Page 101 of 560 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 5594

Thread: Molded Ritewing Drak Build & Info place

Instructor Pilot
    I don't want to go into the flight controller and dig through the bays every time I want to unplug the wings. I was also electrical contractor in my previous lifetime, I did everything from control to heavy industrial to light commercial. I know about keeping it simple but also making and usable, and not over doing it all at the same time.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Maj.Duty View Post
    Those connectors are super cool. Good job. Seems unnecessary, though. What are you guys trying to achieve by installing yet another connector? Are you trying to keep the wiring clean in the bays?

All my wires are or will be tied down really cleanly and wires cut to length (I was a panel wireman in a previous occupation) but the servo wires simply run through a very small hole and into the FC. No addional connectors needed.

Maybe you all are trying to save from unplugging at the FC every time and instead unplug at a different connector. I just don't know what you're really gaining by adding more complexity
    More complex in build, yes. In theory I think it was a really cool concept as all you need to do is slide the wing on and everything is connected (the simpler part). Pretty sweet, I thought. That is, until I saw Chris' video. Cool in theory, but maybe not so much in practice. With the plane flexing, that stresses the hard joint which is muy no bueno. Chris's video changed my mind in ever doing the hard connection like that.

I feel like people are seeing the thumbnail of the video showing those green multiplex connectors and assuming that the video shows them being installed? There is nothing simpler than connecting to a glued servo cable. It is more work and more complex to have to route the wire each time.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    You didn't watch the video I presume?
    Ha! At my 2:00 break I will...though I recall seeing it weeks or a couple months ago.

I usually leave the wings on all my planes but with this one I definitely like to be able to remove them
    Last edited by Maj.Duty; 3rd February 2016 at 05:58 PM.

Instructor Pilot
    Nope just made that video a couple hours ago, I did it so you guys can have options and ponder a few of my reasoning for the way I do it

Navigator
    K,...watched it. I admit I posted early but I see we are still gluing in a connector on one end but not that connector seen in the thumb nail. Much more simple but I'm still going to run mine straight to the FC, no connector in between. I can always add it in later if I discover it is a PITA to plug into the FC every time.

I've routed my servo wires into the bays, put the wings on, removed them and the wires again at least a dozen times now if not more and never once did it occur to me it was anything but easy. But then again I was distracted the whole time by how cool this plane is. It hasn't left my kitchen island/building board since the day I received it. Love it

It hasn't left my kitchen island/building board since the day I received it. Love it
    Your wife must love that!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifteer View Post
    Your wife must love that!
    I'm a single father with my own home. I probably would not even have the airplane if I was still married to that woman. I know I wouldn't. Life is much better now - the girls go home at the end of the night (or as early as possible the next morning)

To keep some topic - I'm going to start painting this weekend. I'll share some pictures later.

K,...watched it. I admit I posted early but I see we are still gluing in a connector on one end but not that connector seen in the thumb nail. Much more simple but I'm still going to run mine straight to the FC, no connector in between. I can always add it in later if I discover it is a PITA to plug into the FC every time.

I've routed my servo wires into the bays, put the wings on, removed them and the wires again at least a dozen times now if not more and never once did it occur to me it was anything but easy. But then again I was distracted the whole time by how cool this plane is. It hasn't left my kitchen island/building board since the day I received it. Love it
    I hear ya. I've been doing it that way too. In reality, either is easy as fck, one is just a little cleaner and more streamlined. As with anything that is a little sharper, it takes a tiny bit more work. You could even run extensions from the fc into the bays so you don't have to constantly plug in and out of the fc, but at that point you might as well just glue them in, which is where I'm at.

Co-Pilot
    Its nice being able to just slide the wings on and have the connections snap together. However, the easier way is to just run the servo wire through a hole and plug it into an extension that goes to the flight controller/osd. Having to fiddle with plugging the servo wire directly into the fc/osd is a pain. It is worth doing though if you put your vtx/rx on the wings. As Chris suggested, do one part of connector glued in and leave other part loose so the wires can flex, instead of the pins in the connectors flexing. Since most on this build only have servos on the wings I don't think this is really worth spending too much time on.