www.immersionrc.com

Thread: Vortex LED board only shows 1 color, no bootup sequence

Navigator

Exclamation Vortex LED board only shows 1 color, no bootup sequence

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked before a few times, but I haven't seen any answer that really helps me solve this.
    So apologies for asking this again.

My Vortex' LEDs used to work fine, but now they show solid red, unless i short-press the button on the board. I haven't had any serious crashes, but nevertheless I wouldn't exclude the option that a solder connection is broken. I checked whether I could see anything visibly broken in the traces, but it all seems in tact. I believe it started to work like this after a firmware upgrade, but i can't recall this with 100% certainty.

Don't have a multimeter here (on holiday), nor a soldering iron. But i'm wondering if this could be related to a software issue.
    It makes sense that somehow the communication between the flight controller and the LED board is wrecked, but again.. haven't had any major crashes (still learning how to fly, and mostly practicing in angle mode).

Also I believe I saw some others that experience the same, without obvious broken leads.. but haven't seen an answer that explains or fixes this. I read also that the LED board could be broken, and the early models could have a buggy LED board (i have one of the first models that came out). Anyone who knows what I can do to try and fix it while abroad?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    And merry x-mas!

Have you tried using the LED setup in the OSD? The firmware update could have reset those settings. I just tinkered with my setting yesterday and was able to set up the LEDs so that they alternate flashing green/red and increase in speed as the throttle goes up. This feature can be tested withOUT arming the quad.

Navigator
    Hi ksmith, thanks for your reply. I tried that, that's actually where i noticed it is not working and there's not even a boot sequence. The LEDs are not responding to the configuration in the OSD. Solid RED unless i press the LED button on the board. Cheers,

canphaz

I'm sorry to hear that. I am not sure what could be the cause of it based upon your thorough troubleshooting. My only suggestion is to replace the LED board. If you're looking to save some money (and forfeit the coolness of RGB programmable LEDs) you could get a meter of LEDs for a few buck from HobbyKing, Amazon, BangGood, etc. I bought these Turnigy LEDs and that work quite well, VERY bright on 4S . Here's how they look on my 500mm quad:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0182ecf4cafdd17d8cfd24700255abb6fc93c6d1fa.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	69079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01e2f4e36fd88f9570a4cb415d4e4bf01707408ddd.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	69080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01d5796866cc5b9298fe410ea020f0efa42c29e342.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	69081