Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protection of electronics against dirt?

Forum Member

Protection of electronics against dirt?

I am building my first quadcopter (LKTR120) and I think about how I can protect all these small electronic parts against dirt and water. I guess without protection there will be soon grass, flies, and whatever between the parts and it will be difficult to remove this dirt. I guess protecting individual parts with heat shrink tube will help. And I read about Plasti Dip which looks promising. But obviously sealing all parts is fine until some maintenance is necessary and then it’s probably difficult to remove something like Plasti Dip, or not?

What do you do to make sure your electronics are not covered in dirt?

Forum Member
    Plastidip is pretty easy to remove, I use silicone conformal coating I got on eBay paints on with a little brush, dreams clear and you can solder on parts without removing. If you need to remove it, it comes off with rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush

Forum Member
    Poisonous and flammable!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkjug View Post
    Poisonous and flammable!
    Not flammable after it is dried. I don't drink it or lick my electronics. Do you have a suggestion of something that isn't poisonous or flammable that would be effective and lightweight?

Forum Member
    Create your own landing pad - just make sure it is large enough and sthrong enough to not get pulled into the rotors.

Forum Member
    Try not fly where it's wet, if you do get dirt in there you can use computer spray cleaner (compressed gas), if you do use protection make sure whatever you protect won't over heat.
    Mostly, don't crash.

I personally lick my electronics before every flight.

Now I'm not suggesting you do this, but he isn't the first person I've seen wash an RC motor, although the last guy didn't power his up.
    Last edited by CongoSavanne; 11th April 2016 at 09:20 AM.
    [I]“Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    [I]- [/I]Alejandro Jodorowsky

[/I]Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ede View Post
    What do you do to make sure your electronics are not covered in dirt?
    Conformal coating is the professional way to do it.

The two most common types of conformal coatings are acrylic and silicone, acrylic coatings tend to be lighter and thinner therefore it is easer to damage in a crash, silicone provides a slightly thicker coating and is of course heavier but is also tougher than acrylic.

Both coatings are re-enterable allowing for repairs and modifications as needed.

I prefer the lighter acrylic, it dries very quickly and if damaged a quick re-spray solves that.

http://www.mpja.com/Silicone-Conform...info/30366+MG/

http://www.mpja.com/Acrylic-Conforma...info/30365+MG/

Another method which is used in the marine industry is dipping the board in epoxy, which of course completely seals it up, but it also precludes doing any repairs, if a component goes bad you chuck the entire board as the epoxy is not re-enterable.

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 11th April 2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    Conformal coating is the professional way to do it.

The two most common types of conformal coatings are acrylic and silicone, acrylic coatings tend to be lighter and thinner therefore it is easer to damage in a crash, silicone provides a slightly thicker coating and is of course heavier but is also tougher than acrylic.

Both coatings are re-enterable allowing for repairs and modifications as needed.

I prefer the lighter acrylic, it dries very quickly and if damaged a quick re-spray solves that.

http://www.mpja.com/Silicone-Conform...info/30366+MG/

http://www.mpja.com/Acrylic-Conforma...info/30365+MG/

Another method which is used in the marine industry is dipping the board in epoxy, which of course completely seals it up, but it also precludes doing any repairs, if a component goes bad you chuck the entire board as the epoxy is not re-enterable.

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Wayne

Wayne
    How would you remove those coatings? No overheating issues? Miniquad (racers) electronics get warm fast if they are idle, which makes me wonder what would happen with a coating on them.
    [I]“Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    [I]- [/I]Alejandro Jodorowsky

[/I]Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CongoSavanne View Post
    How would you remove those coatings?
    There is a particular type of stripper for each type of conformal coating, with the proper gel stripper a person can strip and rework through a very small part of the overall coating, allowing for an easy touchup of the coating once complete. Also while the coatings hold up well to the temperatures normally found in devices such as switchers, it can be softened and moved out of the way at soldering temperatures.

It's not a cure-all for everything but in applications that require moisture and corrosion resistance, it a real good first step.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast