Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS CROSSFIRE with 1.2GHz Video

I actually went with a notch filter on the EZuhf. I guess the point is we have had the same issues with 433 and ended up with a filter. Same will be available for the Xfire for 868MHz or 915 MHz depending on where you are. The fact that it is a relatively new control frequency is why there are not filters already on the market. However TBS already has begun the manufacture of a filter so it is just a matter of weeks. Seems much cheaper than buying another LRS.

Navigator
    Looking forward to it!!

We're using fatsharks with 5.8 modules so as posted it's a non issue. I used a screen when I very first started fpv and much prefer goggles now.

point being its not crossfire, it's the crap 1.2 vrx. This would be a golden opertunity for someone to come out with a non crappy 1.2 vrx, the fatshark one seems to work fine and has highest sensitivity out there. Irc could slap it in a box and sell a boat load of them. I sure as hell would buy one. 2-7db sensitivity is HUGE!
    Last edited by slappomatt; 3rd April 2016 at 05:26 PM.

Slappo,
    I have gone the other way. I always used goggles flying and still do, but for some reason I prefer the lcd with a ground pounder.

Navigator
    Same - I use goggles for quick flights, but long range trips with friends is better with a screen, nice to stand around the screen and discuss what we see, or walk away and chat with someone else while the plane is in cruise or auto modes.

I could see that for long hour plus straight flights. Just hauling a screen and stuff around is a hassle. But if your going really long it's all part of the game.

Crossfire and 1.2g , Useless

This weekend i tried 1.2g again, together with different linair yagi's on the channels 1080 - 1280 and 1360.
    I also tried the special Notch filter.
    The notch filter works very good on the bench testing, but it does not make any real difference in real world testing.

Vtx = lawmate 1w
    VRX 2 x = lawmate 1260rx with saw upgrade with diversity
    Antenna 1 = The different hand tuned yagi's
    Antenna 2 = Cpatch circular 8dbi patch
    On my ground station i see two different images from the two receivers+antenna's.
    I could see that the yagi antenna suffers more fom the crossfire then the cpatch.
    Also, i have done 31km before with half sphere helical antenna. This is a circular antenna.
    So my conclusion is, that linair has more problems with crossfire then circular.

The 31km flight was only possible when i hold the crossfire transmitter antenna horizontal, so that the donut hole reaches the vrx.
    And i used my body to block the crossfire signal. Plus 2-3 meters of seperation.
    It was not a confortable flight.

All in all, it works ok when crossfire is outputting 10 or 25mw. From 100mw and more its just unflyable. I also tried 8 meters of seperation, still no good.
    On my final flight, i went out 22km with yagi antenna on 1280mhz. The way out went ok.
    But then i turned around my image was gone for 10 minutes. I got back my image within 10km of myself.
    I tried at that point to turn off the crossfire and the pictue cleared up immediately.

So, at this moment crossfire is useless for 1.2 and 1.3 video. Even the lower frequencys suffer from the same interferrence.
    The crossfire itself is a good system, but TBS should really step up the game here.
    If i knew that this system would fail with 1.2g video i never buyed it.

Options:
    - New video receivers on 1.2g
    - A strong 2.4g receiver antenna
    - Buy dragonlink 433mhz uhf.

Third option still keeps on going in my head. I friend of mine recently did 50km on 500m alt with it. With stock dipole antenna's.

So, TBS, what 2.4 antenna can we use for 50-100km range low alt.
    The grid antenna 24dbi is too heavy to mount on a tracker.
    Yagi is fine, but it does not cover 50km.

I feel like you guys dont taking this problem seriously.

Navigator
    I agree on all points Killerbean - I would not have bought the TBS system if I knew about the 1.2 problems. I'm seriously considering dragonlink, mainly because there's been no official response in the last month from TBS. Let's hope they are taking the problem seriously.

Navigator
    Thanks for the report Killerbean. I fly 1.2ghz and was all set to pick up a CrossFire until the 1.2 troubles were reported a while back. I was waiting to see if it could be resolved as I can't spring for a LRS and a different video frequency. Still watching but looking elsewhere for other LRS systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbean View Post
    Crossfire and 1.2g , Useless

This weekend i tried 1.2g again, together with different linair yagi's on the channels 1080 - 1280 and 1360.
    I also tried the special Notch filter.
    The notch filter works very good on the bench testing, but it does not make any real difference in real world testing.

Vtx = lawmate 1w
    VRX 2 x = lawmate 1260rx with saw upgrade with diversity
    Antenna 1 = The different hand tuned yagi's
    Antenna 2 = Cpatch circular 8dbi patch
    On my ground station i see two different images from the two receivers+antenna's.
    I could see that the yagi antenna suffers more fom the crossfire then the cpatch.
    Also, i have done 31km before with half sphere helical antenna. This is a circular antenna.
    So my conclusion is, that linair has more problems with crossfire then circular.

The 31km flight was only possible when i hold the crossfire transmitter antenna horizontal, so that the donut hole reaches the vrx.
    And i used my body to block the crossfire signal. Plus 2-3 meters of seperation.
    It was not a confortable flight.

All in all, it works ok when crossfire is outputting 10 or 25mw. From 100mw and more its just unflyable. I also tried 8 meters of seperation, still no good.
    On my final flight, i went out 22km with yagi antenna on 1280mhz. The way out went ok.
    But then i turned around my image was gone for 10 minutes. I got back my image within 10km of myself.
    I tried at that point to turn off the crossfire and the pictue cleared up immediately.

So, at this moment crossfire is useless for 1.2 and 1.3 video. Even the lower frequencys suffer from the same interferrence.
    The crossfire itself is a good system, but TBS should really step up the game here.
    If i knew that this system would fail with 1.2g video i never buyed it.

Options:
    - New video receivers on 1.2g
    - A strong 2.4g receiver antenna
    - Buy dragonlink 433mhz uhf.

Third option still keeps on going in my head. I friend of mine recently did 50km on 500m alt with it. With stock dipole antenna's.

So, TBS, what 2.4 antenna can we use for 50-100km range low alt.
    The grid antenna 24dbi is too heavy to mount on a tracker.
    Yagi is fine, but it does not cover 50km.

I feel like you guys dont taking this problem seriously.
    Hey KB, what the hell.. 8 meters? Wonder why it's worked with others to use a relay and get some distance? You used an 8 meter video cable to your goggles?

Still planning to grab xfire in spring here, but it's having a few growth issues....