Thread: ReadyMade RC Mini 3 Axis Mobius Gimbal - disappointing

ReadyMade RC Mini 3 Axis Mobius Gimbal - disappointing

I purchased this recently, and then wrote a review on the ReadyMadeRC site last week (giving it 1 star). The review has not been approved , so I thought I would post here.

The gimbal looks really good, with concealed wiring. Its also prebalanced and pretuned for a Mobius (a RunCam also works).

The set comes with a USB to mini-molex(?) connector, which looks like it is meant for AV out. There are also two wires (yellow and black) to a servo plug, which come out of the board. The manual identifies these as AV out.

However, there is NO place to plug in the mini-molex! This means the yellow/black pair has no function at all.

What is more, when trying to plug in any AV out cable into a Mobius or Runcam, the USB plug jams against the gimbal. There is only about 1mm clearance behind the camera - far too little for any AV out connector.

This is not up to the usual RMRC standard. There should at very least be a warning on the product description. But even then, what is the point of a pointable gimbal, if you cannot see from the ground what it is pointing at?

Better, there should be a solution for this - I can think of two possibilities.

1. The gimbal could be designed as a mirror image of itself, which would make the USB socket clear the gimbal body. It may be possible to disassemble it, and put it back together reversed, but this may require new holes being drilled, as the body is secured via 3 holes (ie. not symmetric). If so, some instructions in the product description would be nice.
    2. RMRC could supply a super-slimline USB AV out cable.

RMRC is a trustworthy site, and usually one knows they understand FPV. This product is not up to their usual standard - a gimbal with no possibility of AV out?? Come on Tim!

I have subsequently made a slimline USB AV out for the RunCam (for Mobius it would be similar), which is not easy to do. If there is interest here I can post photos of some build steps for that.

Cool Making an ultra slimline USB for AV out

The first step was removing the PCB from the back of a 10ping USB connector.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiniUSBApart.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	68108
    Next, with thin wires soldered in, and pins shorted as required.

Name:	MiniUSBSoldred.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	68109
    A layer or two of epoxy to keep it all in place

Name:	MiniUSBEpoxy.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	68110
    And finally, inserted into the camera

Name:	MiniUSBIn.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	68111
    This just fits in and clears the gimbal.

"I know nothing! Nothing! Sgt. Schultz's Avatar
    RMRC must have read your thread,
    **At this time the live video out is not incorporated, indcluded USB is not compatible.
    "I know nothing–NOTHING!

Yes, and they sent me a nice email. However... this still gives a distorted impression. It sounds like one just has to order a compatible cable, as opposed to the design making the use of any AV out cable virtually impossible. A controllable gimbal without being able to see where its pointing is definitely a limitation that should be made clear in the product description.

There is also apparently a connector on the board for video in, but it is covered by the case for some strange reason.

Its still a great gimbal, if you can make a cable like the above.

I still find it quit shaddy and bad practice that they knowingly wont publish your review. Makes all other reviews un trustwordy if that are moderated this way. Shame on them.
    I would have probably ordered this, but was lucky to find your post first.

Does anyone know where I can get the firmware for this gimbal? I made the mistake of flashing it with the Feiyu-Tech Mini 3D software and that seems to have killed it. At startup the arms all spin uncontrollably.
    KI7CBF

I did the same, and it span so hard it broke the internal stop lugs in the brushless motors, rendering the whole thing useless. It would be great if I could get replacement motors, or if RMRC documented this product properly...