Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Z1 and other hotwired cut kits

Instructor Pilot

Z1 and other hotwired cut kits

Hey guys I am going to fire up the cutter for some custom cuts here in the next few weeks.

I am cutting a few Z1 and will be doing some others for me for RND.

I am looking for some feedback and would like to know what sizes of wings you guys mite be interested in, if any?

I'd spring for a massive wing, if doable. Somewhere in the 75 - 85 in. range.

Instructor Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I'd spring for a massive wing, if doable. Somewhere in the 75 - 85 in. range.
    What characteristics does it need to have?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

If you're taking cutting totally custom kits and not just scaled versions of planes you've already invented, then I could come up with a list I suppose. Are you talking all the way down to wing sweep and airfoil type? Totally custom? Thanks.

Instructor Pilot
    No I know what the airfoils do. I just don't know if you're looking for a super lofty long-range floater something that does a little bit of both or something that absolutely rails. I'm not doing a bunch of custom stuff with custom airfoils and having somebody else design it. I've been a lot of research on aircraft all the way up to 120 inch wingspan. If you have thought about it I've done it. When you're talking airplanes that big it starts to get awfully expensive with the foam and the time of labor. I'm not in the position to do a bunch of research at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    No I know what the airfoils do. I just don't know if you're looking for a super lofty long-range floater something that does a little bit of both or something that absolutely rails. I'm not doing a bunch of custom stuff with custom airfoils and having somebody else design it. I've been a lot of research on aircraft all the way up to 120 inch wingspan. If you have thought about it I've done it. When you're talking airplanes that big it starts to get awfully expensive with the foam and the time of labor. I'm not in the position to do a bunch of research at this moment.

For sure - I'm certain that you know a tremendous amount about planes - i just wasn't sure how deep you wanted me to go when you asked about characteristics. I'd rather not have to pick an airfoil as you know much better what works for what application than I do, and I'd be guessing at what I think would work.

So, for basic characteristics I'd want something big, but somewhat fast. I'd be looking to go 6s 10,000 + on it with a 12 or 13 " prop. Something not very dragging that can cruise around when you wanted it to, but get up and move when you smack it. Basically, a big z2 would be perfect.

Z1 and other hotwired cut kits

hey chris,

looking for something just a little lighter and handier than the beloved ZII, i'd really go for a wing around 48-50" for sport-type flying. not as massive as a full blown ZII, still rugged with a not too thin profile and sufficient root chord. not exactly looking for top speed or ultimate lightweight here, rather a lower midsize sport-wing that takes a sufficient propulsion for powerful climbs and is crisp on the sticks...

- oooh, i guess i'm looking for something that looks like a ZII at the size and flight characteristics of a Z3...

cheers, basti.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    For sure - I'm certain that you know a tremendous amount about planes - i just wasn't sure how deep you wanted me to go when you asked about characteristics. I'd rather not have to pick an airfoil as you know much better what works for what application than I do, and I'd be guessing at what I think would work.

So, for basic characteristics I'd want something big, but somewhat fast. I'd be looking to go 6s 10,000 + on it with a 12 or 13 " prop. Something not very dragging that can cruise around when you wanted it to, but get up and move when you smack it. Basically, a big z2 would be perfect.
    dude! I would love something 90" wingspan size! I have some big power setups laying here from when I flew Giant Scale 3D airplanes that would like a 'home'

Quote Originally Posted by slowgto View Post
    dude! I would love something 90" wingspan size! I have some big power setups laying here from when I flew Giant Scale 3D airplanes that would like a 'home'
    Yeah, i love things that can take some wind and not look like you're flying on a drunken, broken roller coaster. There's something nice about the characteristics of a big plane... plus you can pack them with a ton of juice and a monster motor. I'm all about it. Considering making a run back to building foaming just to build a mammoth plane.

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar
    what is the purpose? Are you looking for crowd sourced ideas to take or looking to make some money selling extra wings?
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"