Page 11 of 560 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Molded Ritewing Drak Build & Info place

Instructor Pilot
    Wow, 350.00 , that's insane!

Navigator
    Hi Chris!
    I'm sure glad I ordered 2 of your 10,000mah's today!
    Someone on here referred me to you for lipos.
    I really appreciate the tip from both of you!

The Drak I ordered from team-legit is supposed to arrive next week.
    So, I'm anxious to get started on the build, but I still have to get a DLA V3 system though.
    I may get another Taranis x9d Plus, since I don't want to have to pull the JR EZUHF module out between the Ranger EX and the Drak each time.

I was more inclined to go for the TBS but after reading your comments, I'm going to do my research on the DLA v3. I only want the best for my Draks

Quote Originally Posted by jcatrc View Post
    I'm going through the same decisions as you.
    I have a Ranger EX with the EZUHF diversity Rx and JR Module on my Taranis x9d Plus.
    I've been able to go out about 8 miles with EZUHF with no failsafes (65-70 RSSI levels), but that took a lot of tweaking.
    I'm using Ibcrazy's dipoles on the JRModule Tx, and two dipoles on the EZUHF Diversity Rx.
    However, with my EZUHF JR Module, at 3 miles out, I have to switch from low 200mW power to high 500mW power to regain signal strength.

But, for the Drak setup, I'm probably going to buy another Taranis x9D plus and dedicate it to a new Dragonlink Advanced V3.
    Since I don't want to have to remove the JRModule every time I want to switch flying from the Ranger Ex to the Drak.
    I'm anxious to see what this DL V3 setup can do for long range on only 1 dipole Rx.
    It depends on your electronics separation, frequency you use for video etc, but with about 2ft between your vtx and control rx on 1.3,.the dragon link system should be good for about 20 - 25 miles. If you were to separate by a good deal (say wing tip to wing tip), dragon could potentially get you up to 35 - 40 miles. Add directional antennas and you're looking at massive distances.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatrc View Post
    Hello guys,

I was going to go with a 4s setup, but after Chris did all the testing on 5s, I think that will be the choice for my Drak. What do you think of this Max Amps 11,000mah 5s 40c lipo? My goal is long range distance and long flight times.

5S 18.5 volts
    True 40C rating
    Lifetime warranty
    5C fast charge capable
    100% waterproof
    Built today with factory fresh cells
    Built with genuine 12awg Deans Ultra wire
    We add the connector and JST-XH balancing tap for you
    158mm x 59mm x 51mm, 1060g

Attachment 69532
    Wooooh.....that's a pricey batt!!!

I'm the end, with both systems you're very likely to never have a failsafe unless you've done something wrong. By default, 433 is capable of longer distances than 900, but in reality your video signal will be gone before your control link starts complaining on either system. Super long range gets really boring anyway . Unless you're cloud hopping, there's not much fun in looking through a 2.8mm security camera at 2000ft. At least for me, what I found is that once I achieved / exceeded the goals I set for myself with distance, it just lost its thrill. The adrenaline rush I got from being out way way far turned into a sickness in my stomach with the realization that, regardless of the safety nets I have in place, if I lose anything at 2000ft, there's a good chance that my rig is gone. But I will say that before I actually made any impressive distance runs, it was an obsession that was only getting remedied by doing it. It became an expensive solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain crash View Post
    Wooooh.....that's a pricey batt!!!
    I can say that I've never seen a plane that carried a battery that was more expensive than the bird itself.

Alright, after almost a week of silence of a USPS tracking, i finally was able to collect my Drak this morning from the post office and just went through the mystery of unpacking of highly anticipated thing - i'm sure you know what i'm talking about)))

I must say even though i watched all those pics & vids in reality its totally different when you hold this plane in your hands. The center section is huge, tonns of space + you certainly can cut some foam inside if needed without loosing any rigidity. The wing consoles look tiny when separated in contrast But when you put everything together on the floor the whole thing looks very serious. Can't wait to have it built, but not sure if i'll have chance to accomplish it soon. Still need to get some other stuff required for the build. Gonna take take for the build anyway, its not an overnight build plane for me.

Not sure for how long Chris had to practice and try different packing layout but i was not able to put everything back in a box the same way it arrived)) Only the motor mount tips of a fuse where slightly jammed, which should not be a problem after assembly at all, the rest was perfect after travel.

Quick build question: if you take a look carefully at the surface, you can notice those gaps sometimes between cells on a surface. when you apply plasti-dip, will it stretch somewhat hiding those gaps or it will follow the cavities? Should i fill those gaps before doing plasti dip? Please advise.

P.S. SS motor is a state of the art BTW.

Navigator
    Just flew it. Hey chris can we get your vector settings? I was running 2x 4000 mah of the regular zippy batteries. I used the jig that you provided with the cut off pieces of the control rods. At the field I had it by the top of the nose and ran it to full throttle as I guided it up and didn't have any issues getting it into the air besides that tree that I was probably too close to. It still pulled up and cleared the tree with plenty of room. CG seemed to be a little too far aft as it was twitching up and down. Landed and moved batteries forward a couple of millimeters and it was better. Overall pretty good.

Navigator
    Oh and your SS motor is awesome. Right before I flew it I ran the motor up holding it by the nose and knew it was going to go pretty well.