Thread: international shipping

Navigator

international shipping

Ever wondered what the speed difference is between a few dollars on international shipping?

I purchased some stuff from the crew at getFPV.com and I put half the order on UPS expedited...other half on UPS worldwide saver.
    The cost difference is $1.73 USD. The speed difference you can see for yourselves.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/...x=46&track.y=9

https://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/...x=46&track.y=9

So 1 went to Botany Australia being still in transit and 1 went to Botany Auckland NZ final destination but still in transit according to the tracking on the same day
    Last edited by STI-REX; 2nd November 2015 at 02:08 AM.
    4 wheels moving body 2 wheels moving soul

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by STI-REX View Post
    So 1 went to Botany Australia and 1 went to Botany Auckland according to the tracking on the same day
    Basically 1hr earlier. Customs clearance in NZ should be interesting. DHL has always been the fastest for any international shipment. UPS seem quick getting shipments to NZ...Be interesting to see what gets delivered first. I also have a RMRC package coming expedited, shipped on same date. Shipping to Australia seems pretty quick.

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    Basically 1hr earlier. Customs clearance in NZ should be interesting. DHL has always been the fastest for any international shipment. UPS seem quick getting shipments to NZ...Be interesting to see what gets delivered first. I also have a RMRC package coming expedited, shipped on same date. Shipping to Australia seems pretty quick.
    In my experience, DHL gets stuff from the country of origin to NZ Customs *very* quickly but then (for some reason) it invariably sits in customs for two days or more before being cleared with "more information is required for the clearance of this item" being displayed as the status. I've had packages that have spent twice as long waiting for clearance as it took for them to travel from half way around the world to NZ in the first place.

Other couriers may take a little longer to reach NZ (but only by a day or so) yet they have *no* holdups with NZ Customs.

I wonder why DHL consignments take so damned long to clear?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post

I wonder why DHL consignments take so damned long to clear?
    I would like to know why too. Just had a package take 2 days from europe to NZ via DHL...and its sat their for 2 days as well?

Just out of interest xjet, in your experience with hobbyking...what are your thoughts about the various shipping methods for New Zealanders??

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    In my experience, DHL gets stuff from the country of origin to NZ Customs *very* quickly but then (for some reason) it invariably sits in customs for two days or more before being cleared with "more information is required for the clearance of this item" being displayed as the status. I've had packages that have spent twice as long waiting for clearance as it took for them to travel from half way around the world to NZ in the first place.

Other couriers may take a little longer to reach NZ (but only by a day or so) yet they have *no* holdups with NZ Customs.
    Some couriers (I'd assume DHL included) submit their customs paperwork to the receiving country prior to their departure. The benefit is an increased approval speed once landed. This shows up as having hit local customs for approval when it's really still at the source country or in the air.

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    I would like to know why too. Just had a package take 2 days from europe to NZ via DHL...and its sat their for 2 days as well?

Just out of interest xjet, in your experience with hobbyking...what are your thoughts about the various shipping methods for New Zealanders??
    The $14 DHL option for small shipments is still the fastest, cheapest and most reliable for most stuff. EMS is okay but you play a bit of a game of Russian Roulette with your package. Sometimes it arrives in mint condition when sent EMS but other times they obviously hand it over to the Chinese soccer team to play a few matches with first and it comes looking like a ball of toilet paper.

I never use airmail or registered airmail because it's generally slow and less reliable for not much (if any) savings in price.