FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered my DRAK

Forum Member

Just ordered my DRAK

Well i was finally able to pull it off with the wife! Ill be using my first UHF setup on it and am looking for a video solution now. I do plan on long range flights with some density. So i think 1.2 is going to suite me better then 2.4. No when i say long range, for me thats going to be 5 miles. My question is if i go 2.4, will i suffer video quality if i decide to fly with friends running 2.4 radio?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRTSuperfly View Post
    Well i was finally able to pull it off with the wife! Ill be using my first UHF setup on it and am looking for a video solution now. I do plan on long range flights with some density. So i think 1.2 is going to suite me better then 2.4. No when i say long range, for me thats going to be 5 miles. My question is if i go 2.4, will i suffer video quality if i decide to fly with friends running 2.4 radio?
    Hi there! I am very jealous. It was out of stock at Team Legit by the time I made the commitment to buy this plane. Which vendor did you order yours from?

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by x86uav View Post
    Hi there! I am very jealous. It was out of stock at Team Legit by the time I made the commitment to buy this plane. Which vendor did you order yours from?

Thank you, I appreciate the help.
    The Drak? RMRC has 50 coming in, 10 are sold. Place your order and it should ship out when they get them in later this week.

Forum Member
    Also chris has the SS motors in stock but not on the site. 17a at Crouse on 5s! Just got one tonight. .

Forum Member
    May I pick your brain? It seems you placed separate orders for the airframe and for the powertrain, as if you were at first considering some other powertrain. Would you tell me what other motors were you considering using, and why did you ultimately settle on the Ritewing motor? I'm intrigued by the quality, but I would have hoped for a lower kV motor for 6S.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by x86uav View Post
    May I pick your brain? It seems you placed separate orders for the airframe and for the powertrain, as if you were at first considering some other powertrain. Would you tell me what other motors were you considering using, and why did you ultimately settle on the Ritewing motor? I'm intrigued by the quality, but I would have hoped for a lower kV motor for 6S.
    I did place two orders. Chris SS motor is for 5s not 6s. My intentions for the build is to make a SAR wing. I plan to put a 3axis gimbal for either a gopro or Flir cam facing down. so what i am looking for is flight times not top end. Chris SS motor on 5s will allow me to cruse at 7a and i had to buy it from him. The wing itself was in stock at RMRC so i purchased it from them...

Forum Member
    I too am looking for flight time and distance, as opposed to thrust and speed.

I am aware that the motor is wound for 5s use, I'm just not sure why. The birds I've worked on in this weight class usually use 6s packs, because it makes the best use of the FETs on the ESCs.

If there wasn't the options of a Chris-blessed motor, I would not have considered a 5s setup... long ramble short, I wish I knew what Chris was thinking placing a special order for motors, wound for 5s not 6s.

I have read the current 36 page Drak build thread (forwards, backwards, then forwards again), but I have barely made it through the 251 page (now locked) development thread.

Forum Member
    I have flown 10.6 miles on a Z2 limited by battery on 2.4 video. Pepper box on a TBS ground station, IRC 700mw VTX with a 3 lobe spiral. I have had no problems with 2.4 near others flying on 2.4. Video quality seems to be better on 2.4 as well. 1.3 does excel at penetration though, but antennas are kinda huge although that's not a problem for a Drak.

Forum Member
    JRTSuprFly I apologize for taking your thread further off topic, I kinda just want to think out loud. I've now read pages 151 to 186 on the dev thread, so it may take me a full week to read through the whole thread. I have gotten a sense of why Chris chose a motor wind suited for a 5s battery: i think he made a snap judgement call. Those of us who insist on using a different supply voltage are just going to have to live with the burden of choosing some other motor.

I like the look of that SS motor. The fit and finish is amazing. It is clearly built and tested to a high level of quality. And that prop adapter.... I emailed Chris about my fantasy of him having had ordered SS prototypes in different winds... for testing. No dice. There was a MOQ/MOC, he ordered one wind, and we should be grateful he placed that order in the first place.

My alternative plan is to use a Hacker A40 with the glider prop attachment, it comes in a kv=610 wind. The bell can be removed for field cleaning, it can be mounted ass backwards, magnets are well retained, bell comes prebalanced, a manufacturer who stands by their product and will be around forever. Most importantly, I can document the UAV build without the phrase "secret sauce" and avoid the ridicule that comes with it. Plettenberg's Orbit 15 is in the right weight/power class but isn't wound how I like.

Forum Member
    updated drak! Got my 1.2 and UHF in today. Green is just about done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast