Page 45 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: FAA registration - what you need to know (11/23/2015)

Forum Member
    SiMul, Do you know where the link for the registration is? I found this, https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ but there is no place to click to register
    P.S. I just got my badge thanks for the link
    Liam

Forum Member
    That's legal? Creating a badge with a known organizations name on it and using it for identification purposes? I have no clue if writing it on a piece of paper or having it engraved into a badge is any different from one another... Just know the faa does issue badges to some departments within their organization.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    SiMul, Do you know where the link for the registration is? I found this, https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ but there is no place to click to register
    Liam

You're a day early, The registration site isn't scheduled to open until tomorrow December 21st. What number did you order on your badge? wouldn't you want to actually wait for your registration number before ordering a badge?

Forum Member
    I cancelled the badge order, it was a good idea but Hoss is right on his post. I have been a fed for years and did a quick check with a friend and found out you DO NOT put the FAA, you will be impersonating a federal officer/official and you will do REAL jail time. THANKS Hoss!
    Liam

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Liam
    AFAIK, it's not available until tomorrow, the 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    That's legal? Creating a badge with a known organizations name on it and using it for identification purposes? I have no clue if writing it on a piece of paper or having it engraved into a badge is any different from one another... Just know the faa does issue badges to some departments within their organization.
    I'll have to look this up. If that's the case, then we can just leave FAA off of it.

Forum Member
    Official FPVLAB Drone Operator

Forum Member
    Yeah, if someone is planning on being the first in the door and registering at 00:00:01, if you could post some details here that would be great. Namely, registration pattern (what identifying letter followed by how many numbers), maybe a screenshot of any instructions they give to you or anything else you think is interesting. I'm sure we're all curious as to how they're presenting and handling this from the get-go of registration. Thanks.

Forum Member
    How bout bets on if the registration site even comes up at midnight.

Forum Member
    I was going to try to register F-A-S-T, to get as low/early a number as I could, BUT..... changed my mind and will follow the AMA's request for now, and not register yet. I will however register if the AMA is not successful.
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kross1 View Post
    I was going to try to register F-A-S-T, to get as low/early a number as I could, BUT..... changed my mind and will follow the AMA's request for now, and not register yet. I will however register if the AMA is not successful.
    Yeah, my hunch is that registrant # 1 and registrant # 739 will be indistinguishable from the standpoint of who registered first. I doubt they'd start at 00001 and count on. It's more likely to be random, imo. That's strictly speculation though. I know if you're looking to register a full scale, you can pick your number rather than be assigned one, providing it's available that is. I'll play with the site, short of registering and try to figure out what it's all about.

Now that I'm thinking about this a little, It wouldn't be that big of a concession by the faa if they were to allow the ama to "manage its own members". In the response sent to the faa by the ama, the ama mentioned that the registration into the new system by ama members didn't make sense because their members already are registered with an organization, have a registration number and that registration number is already displayed on all aircraft flown. I personally wasn't aware that I was supposed to put my ama id on my aircraft, but that's beside the point, as they said it. What that would mean for the faa is 2 things:

1, they would have to go to the ama in the event that they needed to identify a pilot

2, which is why they may not do it - if that member did not put their number on the aircraft, the reprimand and penalties would come from the ama, not the faa... essentially removing their authority in the matter.

I don't know. Probably better off saving my powers of speculation in favor of waiting to see what actually happens...

Page 45 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast