Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone really think Amazon will be flying drones all over delivering stuff?

Navigator
    It's definitely happening.

If you look in to all the horrible laws that are killing our hobby, you can find a lot of them are actually being suggested by Amazon, in order to control where we can go, and give themselves huge chunks of airspace.
    (Sorry this sounds sort of conspiracy crazy, but the posts are on diydrones with documentation, meeting notes, etc, between Amazon and the FAA, and amazon is very concerned about the dangers of unprofessional hobbyists filling the sky, and suggesting all sorts of regulation that could help)

Navigator
    Cool video sim_io. Of course it is technically possible but the air traffic control systems and FAA certification process and standards are some time in the future. The economics of drone delivery work with a dense population and that means flying over a lot of people, which will require high demonstrated reliability and de-conflicting with other drones and manned aircraft. It appears that most of the prototypes are multi-rotors (they can land in a small area) which have a much more limited range than fixed wing "drones." This raises the customer density sufficient to justify a flight distribution center.

Navigator
    Cool video sim_io. Of course it is technically possible but the air traffic control systems and FAA certification process and standards are some time in the future. The economics of drone delivery work with a dense population and that means flying over a lot of people, which will require high demonstrated reliability and de-conflicting with other drones and manned aircraft. It appears that most of the prototypes are multi-rotors (they can land in a small area) which have a much more limited range than fixed wing "drones." This raises the customer density sufficient to justify a flight distribution center.

Obviously, at the start, it will be a money losing proposition - even for a brewery doing six-pack delivery to ice fishermen. Downtown metropolitan areas are the prime market. But we need to remember that it doesn't take losing very many motors, esc's, etc. to bring a multirotor down, and when they come down their flight path is pretty much the same as a brick with high-energy-density batteries.

I love that they are working on this, and it will become a reality. My suggestion is to clear the way for agricultural and other commercial uses that are less likely to cause injuries and property damage ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Overshoot View Post
    Downtown metropolitan areas are the prime market. But we need to remember that it doesn't take losing very many motors, esc's, etc. to bring a multirotor down, and when they come down their flight path is pretty much the same as a brick with high-energy-density batteries.
    And in the U.S., unlike China, if someone gets a crick in their neck from watching a deep pocket corporate drone fly by, they are going to retain a personal injury attorney and sue someone.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Also in the U.S. the degrading environmental effects from the drone noise that will be impeding the natural order of things in the wetlands,bird sanctuary's and widget fortitude areas .... this will definitely have to have at least a ten year; multi billion dollar study before any damage is allowed to occur.

shouldn't be too hard with ADS-B around the corner

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    I'm with sim_io on this. I expect to see it in 4-5 years. I was thinking you would use your smart phone as the landing pad, but it appears Amazon has designed their own landing pad. here's how the first deliveries will likely work:

A representative comes out to your home for an inspection and hands you a landing pad. They look around and determine the best place to put it. When you order, the drone will use multiple cameras to create spacial awareness and avoid obstacles not noted in the inspection. An operator will be sitting at a control center monitoring the flight via a facetime type application using a cellular network. The drone's location will be broadcast through ADS-B to avoid collisions with other aircraft. The flight data will also be transmitted to all nearby air control towers to be imposed on their radar.

As difficult as it seems, this is actually quite easy. The real trick is carrying the payload more than 4 miles.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Liability has to be huge. One kid struck by a prop and there will be some big lawsuits. Operators will not be able to control a heavily loaded drone with a mechanical failure during flight. If you make enough flights over populated areas, there will be a failure. Safety to those on the ground will be the biggest hurdle. Next will be the rednecks with shotguns shooting them down.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcavanaugh View Post
    Liability has to be huge. One kid struck by a prop and there will be some big lawsuits. Operators will not be able to control a heavily loaded drone with a mechanical failure during flight. If you make enough flights over populated areas, there will be a failure. Safety to those on the ground will be the biggest hurdle. Next will be the rednecks with shotguns shooting them down.
    And there's such a thing in liability law called an "attractive nuisance" which basically means if you have something somewhere that no one is supposed to mess with but some kid thinks it looks cool so he can get close to it and he gets his ear cut off, it's not the kid's fault, it's yours.

I could see maybe for commercial use a business could cordon off an area for important business packages. But I still have my doubts about use in residential neighborhoods.
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

I wonder how fast people will figure out how to down them and steal the packages lol
    Not an expert, just follow direction well....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast