Thread: Merry Christmas From The FAA

Merry Christmas From The FAA

The FAA's has issued a fact Sheet providing guidance for the drafting of State and Local regulations pertaining to UAS.

Including these gems.

Consistent with its statutory authority, the FAA is requiring Federal registration of UAS in order to operate a UAS. Registering UAS will help protect public safety in the air and on the ground, aid the FAA in the enforcement of safety-related requirements for the operation of UAS, and build a culture of accountability and responsibility among users operating in U.S. airspace. No state or local UAS registration law may relieve a UAS owner or operator from complying with the Federal UAS registration requirements. Because Federal registration is the exclusive means for registering UAS for purposes of operating an aircraft in navigable airspace, no state or local government may impose an additional registration requirement on the operation of UAS in navigable airspace without first obtaining FAA approval.

Substantial air safety issues are raised when state or local governments attempt to regulate the operation or flight of aircraft. If one or two municipalities enacted ordinances regulating UAS in the navigable airspace and a significant number of municipalities followed suit, fractionalized control of the navigable airspace could result. In turn, this ‘patchwork quilt’ of differing restrictions could severely limit the flexibility of FAA in controlling the airspace and flight patterns, and ensuring safety and an efficient air traffic flow. A navigable airspace free from inconsistent state and local restrictions is essential to the maintenance of a safe and sound air transportation system.

EXAMPLES OF STATE AND LOCAL LAWS FOR WHICH CONSULTATION WITH THE FAA IS RECOMMENDED

Operational UAS restrictions on flight altitude, flight paths; operational bans; any regulation of the navigable airspace. For example – a city ordinance banning anyone from operating UAS within the city limits, within the airspace of the city, or within certain distances of landmarks. Federal courts strictly scrutinize state and local regulation of overflight.

Mandating equipment or training for UAS related to aviation safety such as geo-fencing
    would likely be preempted. Courts have found that state regulation pertaining to mandatory training and equipment requirements related to aviation safety is not consistent with the federal regulatory framework.

http://www.matrixblackops.com/Assets/FAADG.pdf

Wayne

Everybody loves a bunny.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Interesting. Seems like the FAA is going for a serious power grab here. I don't see why a city or state couldn't pass laws requiring you to stay so far away from people or structures with sUAS. Not that I would like to see it happen, but I believe it is the right of the states to decide. Kind of like banning the use of cell phones while driving. Besides, many states require registration of aircraft already.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Interesting. Seems like the FAA is going for a serious power grab here.
    -Alex
    It's actually a blessing in disguise, having a single regulatory body overseeing something makes it much easier for those who oppose any particular regulation to concentrate their forces and fight back against that single target versus running all over the country putting out spot fires.

That is exactly why here in Florida we convinced the Florida Legislature to take over the regulation of firearms and preempt and nullify all existing local ordnances, prior to that every one of the 67 counties and countless numbers of cities and towns where free to pass gun regulations as they wished causing wave after wave of new regulations based on headlines versus logic.

Now with the state in control when some hair-brained legislator tries to pass some draconian gun law, we can concentrate on Tallahassee and in most cases kill the bill in committee before it even gets a chance to go to the floor for a vote.

By the way this idea came out of and was pushed to the FAA by the AUVSI for that very reason.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    Will this have bearing on flying in Florida State Parks?

Yeah this is actually a good thing, because if you follow the news related to FPV/UAS/UAV like I do there are all these towns and cities coming up with some really ridiculous restrictions on "drone" flying. One town recently passed an ordinance that hobbyists were restricted to 130 feet of altitude because that's how high the water tower in the middle of town is. Of course they have no jurisdiction whatsoever on altitude restrictions and the release from the FAA will help clarify that.
    There's no place I can't be / Since I found FPV / But you can't take the sky from me

I see it as a positive, the very worst of politicians and legislators are found at the lowest levels, removing them from the picture is a good thing.

However the requirement is that a city consult with the FAA first, nothing more.
    Locals Only Brah.

Very common with the FAA to protect fliers. The FAA has been the best friend of skydiving operations when cities want to kick them off of airports that get federal funds. Now if you break the rules, the FAA will crack a very mean whip

Quote Originally Posted by 33db View Post
    I see it as a positive, the very worst of politicians and legislators are found at the lowest levels, removing them from the picture is a good thing.
    Oh come on now, many times the local politicians are the best politicians money can buy. ;-)

Merry Christmas.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Merry Commercial Holiday to you too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drone-no-no3_zpsteqmffno.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	448.7 KB 
ID:	69074
    Locals Only Brah.