Thread: Confused about Lawmate EVO-500

Forum Member

Confused about Lawmate EVO-500

Hi there,

I've got this EVO-500 and successfully used it to record video from analog sources, either directly from PAL camera or a 2.4 Ghz receiver.

The EVO-500 allegedly supports digital cam input as well, although I'm not sure this means "any" HDMI source, or whether the HDMI support is just the shape of the plug. I dug things online and couldn't discover any projects where people have connected any HDMI source to the DVR and got it to work. All material leads to 2 different cams specifically created for this digital "in" to the DVR.

So I was just wondering whether the device is actually supporting standard HDMI inputs and I could just purchase one of those $1 HDMI plug converters and record HDMI from there? anyone?

Forum Member
    The HDMI input source on the EVO-500 is *not* a standard HDMI input. When the plug went in, the EVO-500 consistently rebooted and didn't show any image at all. Looks like the digital camera's for the EVO use customized hardware or protocols. So the EVO-500 is pretty much useless for recording HD, unless you use the specific lawmate digital cam's (which are probably just PAL/NTSC signals through an HDMI cable or something). I recommend not connecting standard HDMI devices, because it looks like it may damage it in the end. Considering sending them an email to confirm.

Forum Member
    I sent out a mail to the supplier of my EVO and he's so kind to get official confirmation what's up with that port. Once I found out more, I'll post it here.

Forum Member
    Ah... so my EVO came back. Don't plug anything into the mini HDMI port unless it's one of their camera's. The HDMI plug is not used for HDMI, it's a custom protocol and voltage. Anything else on those lines, like the output of some HDMI device will basically blow your chip.