www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concern re: UHF JR-module and Frsky Taranis Plus interference? Real or not?

Concern re: UHF JR-module and Frsky Taranis Plus interference? Real or not?

I just ordered 2 of your JR modules for use with Frsky Taranis Plus systems from one of your retailers, they are about to ship.

A friend just cautioned me that Taranis can have an issue where it acts as if the menu buttons are being pressed randomly, whether the JR module is in low or high power.

Since my time to change/cancel my order is short, I thought I would ask if there is any truth in this, or a solution, or... I am about to start searching the forums for clues as well.

Thank you, I really want to use your JR module in my Taranis.
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Navigator
    I have never saw this issue, but I do have a copper foil liner in my module bay (done for a diy module I used that put static in my speaker)

But my EZUHF module works great in my Taranis, to the point I have it in most of my frequently flown models even helis

Thanks. Google searches found lots of reports of the "speaker buzz", as well as having the menu buttons doing odd things. In general it sounds like it can be tolerated, no failures/crashes caused by it. Solutions seem to be grounding the Diamond antenna's connector to the Taranis handle, or adding some shielding as you did to the JR slot and/or antenna base, etc.

Lots of discussion regarding whether the issue lies (or, responsibility for the fix) in the Immersion JR module, vs. the Taranis and its' (lack of) shielding. The issue has also been seen in Futaba and ... other brands... of radios as well.

I think there were reports of this with the standard unit as well, moving it further away from the Taranis solves it. People reported it on high and low power settings as well.

Sounds like a real "your-mileage may vary" issue, and more or an annoyance than a risk, so proceeding ahead with my purchase and we'll see.

By posting this here in the Immersion thread I hope an Immersion Rep. may chime-in re: any testing or future plans, be good to hear from a real authority?
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Navigator
    Good luck

Module arriving tomorrow, so I'll see if I have the issues some have reported, and if so, if foil lining or grounding options have impact. More to follow. Fingers crossed.
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Got it, flashed FW to latest, seems to be working well. I've got about 45 minutes "uptime", and no glitches/issues seen on my Taranis Plus. briefly tried high power for a few minutes as well a few times.

As I go forward I will report back if I see issues, but so far, so good.
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Just to "close off" this thread, for anyone else reading it: On low/high power on my Taranis Plus there is a little background static noise on the speaker, but it doesn't annoy me. My 50+ year old ears had not noticed it until a younger friend pointed it out.

Issues reported by others of the Taranis acting like it was having buttons-pushed, no issues seen, low or high power.

Ground range tested (2 cars, driving across a shallow valley) at up to 2.25 miles, UHF link nice and solid, at low power. Plenty for me.

So far, I am happy.
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Navigator
    Well im happy the immersion people have stepped in and offered assistance once again kross 1,as per usual none.......
    I completely fixed mine got rid of it, and have now been using crossfire havnt had one bit of touble and the range far excedes immersion.i wish you luck i really do like the the support we get, it is outstanding here at immersion(sorry joking).
    Last edited by marcus621000; 1st March 2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Cant spell

Navigator
    Hi kross1,

happy to hear it works well for you. I did experience the speaker buzz on the taranis, that's the lack of shielding of the speaker on the taranis, but has not impacted the working of the taranis. Concerning random button presses, I didn't have this type of issues related to the JR module. But on taranis' that get old, the buttons start to wear of and don't bounce back and continue being registered as pushed. I had to open the taranis up, clean the buttons and fiddle a bit with the mechanics to get it to work again.

I found the buzzing speaker issue had to do with the internal transmitter, interfering with the external module. Every time you set up a new model the internal transmitter is on by default. Once I turned it off, no buzzing.
    Only those who risk going to far, know how far they can go.