www.immersionrc.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my ez-uhf to give range somewhat like the tbs crossfire?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anixs View Post
    Mark97564: Similar results for me. (And it's not just EzUHF. I have TSLRS too). 2000-2500 meters is my failsafe range for quads. With the Crossfire, I am at the lowest power (10mw) 2000 meters out. To be honest, I'm not going back to UHF...
    Same here, spent a month f***ing with ezuhf and now don't ever worry about rc link with the Crossfire.

To be fair, it's not an EzUHF bash... Like I mentioned, there was plenty of fighting with TSLRS too. Just seems to be the nature of these 433mHz systems.

For example, I was using an O.S. brand ESC (w/bec) in one of my planes. All scans were perfect (IRC tools + RF Explorer) -- no increase in the UHF noise floor. Well guess what. My control range went down to ~200m! Took out the EzUHF, put in the TSLRS. Still 200m. Wtf? Swapped out to a Castle ESC and got an easy 10km of range. That ESC was doing something bad, that the scans couldn't reveal...

Just seems these UHF systems are more fussy?

Like fltundra said.. too much f***ing around.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anixs View Post
    To be fair, it's not an EzUHF bash... Like I mentioned, there was plenty of fighting with TSLRS too. Just seems to be the nature of these 433mHz systems.

For example, I was using an O.S. brand ESC (w/bec) in one of my planes. All scans were perfect (IRC tools + RF Explorer) -- no increase in the UHF noise floor. Well guess what. My control range went down to ~200m! Took out the EzUHF, put in the TSLRS. Still 200m. Wtf? Swapped out to a Castle ESC and got an easy 10km of range. That ESC was doing something bad, that the scans couldn't reveal...

Just seems these UHF systems are more fussy?

Like fltundra said.. too much f***ing around.
    I run the Castles on my quad also. A lot of my issues with 433, were due to multiple 400mhz transmitters in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by fltundra View Post
    I run the Castles on my quad also. A lot of my issues with 433, were due to multiple 400mhz transmitters in my area.
    Opposite for me.. I'm flying in the remote northern Canadian wilderness. You can't get a cell signal or anything. So when my UHF LRS craps out at 2km, it's definitely an onboard problem.

Explains why my Crossfire is getting me almost to 10km on 10mw. It's not picking up any interference from the aircraft, so it's reaping the benefits of the low noise floor area I'm flying in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark97564 View Post
    Yes, that's at my flying location... I've also tried a dipole on my tx and the moxon rectangle and my range actually got worse when I tried them. The diamond antenna definitely works best on my tx. Also I'm not using the receivers on a mini quad. I've got a ez-uhf diversity rx on my f450 with naza and its on a stand 20inches off the copter. I'm also using the ez-uhf 4ch rx on another F450 frame with vector as my flight controller and it's mounted on the tail of the lower frame board, and both copters get the exact same range. So diversity and a 20in stand aren't helping to much since the 4ch not on a stand and also doesn't have any torroids on it like the f450 with the diversity rx does. Also my ez-uhf tx is mounted to a tripod with a extension cable running from my futaba 14sg to its ppm input. I've also tried putting the tx in multiple positions. I would fly out til I lost signal and rssi and link quality were very low and then I tried putting the tx and antenna in various different positions while watching rssi and link quality hoping a certain position would improve its reception but no position helped... So 2 f450s running different Ez-uhf receivers with monopole and dipoles tried in different locations and angles are getting the exact same range. Dipoles on the rx and diamond antenna on the rx is definitely what has been working. Best for me.. I don't go above 120 meters for my maximum height so maybe at 3000 meters away there are just too many trees in the signals path. But if that was the case I don't get how the crossfire could more than double the range under the same circumstances with allot less power being output....,

man im puzzled....
    A dipole antenna on the tx has less range compared to a monopole? That sounds strange.
    Maybe you already tried this but here are some more suggestions to try:

During the spectrum scan do you have the "record peaks" enabled?
    Reflash rx+tx without "preserve config", rebind
    Then I'd try a "classic range test" with a simple test setup and an attenuator on the tx. Or maybe repeat the test documented here http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post256681 and compare it with your results.

I have flown 10 Kilometers and not a single fail safe

Quote Originally Posted by epic4me View Post
    I have flown 10 Kilometers and not a single fail safe
    With a multirotor? Excellent

When i got my ExUHF i was dissapointed with all the fail safes at short range and then one day a friend turned up with the IRC power meter and the problem was revealed in that the EzUHF Tx'er was not pushing out the required power, on HP is was supposed to do something like 500mW and mine was pushing out about 120mW which is nearer Low Power mode. Sent to IRC Repairs who adjusted it, my HP mode now pushes out above 500mW and my range has increased, failsafes, can't recall the last one i had......

Navigator
    doesnt help you sorry but my jrmodule and 8ch d rx have never played up on my quad, 3-4 kms out regularly and no failsafes on the short standard antenna, i have no shielding or rings just place vtx and gps as far from the rx antennas as possible. could you put you quad on the house roof or somewhere and go for a drive with the transmitter and see if you can flick switch modes etc to see if it works without motor or esc interference?

Navigator
    back a few years ago, with my ezuhf, I had bad range like you and then I tried a different BEC and all was good. A castle 10amp peak to be exact.