Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drones Under 2kg May Be Set Free Under Forthcoming FAA Rules

Quote Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
    Ok I am lost. This is a Notice of Proposed Rule Making. So doesn't that mean that there will be a 60 day public comment period? Isn't this the way the FAA conducts all of it's rule making? Notify in the Federal Register of the proposed rules and then take public comments and revise as needed? Yes corporations might have had a hand in drafting the rules, but the rule making process is still subject to public review.
    Ok, when I look at things I have found it useful to take the other position, and sometimes argue from that position because then your eyes really open.

In this case let me play both government and corporations.
    Corp: We want the space between 100' and 400' for our gear, we also do not want to worry about a hobbyist getting in the way.
    Government: We need to consider corporate needs and commerce, because these people provide jobs. We also do not want Hollywood stars annoyed by aerial paparazzi, politicians or .

Now these 2 above take a look at hobbyist and they appear to be an irritant, most certainly since multirotors have become so popular.
    How much do you think the aerial hobby business is worth?

How much does Amazon make?

So that said just how much attention do you think they pay to "public" comments when the Amazon lobbyist's hand is in their pocket?

Forgive my cynicism, the only answer I see to the World's problems is "fewer people".
    Locals Only Brah.

I fail to see why this isn't totally awesome. Am I missing something?
    I think I may have read that wrong, I thought you were being sarcastic, did you really think this is awesome?
    Locals Only Brah.

Quote Originally Posted by 33db View Post
    I think I may have read that wrong, I thought you were being sarcastic, did you really think this is awesome?
    Yes. Like I said above I have a friend who currently has an exemption to fly commercially. Its a huge PITA to actually use. These rules would make it much much easier on him to conduct his operations.

Also in these rules the FAA takes a new stance on what VLOS means. One that more closely mirrors what people on this site believe.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the operator for the operator to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.
    On top of that the rules say explicitly that this won't have any impact on hobbyists.

Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in section 336 of Public Law 112-95.
    Whats not to like about this?
    I aim to misbehave.
    I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar.

Whats not to like about this?
    That was my initial impression too, but I'm leery of things that appear to be good coming from a government agency (we're from the government were here to help, now line up against the wall and put your blindfolds on)
    Locals Only Brah.

Pilot
    I've been saying they should use 3 or 4 lbs as a natural limit for hobby (unregistered) use since commercial air traffic must withstand impact from a 4 lb object and remain airworthy. This is the only real threat to human life. Yes you can have bizarre incidents occur but you can literally say that about any human activity. Do we make rules for every possible threat to human life? That is not realistic or even possible.

Basically, you can replace “national security” with “protectionism” in any speech given by an acronym or president.
    Locals Only Brah.

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by 33db View Post
    Basically, you can replace “national security” with “protectionism” in any speech given by an acronym or president.

The two most dangerous words in the English language are
    1. Fairness
    2. Safety

Navigator
    Why is the FAA changing their stance? Are they realizing that they've overstepped their authority and that they're about to lose all control over model aircraft?

Are you doing it commercially? If you're doing commercial aerial photography then yes. But as it currently stands you need a COA and special exemption for that. This NPRM simplifies and stream lines the process. I have a buddy who has one of these current exemptions and it's a huge PITA for him. He has to get approval before each flight and can only fly at the designated location at the designated time. If that has to change because of say inclement weather he has to get a new approval for the flight. This NPRM would allow him to fly within the rules provided without all of the extra hoop jumping needed.

And if you are just a hobbyist like me this NPRM won't have any bearing on you.

Like I said before. This looks amazing to me. Doesn't affect hobbyists and gives the commercial operators a much better way forward.
    As it stands now, didn't the FAA issue a blanket COA for operations that fit a specific criteria, away from airports, <200', day time only???
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

This?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
    As it stands now, didn't the FAA issue a blanket COA for operations that fit a specific criteria, away from airports, <200', day time only???
    The Federal Aviation Administration has established an interim policy to speed up airspace authorizations for certain commercial unmanned aircraft (UAS) operators who obtain Section 333 exemptions. The new policy helps bridge the gap between the past process, which evaluated every UAS operation individually, and future operations after we publish a final version of the proposed small UAS rule. Under the new policy, the FAA will grant a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) for flights at or below 200 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft that weigh less than 55 pounds, operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, operate within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the pilots, and stay certain distances away from airports or heliports:

• 5 nautical miles (NM) from an airport having an operational control tower; or
    • 3 NM from an airport with a published instrument flight procedure, but not an operational tower; or
    • 2 NM from an airport without a published instrument flight procedure or an operational tower; or
    • 2 NM from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure

The “blanket” 200-foot COA allows flights anywhere in the country except restricted airspace and other areas, such as major cities, where the FAA prohibits UAS operations. Previously, an operator had to apply for and receive a COA for a particular block of airspace, a process that can take 60 days. The agency expects the new policy will allow companies and individuals who want to use UAS within these limitations to start flying much more quickly than before.
    Section 333 exemption holders will automatically receive a “blanket” 200 foot COA. For new exemption holders, the FAA will issue a COA at the time the exemption is approved. Anyone who wants to fly outside the blanket parameters must obtain a separate COA specific to the airspace required for that operation.
    https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245
    Locals Only Brah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast