Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basher RockSta 1/24 Mini Rock Crawler FPV

Basher RockSta 1/24 Mini Rock Crawler FPV

I was waiting for a kit version (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=90525) and as soon as it appeared at HK- grabbed instantly as they're flying off the shelves. I didn't go for RTR version coz I don't like pistol radios and brushed motors, and I'll be rebuilding the body anyway to fit a bigger battery and FPV gear. It will not be as fancy as my 1/8 rock crawler (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....62-ROBOCRAWLER) which I'm getting back to shortly, I just wanted for my 6 yo son to start FPVing. Weather is absolute shite and my 1/8 one has no space to run around the house. ...OK, I'm not gonna fool any of you, we all know who's the biggest child here, it was only an excuse for my wife which called it a BS anyway, obviously
    As I have 3ish weeks before it is at my door I have some questions for the ones who knows smth about autos electronics. My knowledge in this section is as big as about ballet shoes... The main question is whether I screwed up choosing brushless motors
    Instead of 130 size brushed motors, as equivalent I ordered these- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9069 and planning to use 2s battery. According to Google, I'll have 3 times more RPM then with 130 size brushed ones. No info on what pinion or it's pitch is on RTR version, or what's the gear ratio, nothing. So I grabbed blindly 9T pinions as they were the only ones to be found quickly that is for 1.5mm shaft- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15254. ESCs I think should do these ones (got a programming card as well)- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23766.
    It is not for speed of course, and if my choice of motors are too powerfull then I can limit my throttle via Taranis (and some thr curve), but I really would not want to use 1s as FPV gear needs at least 2s.
    For FPV gear- probably IRC Vtx 5.8ghz 600mw, or maybe 3.3ghz system, didn't decide yet. Cam that I have is MiniPZ 5v 600tvl and will stick it on a servo just for tilting up and down. I have Effio-V one as well but it needs 12v minimum and I don't want to start putting all them step-ups and voltage regulators, but will look at that option as well. Taranis with 6ch PWM Rx will do the job, no need for TBS Crossfire LOL
    So, me hornies, if you have a thought or two (especially about motor/pinion), plz speak your mind
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

The only thing I would worry about with that brushless set up is how smooth the start up will be. Some of my sensorless Brushless set ups cog a bit and start up a bit harsh. Other than that, this set up looks really cool. I like the MOA axle set up. Similar to a ClodBuster, only its tiny. The other cool part about having separate front and rear motor control is you can do a front or rear dig. Could come in handy on tight crawling courses.

There are a couple benefits to a brushed set up...The start up is smoother and you can run more than one motor on a single speed controller. You just run both motors in parallel.
    Ritewing Zehyr II and UThere Ruby
    CineTank MK2 Long Arm and Eagle Tree Vector
    ZMR250 and Naze32/Raiju 155
    OpenLRS all the way!
    EMAXX 6x6 ground rig

Thanks for joining in bud
    I like motors on axles as well, simply because is much easier for mods to extend the body. Or to add another axle for 6x6, or another one for 8x8.
    ESC users in reviews say that they are smooth on start but of course for a crawler it has to be super smooth. We'll see, I'll mess around with timing and see what best I can get out of them. And I believe a smaller pinion will smooth the start (along with throttle) as well, but let's try that 9T first.
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

I am doing the same thing with my Basher Rocksta. You are a bit ahead of me so would love to hear how you went with the pinion gears?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bmanners View Post
    I am doing the same thing with my Basher Rocksta. You are a bit ahead of me so would love to hear how you went with the pinion gears?

Brett
    Welcome to the Lab!
    I chose my pinions blindly, simply because the ones were for 1.5mm shaft Can't tell anything yet as it was only shipped out two days ago, so still 2-3 weeks to wait.
    Derrick:

I got the kit the other day and the spare parts list says it's an 8T pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bmanners View Post
    I got the kit the other day and the spare parts list says it's an 8T pinion.
    Does it say so in a paper manual? I couldn't find that info anywhere... Either way it's good to know, that means I didn't miss much with 9T and now can start looking for 7T pinions
    Derrick:

There was a manual in the box with a parts listing on the back page. I will scan it in and post it on Thursday when I am back at work.

Thanks man, I'd love to take a look before I get mine, maybe I'll get more ideas for mods and prepare for the arrival.

So lets prepare for the arrival, I got my pan/tilt system done
    On the cam I glued 9gr servo for tilt and for pan I have 180deg servo. LEDs are in GF tubes coz they are illuminating to the sides a bit as well. Otherwise without them horse blinkers I would have a bad glare to cam's lens with LEDs being so close to it.
    Bottom plate is not cut yet, I'll do that when I will be rebuilding the frame. The one in the pics is only for testing different positions of them blue dampeners. They're the softest around, but the system has very little weight, so spreading them too much apart not much dampening going on, and too close to servo makes the system too swingy. Anyway, I found their sweet spot

For more preparation I desoldered my old 3s 850mAh 45C Nanotechs by a cell. I didn't solder into 2s packs yet as I'm not sure whether 2s will be too fast and I'll have to use 1s setup, and I don't have enough connectors anyway. My plan is to mount 2 batteries on each axle as I did on my big crawler so there's weight on axles and more space in the frame. 1.7A total capacity will get me to the moon and back

Derrick:

I bought one of the RTR ones for my oldest son (14), gave it to him for his birthday today, its pretty cool, and a lot of fun, pretty sure, I'm having more fun with it than my son, I'll have to get my own. The last car I built was a Tamiya Frog, like 1984ish, when I was around my son's age, so I am a noob with cars/trucks. I might add some FPV, and make it so I can put it on and off pretty easily.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast