Page 460 of 560 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470510 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,600 of 5594

Thread: Molded Ritewing Drak Build & Info place

Quote Originally Posted by tibor View Post
    Is it normal if my trims are good (level flight) into the wind but when I turn downwind it starts to loose altitude pretty fast? This is at about 50 mph with 10 mph wind.
    Think about it this way: When you are facing into the wind, you have 10mph additional airspeed. So 60MPH. Turn around. Now you have lost the 10MPH boost, plus you are robbed of 10MPH more of lift. Now you have 40MPH of airspeed. The drak has huge surface area, so this makes sense that the airframe is staying level into the wind, but losing alt with it.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

No, that makes no sense at all. Airspeed is Airspeed- you don't lose airspeed just because the wind is blowing at your tail. Your groundspeed picks up, but your airspeed stays the same. Maybe slightly during the turn, but once the turn is complete your airspeed returns to the same speed you were going when you were traveling upwind.

Yeah, if you go a ways back, there was a lengthy debate with a ton of educational information and links to nasa sites and such discussing this - regardless of a downwind turn, you don't lose airspeed - the plane picks up ground speed (or losses it), but air speed remains the same. It's not intuitive at first, but makes sense once you get it. Regardless, there are a couple situations where you can lose airspeed on a downwind turn - either if it's really gusty also, or if the turn is made really fast and the plane doesn't have enough time to pick up the necessary speed. Otherwise though, when going from upwind to downwind (or vice versa), there is no change in airspeed. Look up downwind turn myth or do a search for downwind in this thread and have fun blowing your mind!

I'll try to post a video of it, but I only have onboard video so it's hard to see what I'm talking about.
    And it was in 2D mode so that's also strange.

You always loose airspeed when turning. Also if the wind speed increase when you turn downwind your airspeed will drop. Elevator will feel unresponsive in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    You always loose airspeed when turning. Also if the wind speed increase when you turn downwind your airspeed will drop. Elevator will feel unresponsive in this situation.
    Ok, thanks. I got that.
    But forget about the turn I was talking about after the turn flying straight.

Navigator
    The new verts work great. They seem to take away that queezy feeling that something bad is about to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tibor View Post
    Ok, thanks. I got that.
    But forget about the turn I was talking about after the turn flying straight.
    When flying straight downwind the airspeed will be exactly the same as when flying into the wind or in a cross wind. As long as the wind is steady it will have no effect on airspeed.

Navigator
    Good luck Hoss, Never give up.. Never leave one behind dude. (Even when its 1 or 2am in the morning and you gotta get to work early)

Airspeed - This is a good one.. Remembering trim. Always setup a trim for your currently flight. If trimmed correctly, this should stay the same regardless if its downwind or upwind. However You may get localized conditions that affect the performance or the plane. This can then seem to make the trim take more of an effect or will be required more. As a pilot, Ive always been told to adjust the trim depending on my attitude. (Horizon)

You may of experienced and down draft. I have one the other day- That's the main reason on why I think I blown an ESC (Current thinking) Because there was a storm close by and this provided enough down force which I think I counted too much :/

Hope this help or maybe not :/

Van
    Last edited by Vanblade; 20th July 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    When flying straight downwind the airspeed will be exactly the same as when flying into the wind or in a cross wind. As long as the wind is steady it will have no effect on airspeed.
    I mean I hear you. And I've tried to wrap my head around it, but I can tell you my air speed sensor reads differently when heading in to the wind vs going with it.