Page 403 of 560 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405413453503 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 5594

Thread: Molded Ritewing Drak Build & Info place

Navigator
    I'd love to cloud surf but too many planes fly around where I live. The International airport is at least 20 miles away but the area where I live is dotted with small airports and at least two different places where crop dusters post up. In fact, even flying low to the ground is sketchy because of those crop dusters. They're everywhere, flying 10' above the ground.

My one mountain surfing video I posted a ways back, the morning I got there a private plane came flying over head, saw me and started flying low circles around my location, banked over staring at me, my Drak in the bed of my truck. I packed up and went home and then a Sheriff past me by going to where I just was. Determined to make at least one freaking flight, I returned in the evening to make the attempt anyway but frankly I'm a little paranoid to fly because of all this and the stories I see on the news on a weekly basis.

Just the other night, the special report on the news was "how to stay safe in THE DRONE ZONE". Seriously. It's ridiculous.

Navigator
    Sepp, what is the stallspeed with canards?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MotoG3 met Tapatalk

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Maj.Duty View Post
    I'd love to cloud surf but too many planes fly around where I live. The International airport is at least 20 miles away but the area where I live is dotted with small airports and at least two different places where crop dusters post up. In fact, even flying low to the ground is sketchy because of those crop dusters. They're everywhere, flying 10' above the ground.

My one mountain surfing video I posted a ways back, the morning I got there a private plane came flying over head, saw me and started flying low circles around my location, banked over staring at me, my Drak in the bed of my truck. I packed up and went home and then a Sheriff past me by going to where I just was. Determined to make at least one freaking flight, I returned in the evening to make the attempt anyway but frankly I'm a little paranoid to fly because of all this and the stories I see on the news on a weekly basis.

Just the other night, the special report on the news was "how to stay safe in THE DRONE ZONE". Seriously. It's ridiculous.
    As an added safety measure, I always use this app when I'm up in the air. It's always good to know who's flying around you.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/42.77,-82.54/

I'm very fortunate not to have any major metro airports by me. It's pretty quite up there except for a piper cub once in a while.
    However, I do see some commercial air traffic is up around 35,000 feet.

I wish those heli drones never existed because it only took a few bad incidents and ruined it for everyone else who's taking precautions.
    I remember a comment a while ago from a prominent pilot. He said a bald eagle weighs 14lbs.
    If I was flying a regular plane I would rather hit a 6-7.5lb foamy vs. a bald eagle.

Navigator
    Does anyone know what voltage Chris Klick at Ritewing set the LVC on his 85amp ESC?
    I think it's set at 3.2volt, but I wanted to confirm first.
    Also, anyway we can disable it?
    This is precautionary for sudden strong head wind while being out a ways and to avoid losing the plane from the LVC cutting power to the motor.

Navigator
    Pages back he posted the docs to allow changing ESC settings. Seems there are 2 different ESCs. One with a red shrink and the other with black.

Instructor Pilot
    Its 3.2, see first page for esc manual

Quote Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Drak, but I have a couple of questions.
    1. Will a 14 inch folding prop fit between the vertical fins?
    2. What is the most efficient cruising speed for straight and level flight? What is the efficiency in milli-amp-hours/(mile or kilometer) at that speed? Please let me know what battery cell count and motor you're using. I'm really interested to know if it can cruise at a reasonable speed (say 40-45MPH) at around 250 mAH/Mile on 4S like the Talon.

Thanks!
    1. I think it just fits but you won't have too much clerance between the verts and props.
    2. the answer depends on your setup and weight. The most efficient motor-prop combo for this plane is the SS motor with 11x7 APC prop and 5S battery. With this combo you can cruise (~40 mph) with less than 10 amps depends on the aircraft overall weight.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by tibor View Post
    1. I think it just fits but you won't have too much clerance between the verts and props.
    2. the answer depends on your setup and weight. The most efficient motor-prop combo for this plane is the SS motor with 11x7 APC prop and 5S battery. With this combo you can cruise (~40 mph) with less than 10 amps depends on the aircraft overall weight.
    I would expect larger prop to be significantly more efficient based on a lot of experimentation with other planes. It should also be much quieter.
    10 Amps on 5S at 40MPH is only about 20 percent worse than what I'm looking for. I believe a lower KV Motor and something like a 13x10 prop (for example) should be noticeably more efficient in cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
    I would expect larger prop to be significantly more efficient based on a lot of experimentation with other planes. It should also be much quieter.
    10 Amps on 5S at 40MPH is only about 20 percent worse than what I'm looking for. I believe a lower KV Motor and something like a 13x10 prop (for example) should be noticeably more efficient in cruise.
    If you have a lot of different motors, props and batteries on your bench to experiment with that should be fun.
    For me it was better and easier to use something what had already been tested and tweaked by the designer of the plane.

Instructor Pilot
    Big props on this plane are not always more efficient. The sweet spots are. A 13 inch prop still easily fits with the new verts