Page 504 of 558 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514554 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 5579

Thread: Molded Ritewing Drak Build & Info place

  1. #5031
    Navigator
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymbilant View Post
    Yeah pretty sure there won't be anymore stall testing going on in my draks future.........yeah if you watch the video we were a little over 600' up should have had plenty of time to recover.
    Did you have the gyro on? Looks like it went into full auger mode.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #5032
    Instructor Pilot
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymbilant View Post
    Yeah pretty sure there won't be anymore stall testing going on in my draks future.........yeah if you watch the video we were a little over 600' up should have had plenty of time to recover.
    Did you get a chance to shut off the auto pilot when it was spinning. If it's spinning with the autopilot on it's usually hard to recover. Do you have the longer vertical stabilizers. I have not been able to get my aircraft to stall when the center of gravity on the money with the new stabilizers

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

  3. #5033
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    444
    Cymbilant, those uncontrolled landings suck....

    Here's what I learn from your video:
    -600ft is not high enough
    -if you try to stall, it might actually stall unrecoverable (I rarely do stall tests; I slow her down and see how she feels but usually stop before she stalls. I case of my Drak that was at 27-30mph (older style verts); I put the new ones on and just trust Chris' word.
    -if you do, you need an exit strategy; not sure what you tried to get her back, any info on that? I know it's easy to come up with ideas after watching a video in slow motion but hard if you only have one shot and a couple of seconds, but that's why you need a strategy beforehand.
    It looks to me like she spun relatively flat, probably never gained enough speed for the elevons to work. Maybe down elevator and throttle up would have helped? Then again, 600ft is probably not enough.
    I don't want to sound like a smartass, just trying to learn.....

  4. #5034
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lakeland Fl
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    Did you get a chance to shut off the auto pilot when it was spinning. If it's spinning with the autopilot on it's usually hard to recover. Do you have the longer vertical stabilizers. I have not been able to get my aircraft to stall when the center of gravity on the money with the new stabilizers

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    We were in manual mode the whole flight.....there was no flight stabilation active. I actually ordered the vertical fins this afternoon. As far as cg goes it flew literally hands off level after some left trim was added......it did not porpoise around as I had seen others do on there first flights. So this being my very first wing I am not sure how to test for proper cg balance while flying. Usually on a typical style aircraft I would put it into a 45* climb roll it inverted and then neutralize any elevator imput and see if the plane wants to arc out or continue on the 45* climb. Which is a good indicator of proper cg.
    Here's what it looked like balanced before flight right on the 1.5" mark from the spar cap.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	75117

  5. #5035
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lakeland Fl
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by crashsalot View Post
    Cymbilant, those uncontrolled landings suck....

    Here's what I learn from your video:
    -600ft is not high enough
    -if you try to stall, it might actually stall unrecoverable (I rarely do stall tests; I slow her down and see how she feels but usually stop before she stalls. I case of my Drak that was at 27-30mph (older style verts); I put the new ones on and just trust Chris' word.
    -if you do, you need an exit strategy; not sure what you tried to get her back, any info on that? I know it's easy to come up with ideas after watching a video in slow motion but hard if you only have one shot and a couple of seconds, but that's why you need a strategy beforehand.
    It looks to me like she spun relatively flat, probably never gained enough speed for the elevons to work. Maybe down elevator and throttle up would have helped? Then again, 600ft is probably not enough.
    I don't want to sound like a smartass, just trying to learn.....
    i can say it was more straight down than flat.....which is very weird to me because I have flown many planes and have intentionally stalled the aircraft so that I could right side up flat spin to an inverted flat spin and then relax the sticks let the nose drop and regain control. I have never seen one go into a spin pointing straight down and not be able to regain control. I had a cap232 that crashed in a flat spin, it would not drop its nose, it came down like a saucer. That was a true flat spin. And you are right 600' wasn't enough.....maybe another 5' we'd have had her!!����
    Last edited by Cymbilant; 14th November 2016 at 11:22 PM.

  6. #5036
    Instructor Pilot
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    3,309
    The problem is when it gets into a flat spin it Shadows that control vertical stabilizers. And at that point it doesn't seem to have a dull moment and all the inertia goes to the outer edges like a triangle spinning. So install and no forward motion and in the spin it can't recover. After we've made the modified verticals it is help with the stock characteristics of this aircraft tremendously. I haven't been able to stall it since. Everything's always a work in motion. The only real issue I seen it when people literally get it to do a full elevator stall and stop the aircraft in the air. I've been able to get it out by going light power on and nose down. But once you get it spinning too fast sometimes you just can't stop the shadowing and the inertia of the spin

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

  7. #5037
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lakeland Fl
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    The problem is when it gets into a flat spin it Shadows that control vertical stabilizers. And at that point it doesn't seem to have a dull moment and all the inertia goes to the outer edges like a triangle spinning. So install and no forward motion and in the spin it can't recover. After we've made the modified verticals it is help with the stock characteristics of this aircraft tremendously. I haven't been able to stall it since. Everything's always a work in motion. The only real issue I seen it when people literally get it to do a full elevator stall and stop the aircraft in the air. I've been able to get it out by going light power on and nose down. But once you get it spinning too fast sometimes you just can't stop the shadowing and the inertia of the spin

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    That actually makes pretty good sense to me. We actually had enough time to talk about what we should do.....stop the spin... Pull up....what do you think I'm doing.....pulse the throttle.....throttle and elevator together.....well just kill the throttle before it hits.����

  8. #5038
    Navigator
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymbilant View Post
    We were in manual mode the whole flight.....there was no flight stabilation active. I actually ordered the vertical fins this afternoon. As far as cg goes it flew literally hands off level after some left trim was added......it did not porpoise around as I had seen others do on there first flights. So this being my very first wing I am not sure how to test for proper cg balance while flying. Usually on a typical style aircraft I would put it into a 45* climb roll it inverted and then neutralize any elevator imput and see if the plane wants to arc out or continue on the 45* climb. Which is a good indicator of proper cg.
    Here's what it looked like balanced before flight right on the 1.5" mark from the spar cap.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	75117
    <----IMAC airplane guy here. I was taught the same way to check CG. that being said the reason I was asking about it being in any stabilize mode 2D, 3D, stabilize on, etc is you see the mode flash and gain flash after you hit the tree acting like it was in another mode. Once you feel it go into the stall, power and nose down to get you out. If you are already in the spin, cross control and power will get you out of you have enough room. Although WOT when you are already heading towards the earth at a high rate of speed is rather scary. All of that being said, the Drak's are by far my favorite FPV aircraft to go fly!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #5039
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lakeland Fl
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by slowgto View Post
    <----IMAC airplane guy here. I was taught the same way to check CG. that being said the reason I was asking about it being in any stabilize mode 2D, 3D, stabilize on, etc is you see the mode flash and gain flash after you hit the tree acting like it was in another mode. Once you feel it go into the stall, power and nose down to get you out. If you are already in the spin, cross control and power will get you out of you have enough room. Although WOT when you are already heading towards the earth at a high rate of speed is rather scary. All of that being said, the Drak's are by far my favorite FPV aircraft to go fly!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah I saw that mode flash also........as it was plunging to Mother Earth in a fiery ball of flames of galactic proportions.....�� if you notice the word "off" on upper left side that s telling you stabilize was off......but just after it hit the ground..... it went into RTH mode saying to many receiver glitches, which makes sense being it was actually under water.

  10. #5040
    Navigator
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymbilant View Post
    yeah I saw that mode flash also........as it was plunging to Mother Earth in a fiery ball of flames of galactic proportions.....�� if you notice the word "off" on upper left side that s telling you stabilize was off......but just after it hit the ground..... it went into RTH mode saying to many receiver glitches, which makes sense being it was actually under water.
    Yeah I saw it said 'off' but you never know how people program mixes and things. Get the pitot tube and set the minimum airspeed to 30 and loiter/circle distance to grater than 90 (should be 60 by default) and things will work well. I have 3 of the big drak's and love everything single one of them. Let me know if you get stuck or need a hand.

Similar Threads

  1. New molded Ritewing Zephyr II
    By ritewing in forum RITEWING RC
    Replies: 8911
    Last Post: 5th December 2018, 01:01 PM
  2. New Ritewing Z3 S build info thread
    By ritewing in forum RITEWING RC
    Replies: 1696
    Last Post: 25th September 2018, 01:29 PM
  3. New molded Ritewing Mini-Zephyr!
    By DoctorAudio in forum FIXED WING
    Replies: 942
    Last Post: 7th May 2018, 07:27 AM
  4. COFPV Ritewing Drak Build Log
    By ezikiel12 in forum PILOT'S LAB
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 21st December 2015, 12:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •