Thread: New DIY nano clover-leaf!

Shedding light over FPV HugeOne's Avatar

New DIY nano clover-leaf!

Connector-less version of our popular nano-cloverleaf. For the tinkerers who solder their antennas right on the VTx for ultimate small size and weight reduction.
    In stock at RMRC!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nanosanscon.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	67878

-Hugo

Ah, dammit... I was hoping to see some new invented CP, smaller than standard size or smth, rather than standard CP without SMA
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

The nano-clover was first built with U.fl connector to accommodate AltitudeRC's nano Vtx, so it was named "nano".
    This version remove the connector and lower the price, sorry for the false hope

In order to create the 90deg delay needed for circular propagation, you need certain distance between lobes. That distance is relative to the speed of the wave propagate in the air (pretty much the speed of light). Having another medium than air will slow down the propagation and therefore the size of the antenna. That size reduction will then cost you a weight increase and an efficiency decrease due to higher losses associated with heavier medium. Theses compromises are not worth it for our applications I believe. That being said, this antenna is the lightest you can find. (less than 1g)

-Hugo

Co-Pilot
    Looks to me like too much gap between the end of the coax and the start of the leaves. What's the SWR on these antennas?

Name:	NANOCL2.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	67893

This is the typical SWR curve of the nano-CL. That feed length is well under control for multiples reasons; it's radius is quite large making it "electrically" shorter, the design of the clover-leaf is more tolerant to wider feedgap and the cable is relatively short, further preventing unbalance issue. This is in order to fit a teflon bushing that strengthen the antenna's weakest spot at minimum weight.
    Don't worry Bruce, I particularly intolerant to compromises when I design my antennas.

Name:	altiture-rc-tinyvtx-nano-58-ghz-circular-polarized-antenna-.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	67895
    The image above show a poorly designed feed, the bushing's large area create a capacitor that throw SWR and circularity off. Also note that the connector is not soldered and just crimped waiting to fall off.

-Hugo
    Last edited by HugeOne; 12th November 2015 at 04:57 PM.

Co-Pilot
    Good to hear. A long feed-length can be compensated for (although it will still have some effect on polarization) but (as I pointed out in a recent video), the capacitive loading of those crappy Chinese CL antennas really impacts their performance.

Nice to see the SWR graph.