Thread: Why the difference in fly time of other commerically availble quads and Disco?

Navigator

Why the difference in fly time of other commerically availble quads and Disco?

I've had my Disco for over 3 years, maybe 4 years. I love it. I did try the extended arm version, but too weak.
    None the less, I fly with Lumanier 5200, 4s and get about 15 min max, but typically 12min. Landing voltage off the top of my head is about 3.7 volts.
    However, today I was in the hobby store and noted a couple of those pre-made quads.
    Why do they have over double the fly time of the Disco?
    I noted they are considerably lighter. My Discovery is 1317gr without battery and 1823 with a 5200mah 4s. I could do 3S at about 6,000mah or 3S at 5000 and shave 100gr.

The premade are composed of a lot of plastic I noted.

Yuneec Typhoon Q500: up to 25 min, 5400mAh 3S. 60.0 oz (1700g) with battery, 40.0 oz (1130g)
    Blade Chroma: up to 30min, 6300mah 3S. 45.9oz
    IRC vortex 285 and 250. FS Dom, Turnigy 9xr transmitter, EzUHF,

The RTF birds preform well because they tend to be lighter, this is in part because of the materials but also because the internal electronic components are designed from the ground up for the air frame. This allow the circuit boards to be shaped in a manner that seamlessly integrates with the air frame, weigh less, and preform only the functions that are necessary (unlike kits, which have to be open and flexible to allow users freedom to install the gear that they want to use). Additionally the power system is designed to operate at peak efficiency levels from propeller, motor, esc, and how the motors are driven (timing, dynamic braking, and update frequency...).

Also, generally speaking the hobbyist has a Jeremy Clarkson mentality, which ultimately means that the power system is not efficient... though it will be "fun".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18n2u2jtl147.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	735.9 KB 
ID:	69347
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Navigator
    Great to see your flying the SuperX. I'm almost double your AUW, and can fly just shy of thirty minutes.
    Here's my Eclac setup that doesn't show when I'm in forward flight at the sweet spot of 13-16 mph cruise my current draw drops to around 3 amps less then current draw in hover. Haven't had an RTF out fly me yet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	69351  

Navigator
    I'd hate to buy all that plastic kit when you crash in a RTF. Disco arms are quite cheap.
    I have tried to ditch the SuperX many times. It is REALLY heavy and also has modules for everything. The FC is large, but servos only plug into the external box which is heavy and also doesn't support one servo wire. I have 8 wires from the RX to the frame, 8 from the frame to the box, then the box to the FC. The compass is huge and has a separate compass (huge again), and the OSD is huge also. However, it flies so well, nothing else compares. I keep going back to it.

If I went to an eagle tree FC with it's 12v regulator (21g+13g+15gr) it would be 49grams.
    The SuperX is 65gr+58gr+35gr+voltage regulator 12gr+OSD 16gr it weighs 186gr!!!
    I could shave 100gr on a 5000mah 3S vs. 5000mah 4S and over 130gr on a new FC.
    I wonder how much time I could gain from a weight savings of 230gr?
    Last edited by serpa4; 9th January 2016 at 02:08 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
    I'd hate to buy all that plastic kit when you crash in a RTF. Disco arms are quite cheap.
    I have tried to ditch the SuperX many times. It is REALLY heavy and also has modules for everything. The FC is large, but servos only plug into the external box which is heavy and also doesn't support one servo wire. I have 8 wires from the RX to the frame, 8 from the frame to the box, then the box to the FC. The compass is huge and has a separate compass (huge again), and the OSD is huge also. However, it flies so well, nothing else compares. I keep going back to it.
    You must have V1 of the I/O box, I have V2 and use with S-bus with the TBS crossfire and dual OSD's. Yes, and nothing flies like the X! I 'll take the HUGE aluminum cases any day over plastic.
    Here's a pic with my Tattu 4S7000, 20 min. hover. I trust them more over water then the Multistars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160101_103918.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	340.5 KB 
ID:	69354  

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
    I wonder how much time I could gain from a weight savings of 230gr?
    On average, for every gram saved equals around a second of flight time. So you talking almost 4 minutes.

To add what Derrick said- TBS (and similar) type frames with those jelly/flexy DJI style arms are the heaviest frames around for their size already, then nearly 200gr FC instead of a 2gr one, probably motor and ESC connectors, PDBs, and so on. Weight is everything! If I get my hands on one of them copters I could easily shave off at least half a kilo, and guess what- that's the weight of an extra 5.0A 4s battery on board
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Navigator
    I've seen people come into the hobby shop that consider flight time to be the most important performance benchmark on which they base their entire purchase of a multirotor on. Of course the companies that build these RTF's know this about consumers.

However If you have ever flown most of the RTF's out there like the Yuneec you will quickly discover they are so much tamer and less aggressive than your average Disco, which also adds to their longer flight times.

I guess it all depends on how you like to fly, as I fly the Disco 99% of the time because I enjoy it's maneuverability, speed, and being able to fly it out further away worry free with the vantage point of a bird. I feel the Disco's perform better in all aspects pertaining to FPV than any RTF multirotor platform.
    Last edited by Clouseau; 9th January 2016 at 06:47 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is because obviously it doesn't have enough bells and whistles as it is...

Navigator
    Disco is great to fly.
    I'll try a different FC for one that I already have.

Flying Cinema Dev Team Leviathan's Avatar
    +,,