www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix: Vortex 285 current goes to about 55-60A after hard crash even at rest

How to fix: Vortex 285 current goes to about 55-60A after hard crash even at rest

The Xiaomi either didn't record or I forgot to start it during this flight. Here's the flight where I dropped out right on the pavement and upon impact the total current pull went from the usual 10-20A on easy flying to 60A at rest. Stays this way even upon power cycling.

It was able to reset after changing OSD settings and reverting back to this layout.

Last edited by Multipass; 15th January 2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Update... the problem came back in the flight after this. I had to save profile or make some change via the OSD 2-3 times and then it went back to the correct amp reading.

Ive got the same problem with mine. I can only asume the shunt or the power monitering components have been damaged in some way. You could open it and try reflowing the shunt on the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Ive got the same problem with mine. I can only asume the shunt or the power monitering components have been damaged in some way. You could open it and try reflowing the shunt on the main board.
    I've opened and inspected it closely and can't find anything obviously out of place. Have a photo of what I should be looking for?

If the current shunt gets a fractured connection to the pdb on one end it could cause high readings that's why Joe_B suggested maybe reflowing it, it could be hard to see a solder joint fracture without an aid of some sort and also may not be at the solder itself but inside the component. An easy test is to bypass it temporarily with test leads or anything you can come up with.

Sorry, I should have clarified. What does the shunt look like or is located?

Here you go:

pdb current shunt

That's fantastic. Thanks!

on the circled part... are those white parts soldered on across some traces?

? If you mean the tinned/kinda white ends next to the 'R' and the '1' in 'R001' they are soldered on fairly big solder pads, the left one runs straight to the red batt. lead and the right side of the shunt gets routed through to the second layed and on to the esc's while also splitting to the other power hungry areas

Thanks again. I'll check it out the next time I have it opened. Do they sell that part separately from the PDB?

Curious why I'm able to "reset" the amp meter by seemingly saving settings in the profile a few times.

Which component handles the voltage measurement? Surprised that it is perfectly fine.