FPVLAB

Thread: Orlando HamCation 2016 Friday Feburary 12 Thru Sunday Feburary 14 2016

Orlando HamCation 2016 Friday Feburary 12 Thru Sunday Feburary 14 2016

Mark your calendars and be sure to attend the 70th annual Orlando Amateur Radio Club HamCation at the Central Florida Fairgrounds and Expo Park in sunny Orlando Florida.

Dates and times are Friday February 12 9:00 Am to 6:00Pm, Saturday February 13 9:00 Am to 5:00 Pm and Sunday February 14 9:00 Am to 2:00 Pm.

Admission is $13 in advance $15 at the door.

Talk-in will be on 146.760 MHz, no PL tone required.

Lodging; Nearby hotels are offering group rates and on-site RV parking is available on a first reserved basis see link for more info.

http://www.hamcation.com/?page_id=463

Now you might say, what does a Hamfest have to do with model aircraft and FPV?

Well if for no other reason it would be to browse the swap-tables and tail-gate area where one can find all sorts of electronic components, communications gear, test equipment, wire and cable and coax, antennas and antenna parts and a few thousand other things you never knew you needed but will just have to take home.

Also if you fly FPV, more than likely you need to have a Ham ticket to stay legal, if you lack a ticket that can be quickly solved at one of the two licensing tests that will be administered on Saturday, if you have a Technician ticket, hit the books and step up to a General or Advanced Extra, what you force yourself to learn to make the grade or upgrade will serve you well when trying to dope out an electrical, electronic or RF problem down the road.

Interested in the latest in RF communications, then sit in on one or more of the forums and get the straight up info from folks who are already working with the technologies.

Ever tried to find a lost model, do you think you are good at it, well bring along your best DF gear and hunt the fox on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 Pm, if you are not a DF kinda person but would like to get some tips from folks who can find a weak signal transmitter in their sleep, then tag along as an observer and learn DF techniques from the pros.

http://orlandofoxhunt.com/

And don't forget to register you admission ticket at the prize booth and you may go home with one of two wideband 160m to 6m SDR's that will be given away courtesy the OARC or one of the $5000 in door prizes to be given out each hour of the event.

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 14th November 2015 at 09:17 AM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Unfortunately I know a bunch of FPV guys that use the Ham bands and don't care at all about getting legit... I got my Tech ticket years ago to lawfully use the bands and then a month later got General. After reading an article about EMCOMM I upgraded to Extra. The sad thing is that it is so easy to get a tech ticket. When I got my extra the test session was at UF and they had a same day study session/test to encourage people to get their tech ticket. Its that easy!

Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    Unfortunately I know a bunch of FPV guys that use the Ham bands and don't care at all about getting legit...
    Not a problem, they turn themselves into lightning rods which provides lots of cover for those who run legit and under the regulatory RADAR.

I got my Tech ticket years ago to lawfully use the bands and then a month later got General. After reading an article about EMCOMM I upgraded to Extra. The sad thing is that it is so easy to get a tech ticket. When I got my extra the test session was at UF and they had a same day study session/test to encourage people to get their tech ticket. Its that easy!
    Easy for you, but there are people out there who cannot get their head wrapped around the most basic parts of electronics, nor less RF, yet they consider themselves to be qualified to build something operated remotely by electronics and radio.

That's like O2moronic.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

I guess I should throw in a disclaimer... While you can study for and get your tech ticket in one day!!!, I went thru 8 months of electronics training at Keesler AFB and worked 5 years active duty as an avionics tech and another 2.5 years on the civilian side working electronics...

Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    While you can study for and get your tech ticket in one day!!!, I went thru 8 months of electronics training at Keesler AFB and worked 5 years active duty as an avionics tech and another 2.5 years on the civilian side working electronics...
    And that is the difference between understanding the correct answer to the questions on the test, versus remembering the test matrix and IMO he who does the latter, has no business building, nor less flying high risk devices involving radio control at any distance beyond line of sight.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.