot and slide the PSU in there. Cover with tape and you're good to go. The OSD is at the wrong spot, it should be in the ESC bay to the rear right (when looking at your picture). this will allow you to shorten all your cables and run them in the best way possible.

Hope this helps. ZII build video coming soon.

Thanks Trappy - almost there then.

But if i move my OSD I'm going to have a big empty hole in my wing...I need liquid foam to fill that LOL it would be nice putting the OSD back there though....
    Then the re's the whole routing of the RSSI cable...

I'll take a break for lunch and think it over..I think I will have to leave the OSD, and I too was thinking about putting the PSU down vertical.

PS - its PURPLE...not Pink LOL Not that I have anything against pink...LOL

KF7TRX

if you can find some foam to cover the hole that would be best. the layout like this creates a few wiring problems