Page 112 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1609

Thread: Mini Drak

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    Fyi, the diamonds are supposed to be gooped in so they add strength to the opening and don't move. I imagine the printed fins way an absolute ton in comparison to the chloroplast but the plane does like to fly heavy

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

They are 24 grams heavier each fin for the large.

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    I have made laser cut ABS versions of these fins and they end up weighing way more than the corrugated plastic

3D printing isn't solid of course, so not a good comparison. Print with 2 or 3 layers top and bottom and 15% infill, total weight increase 24 grams each over coroplast. Very strong and much stiffer too.

Pilot
    @appelm

Nice job I just commented on your thingiverse page. If it breaks at the joint maybe I can alter the seam to make it easier to glue, align and also increase contact area. Perhaps you'd be better off with GOOP on the joint since it flexes and will handle impact better than CA

EDIT: ps If you have warping troubles use a covering iron set to high on the concave side of the warp. With a little trial and error you can get it perfect. Hint you have to go way past the deflection in the opposite direction so when it cools it ends up straight. If you go too far one way just flip it over and try again. Eventually it will get flat and stay flat.
    Last edited by billyd; 1st June 2017 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    @appelm

Nice job I just commented on your thingiverse page. If it breaks at the joint maybe I can alter the seam to make it easier to glue, align and also increase contact area. Perhaps you'd be better off with GOOP on the joint since it flexes and will handle impact better than CA

EDIT: ps If you have warping troubles use a covering iron set to high on the concave side of the warp. With a little trial and error you can get it perfect. Hint you have to go way past the deflection in the opposite direction so when it cools it ends up straight. If you go too far one way just flip it over and try again. Eventually it will get flat and stay flat.
    Thanks! I noticed today that you wrote the covering iron tip in your original thingiverse listing. I missed that. I will try it. I'll let you know how the CA holds up. I printed a few test fins first, glued them and applied a lot of pressure and it held. Landing and crashes are another story.

Regarding the weight difference, did you compare including the diamond spacers with the coroplast? I measured less of a difference. I will check the weight again when I get home.
    youtube.com/user/Appelm1
    NEFPV.com

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by appelm View Post
    Thanks! I noticed today that you wrote the covering iron tip in your original thingiverse listing. I missed that. I will try it. I'll let you know how the CA holds up. I printed a few test fins first, glued them and applied a lot of pressure and it held. Landing and crashes are another story.

Regarding the weight difference, did you compare including the diamond spacers with the coroplast? I measured less of a difference. I will check the weight again when I get home.
    I did compare it to the coroplast with the diamonds glued in place. Well lots of variables in the printing process, depending on the extrusion width you are laying down, size of infill and other print settings.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over 48 grams, not going to matter on the mini drak.

Instructor Pilot
    As far as laminate shrinking a lot of times we pre shrink the laminate so it's clear with the heat gun or the iron before we actually put it on the aircraft. Or if you tack it down you can always hold the laminate film up and run the iron on the film before you lay it down If you make it clear this takes all of the shrink out before you lay it on to the foam

My bird is almost finished:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20170531_222844.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	76990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20170531_222859.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	76991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20170531_222915.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	76992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20170531_223003.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	76993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20170531_223110.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	76994

Fly,crash,glue,repeat! Jake Bullit's Avatar
    Oh man,that's gonna be awesome Havard.
    Can't wait
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

I am psyched too There are a few items left. -Finishing the camera installs (almost done). -Final tinkering with Vector. Installing the retractable tow hook and tying the bungee to a line with ground spike and ring. I hope to do the maiden this Sunday. Depending on propeller choice the speed should be between 290 and 330kmh in level flight.

Beautiful build. I hope you get some 3rd person video of that thing flying, with sound!

How's the lateral balance with the 1.3 antenna embedded in the wing. I had to add a bit of dead weight to the other wing on mine to offset the gps and uhf antenna. Also am curious why your batteries are oriented with the connectors facing the front.
    youtube.com/user/Appelm1
    NEFPV.com