Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone really think Amazon will be flying drones all over delivering stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by j5coat View Post
    I wonder how fast people will figure out how to down them and steal the packages lol

Project started months ago

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by j5coat View Post
    I wonder how fast people will figure out how to down them and steal the packages lol
    They will have cameras and GPS on them, so if you shoot one down, expect the police to be at your door w/ evidence of the crime.

^^ for every problem there are always solutions

Navigator
    Well, if you're determined enough, I do believe it's possible

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    They will have cameras and GPS on them, so if you shoot one down, expect the police to be at your door w/ evidence of the crime.
    There are numerous methods for bringing one down that doesn't involve the use of firearms and would appear to the operator as a system failure.

And them comes the "hey Amazon your drone crashed onto my property, you can stop by and pick it up any time you wish, but do remember to bring a check to cover the damage claim, recovery fee, storage fee and any other miscellaneous fee's I can come up with."

Or just go blonde "you say you lost a drone back there, funny I haven't didn't see any drones back there, you sure you have the right location, cause like I said I didn't see any drones back there and no you can't come onto my property and look around pal."

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Imagine the number of batteries and chargers they will need. That alone makes it impractical without VERY high delivery fees.

Unless they are going gas which would be very politically incorrect these days.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcavanaugh View Post
    Imagine the number of batteries and chargers they will need. That alone makes it impractical without VERY high delivery fees.

Unless they are going gas which would be very politically incorrect these days.
    Actually, this is a little easier than you might think. These will likely have a dedicated battery and a charging station. They'll land on the charging station and be charged up without needing to change anything.
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Actually, this is a little easier than you might think. These will likely have a dedicated battery and a charging station. They'll land on the charging station and be charged up without needing to change anything.
    This stills seems inefficient, time wise and equipment wise. I assume they can only fly in VFR conditions and no night flying, so the day is limited. The UAV will spend about 1/2 its day on a charger unless they are going to quick charge it at a very high C rate and have a shorter battery life. The costs of this are going to be amazingly high. I would think a quick change battery would keep the devices flying more. Just like an airliner, shorten the time at the gate and you make more money. Not flying, not earning.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcavanaugh View Post
    This stills seems inefficient, time wise and equipment wise. I assume they can only fly in VFR conditions and no night flying, so the day is limited. The UAV will spend about 1/2 its day on a charger unless they are going to quick charge it at a very high C rate and have a shorter battery life. The costs of this are going to be amazingly high. I would think a quick change battery would keep the devices flying more. Just like an airliner, shorten the time at the gate and you make more money. Not flying, not earning.
    Why VFR only? There is no visual requirement for a drone. They use sensors and GPS as well as ADS-B which is more state of the art than most things full scale aircraft use. If anything, they're better equipped for IFR.

Mind you the goal of this is not cheap... it is speed. People are increasingly impatient. That's where this excels. They can get products to your door in hours instead of days. it will be more expensive... but even faster than overnight. That's what Amazon is going after: the fastest shipping method in the World.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

I don't see letting it land...ever.. but be wary, Amazon is making lots of noise in DC and what they are thinking about is 100' to 400' belongs to them and in 30 mile circles to boot.
    So every Amazon "drone zone" is 30 miles in diameter and will occupy the altitudes of 100' to 400'.

Think about that for a moment.
    Locals Only Brah.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast