Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is a Z3 better for long range than a Z2?

Forum Member

is a Z3 better for long range than a Z2?

I currently have a well loved Z2 and figure I can get about 9-10 miles out of it with current setup, 7400mah 4s, Hacker a30-8XL with a 10X6, I know I can change some things around and get more, but I was wondering what kind of range people are able to get out of the Z3 and I kinda want to redo the plane here soon and clean it up. Wondering if a Z3 would be an upgrade range wise. or should I save up a little more and build a drak?

Forum Member
    Might as well get the latest and greatest. The drak looks like a fantastic platform for both rAnge and speed so no reason not to get one if you're willing to pony up the extra cost.

The ziii is, imo, a nice platform and can be great for long range. However, I wouldn't say it's that much better than the zii in this respect. Both are fantastic but if you have a zii already I'd skip the ziii and forge ahead with a drak.

Forum Member
    Actually the Z3 is less efficient mah/distance wise than the z2 (given a roughly equal setup), vierfuffzig did some comparisons, not sure if I can dig up recordings/conclusions from him.

But 9-10 miles does sound somewhat short - at what throttle % are you normally cruising? It might be that you are simply flying too fast/inefficient

Forum Member
    i'm more on the metric side here, but if you're talking statute miles, and 10 of them is the distance you can reach (one-way) until you have to turn around back home, you're hitting about 3 Wh/km. that's pretty much where i found the Z3's sweet spot.

i think you could squeeze a bit more out of your ZII even without major changes in the drivetrain, getting you somewhere around 2 Wh/km, plus it takes 10-15 Ah of low-C lipos (like multistar) without drawbacks in handling. this would get you out to 20 miles +.

so, like said before, the Z3 is a great airframe and a blast to fly, but if you're looking for a major improvement of efficiency compared to the ZII, you might rather want to go for a larger wing to reduce load and AOA.

cheers, basti.

Forum Member
    Just did 10.5 miles today and landed with almost 1000mah left, so I think this setup has almost 12 in it. Conditions where pretty ideal, got some azimuth tips from ibcrazy, and was way more conservative on throttle.

Forum Member
    I regularly fly 14-15 miles using the Z3, the secret sauce combo, and a 8000 mAh Multistar battery. I land with some reserve as well. I use the recommended prop size from Ritewing (10x5).

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacklashRC View Post
    I regularly fly 14-15 miles using the Z3, the secret sauce combo, and a 8000 mAh Multistar battery. I land with some reserve as well. I use the recommended prop size from Ritewing (10x5).
    impressive. Good to know.

Forum Member
    @slappomatt: wow, that's very impressive indeed! just to get you right, you do get about 30 miles total trip out of say 6-7Ah with that setup?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vierfuffzig View Post
    @slappomatt: wow, that's very impressive indeed! just to get you right, you do get about 30 miles total trip out of say 6-7Ah with that setup?
    here is DVR footage for 10.6 mile flite.

Forum Member
    awesome, thank you!