FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Slow Stick FPV Rig

Forum Member

New Slow Stick FPV Rig

Hey guys, nothing too spectacular here. This is my first FPV plane build. I wanted to try something other than a ground pounder or a multi-rotor this time around.

It's just a GWS Slow Stick with a steerable tail wheel, ailerons, X-Gear front landing gear, and Maxx wheels.

FPV equipment is an IRC 600mW 5.8 VTX, Spironet, FatShark pan, tilt, roll and a 600TVL CMOS cam.

I'm just anxiously awaiting some nice weather for a maiden flight.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Your thoughts, or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Grimm Reaper Racing; 15th April 2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Fix photo link
    The FAA... "We're not happy till your not happy." Since 1958 =P

TBS Disco Pro/ Futaba T8FG Super/ EzUHF / Tiger Motors / Castle Creations ESCs/
    IRC 5.8 600mw VTX/ GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition/ Effio-V 800TVL Ultra WDR Flight Cam

Forum Member
    Looks good.
    I have a friend who had quite the slow stick fpv collection.
    He built many versions but my favorites were the Canard, 1,000mm stick version and twin stacked stick version.
    Radicall RC carries all the laser cut parts and kits to transform them.

He flew using 5.8 also (but UHF) and I think our longest flight was 6,600 feet at around 499' altitude
    I glided the ENTIRE way home, proper landing pattern, taxi and parked at my feet without ever giving it power.

Slow Sticks are great fun and great fpv planes. They can carry a ton of weight all things considered and still put along at a snails pace if needed.
    TwinStar Brotherhood
    MyFlyDream Twin

Forum Member
    Good ol' slow stick - try the Hobbyking version, a much better SS.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the input guys!

I took my entire lunch hour to figure out the Trinity head tracker and my Futaba T8FG. I have to say, the Fatshark "Pan/Tilt/Roll" is pretty sweet.

Now, if only the weather man would get his act together.

I thought that I would also mention, I really didn't take too much of the dihedral out, but I did try to make my ailerons account for it by making them less linear. I'm excited to see it fly.

IRC 5.8 600mw VTX/ GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition/ Effio-V 800TVL Ultra WDR Flight Cam

Forum Member
    I installed a new Hyperion HP-ZS2218-14 motor on the Slow Stick. It's not Slow anymore. Right around 3/4 throttle it'll hover. Replaced the GWS prop with an APC, and that made a big difference as well.

I'm really enjoying this FPV experience with the 3 axis head tracker. All it needs now is 3D and HD. Maybe some day...

Forum Member
    Good to hear about the head tracker, I'm working on same type of rig (yellow SS with ailerons). Been on the shelf for a while (winter), your post and weather has got me motivated again.
    Seen THIS THREAD and had have one. Oh yah, nice work bench.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiteSS.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	61361  
    "I know nothing–NOTHING!

Forum Member
    I've flown SS FPV for years. I've built and modified three of them over the years. They are still my favorite low-and-slow gentle, close range FPV birds for dead calm days. It's almost dream-like, flying no more than twenty feet above the ground (or above the tree tops!) at about 8mph, just lazily drifting along...soo fun!

I've never had a pan/tilt with headtracker set up on one, though. That seems like it could REALLY add to that dream-like experience! I'll have to look into it! Got any SS FPV videos showcasing the pan/tilt/roll with headtracker for us?
    [FONT=Segoe UI]Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":[/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI][/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI]"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

[/FONT]

Forum Member
    I'll try to get some video posted this week. It would seem that every single time I go and fly I forget to put the micro SD card in the Dom HD's.

As for the headtracker adding to the experience, it most certainly does. I am really enjoying this rig. The only problem I have is, as soon as I finish one project, (before I really get a chance to use it) it would seem as though I feel the need to start another. I hate when my Adult ADHD kicks in.

Sgt. Schultz - I like the ultralight conversion with the realistic looking pilot. (Very cool) Slow Stick off the rail and in the side pocket.

Forum Member
    Project Update:

The SS is now the Apprentice Stick.

Maiden flight will likely be tonight before sundown. Winds are supposed to calm down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160429_015853.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	72309

I will also try to get some in flight footage with the Fatshark Pan/Tilt/Roll.

Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing the apprentice "stick" in action! Heh
    [FONT=Segoe UI]Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":[/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI][/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI]"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

[/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast